Venerable Dreadnaughts for assault - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Venerable Dreadnaughts for assault

Im building a very shooty army, with honour your wargear and heed the wisdom of the ancients. With elite devstators squads, a shooty librarian and command squad, and scouts outflanking, shoild i be looking to assault with the venerable dreadnaughts, or hold back and try and drop the enemy before he gets to me?

Space Marines are the gateway drug

If everyone makes fun of West Virginia, who does West Virginia make fun of?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would just use the dread for counter attack and get the enemy before he charges one of ur units (of course give dread a ranged wep so he can shoot with rest of ur army) or use drop pods and get them in assault quick

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

Sure keep the Dreadnought. But if that is your only assault unit, that would be foolish. If your Dread gets tied up with a for instance an Ork Mob then your stuck there only getting two fist attacks a turn against a mob with 16 Boyz in it. Then you think, "But they can't do anything to it." Exactly why he attacked in the first place. He sacrifices one unit to allow the others to get around. Then if they break, they mob up and attack again, keeping the Dreadnought out of the game. I guess what you should do is bring 1 or 2 other assault units to support the Dreadnought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

Back up your dread with an assault squad and keep them in cover to pounce on any assaulting units and help out the dread if he gets in over his head. These two units should break an enemies assault before it hits your line.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id say if your going to go with a shooty army like that, you might as well just go full on shooty and take lots of Missile Launchers and Plasma Cannons in your Dev Squads.

So if i was in your situation i would just get an assault squad instead and just sit them behinds cover and then jump them to assault if the enemy does make it to your lines.

Also how many dreads were you thinking of taking? If its any less then about 3 i suggest not to,because they will most likely not cause too much trouble taking them down.

Its up to you though but its just not my style of play i suppose, and im assuming you plan on drop podding them right? Or are you going to keep them on your lines and then move them up into assault when your enemy comes to you?

But yeah as i said before i reccomend a assault squad with perhaps a chaplain in it, and of course give the serg a powerfist. This squad should be able hold its ground against most things you will come across.

Cheers,
    Tycho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had planned on using two, but that seems to be a bad idea.

Tell me more about this chaplain assault squad combo. assault squad is pretty straight forward(Vet Sarge, Powerfist, plasma pistolo, two plasma pistolos) but what of the chaplain. I personnally love lightning claws. Would that be a points sink?

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

The chaplain led assault squad, when at full strength is a close combat monster. For instance when you charge, the chaplain has at most 6 attacks, (by the way dont give commanders Plas Pistols, don't want to lose unnecessary wounds.) and re rolls hits. At full strength the Assault squad will get 27 I4 attacks that re roll and the Sergeant will get 4 I1 attacks that re roll (dont give the sergeant a PP either, dont want to lose that powerfist). In any battle that I have played, this combination just hands my opponent his arse.:x Trust me take this combo. I'm sure plenty of people can vouch for this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would lightning claws be too expensive and wasteful on the chappy? Should i just stick with the Crzius Arcanum and a bolt pistol?

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

Depends really. My terminator chappie has a set of claws taken from a new cc terminator and boy does it look sweet! Also 6 attacks that re roll misses and re roll wounds on the charge is a lil side benefit
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Level 20 Alpharius Handbag of Joy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-.- close combat dready... awful awful memories...

My current army used to have a vene dread with a assault cannon and the furious charge skill..... poor dready, never even got to use it... also i had the traits take the battle to them and no mercy/respite, so in all my two 10 men squads of marines ate up all my points, and the beefed up chaplain did not help... I made a huge mistake I'll never make again so I changed my army to a vene dread with assault cannon and the tank hunter skill, much more use to him than FC. (also I got rid of FC for the troops and unbeefed my chappy, leaving room for a nifty assault squad :shifty: )

+ Reply to Thread