Deathworld Veterans Phase II - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Can regular IG armies use DW veteran units?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, one unit only

3 9.68%
  • Multiple units

8 25.81%
  • Only with Jungle Fighters

11 35.48%
  • No

6 19.35%
  • Other

3 9.68%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Deathworld Veterans Phase II

Regarding the use of Deathworld Veterans in a standard Guard army, as discussed in this thread.

What do you think? Rationalizations please.

EDIT: My rationalization is that GW was just being lazy and forgot to edit their article all the way through... I don't want it to be true though...

Last edited by Imperialis_Dominatus; April 29th, 2006 at 17:21.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

I said "other", because I think it would really all depend on whose tourney you're playing in. The conflicting evidence makes it so it's whatever you can barter with your opponent, I guess...
    Personally, I think deathworld stuff is not a good idea. I think they contradict the IG Way, and are also a waste of points for some not-so-good abilities. I mean, the devils are practically as much as SM's, and are missing a LOT of the stats and stuff that marines have access to.
    But, if somebody wanted to use them for fluff reasons or something then I personally wouldn't mind, but I could see it starting a problem at a tournament.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also and I don't know if you this matters much but for all Games Day 2006 Codex: Catachans is not a legal IG Codex for the GT. So at least in GW terms its not a viable option.

But ultimately, its what ever your opponent lets you get away with.

Just beyond the veil of reality (the darkness comes!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said other.

I think that it's technically possible if you interpret the rules exactly as is. However, unless you're taking a jungle fighting themed army, or at the very least playing with Jungle rules.

So, using a deathworld sniper in an army that's either playing jungle fighting rules or is at least featuring elements of a Jungle Fighting army, go for it.

But don't abuse it though. If you're playing a doctrines army, and one of those doctrines isn't Jungle Fighters, I would say that's just abusing the rules.
    "And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
    - Rome: Total War

my armies
    9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
    Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
    Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i said one, there is only one good unit anyway which is obviously the snipers
    Where there's a will there's a weapon

Senior Member Shas'o Tau Dev'n Kauyon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)
    Sig by:Knape, The Celestial, and Marlinspike, thanks guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well that ends this conversation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -41 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by geom
    i said one, there is only one good unit anyway which is obviously the snipers
    lol... devils, assault squads etc.

the reason catachan devils are so bloomin expensive (13pts) is because of the 'ambush' rule, which effectivly could get you an open shot with 3 special weapons and then a charge... all outa nowhere. i agree though... they are still expensive as hell...

still love em though
    -SONS of RUSS member-

Exiled until 5thED redo...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they arent my thing but i love the snipers and all snipers should be like it. by the way you cant use deathworld stuff unless you are using jungle rules and its unlikely most opponents would agree to use those rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The following is a quote from the Games Workshop site as you get to the link to the Catachan Codex:

"The Deathworld army list can be used in two ways. First, you can use it to add units of Deathworld Veterans to a standard Imperial Guard force. These additions represent detachments from a Deathworld Veteran army that has been at war for a considerable period of time and has been moved from one warzone to another. These detachments are being combined with elements of other Imperial Guard regiments along the way."

"Second, the list can be used to field a "pure" Deathworld army to represent a force that has been recruited more recently. It is a relatively lightly armed force that uses its skills in jungle warfare to balance its lack of big guns or tanks."

I don't know how to interpret that any way other than that you can use any of the units in the codex and add them to a standard force. Any claim to the otherwise is news to me (but certainly not impossible) because there is simply no direct literature to support it. I keep hearing that you can only use one unit or something like that, but other than just rumor I don't know where that comes from. Hope the quotes above help close the debate.
    "No dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You win a war by making the other dumb bastard die for his country." General George S. Patton, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast