Drop Trooping, Opinion of - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Y2K
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop Trooping, Opinion of

Dear Librarium Onliners,
    I'm just seeking a bit of feed back and opinions about the occasional IG strategy to throw their men into enemy lines, of course I am aware that it is certainly useful if timed and used correctly.

a) Why exactly is Drop trooping labelled POWER GAMING by many players?

b) Any quick advice to share about drop trooping?

Thanks for your time,
    Rob

RG

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Y2K
    Dear Librarium Onliners,
    I'm just seeking a bit of feed back and opinions about the occasional IG strategy to throw their men into enemy lines, of course I am aware that it is certainly useful if timed and used correctly.

a) Why exactly is Drop trooping labelled POWER GAMING by many players?

b) Any quick advice to share about drop trooping?

Thanks for your time,
    Rob
    It depends on the amount of troops being dropped. No player would have a problem with a squad of Storm Troopers or two deep striking onto the table with the task of taking out tanks or attempting to snipe a HQ, as most players expect such a thing to happen against pretty much every army they face.

Facing against armies that drop almost everything is not fun or balanced at all, hence, powergaming. The problem regarding drop troops is that it can be used to radically control your opponent's deployment each game by starting with either a few or no models on the table, in essence tailoring your army to the opponent you face. There are disadvantages, of course- models can be lost, and a good opponent will space his squads out in such a way that it makes it difficult to drop into his lines or get a clear shot at rear armour, but this does nothing when your army is assault based and won't even know where you've committed yourself until the third turn! However, guard armies are usually high on numbers, and so the disadvantages faced by not getting things on when you need them is often negated. Drop troops can be used in moderation, and in a themed army is a fine choice, but overdone it simply makes the outcome of the battle depend on your scatter roles, not tactics.

As to advice regarding the doctrine, as it costs nothing anything that can take it should be given it, but in order to avoid charges of powergaming restricting it to squads you usually would drop is a good idea. Each squad should have a role- that is, special weapons squads armed with two meltas and a plasma to take out tanks, and each squad should have a partner squad tasked with the same role, in order to get things where you need them. The best role for drop troops is similar to the role mentioned above for stormies- taking out tanks, and I've thus found using the doctrine along with special weapon squads seems to be the most effective way of using it. They can also claim table quarters, although this isn't quite as effective.

The other doctrine that needs mentioning is close order drill, as like dropping it costs nothing, but when you drop your entire squad will be in base to base contact anyway, giving you a slight advantage in combat.

That is all.
    Last edited by Sophia; May 1st, 2006 at 13:48.

Y2K
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah... Interesting response, thanks for your time!
    RG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but the same could be said for mech or li but what makes the difference is that drop troops is a free option where as mech costs you at least 70 pts per squad where and LI 10.

imo Drop troops really only works really well on a huge table (say 6x4 or bigger) or small pt games because in a 2000 point or larger battle smaller tables are so packed with models that unless your opponent groups his units tightly you'll have to wait 2-3 turns until they're far enough away form their deployment zones to give you a clear field of fire.

But no matter how big or small the table or the game you play happens to be if you always play your 1-2 squads of drop troops right you'll always be a "power gamer" because they'll have meltas/PGs and be Command squad/Vehicle killers extra ordinaire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dropping sentinels with some autocannons or lascannons is particularly useful for tank hunting or as an annoyance. The only thing i dislike about droop troops is that any infantry that do drop behind enemy lines might as well be considered casualties of war instantly. the chance of survival is low even with stormtroopers.
    Where there's a will there's a weapon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But lets look at it from the otherhand as well. We have a bunch of relatively week low T slow troops that are out classed by every other race on almost all of their stats. The ability to drop a surgical strike "suicide" squad to nip a tank or HQ might be the only viable option vs fast opponents like Tau who can move out shoot and then dash away behind cover again making it nearly impossible to employ our combat multipliers (heavy weapons supremacy and numerous direct fire vehicles) at them.

Now power gamers might use smallest allowable squads (or with with more guy for the even number) with max weapons. True it is points conservative vice taking 10 guys. However, this capability of deepstriking does add quite a bit to the tactical capabilities of the guard. Additionally, it isn't beardy or cheesy, even if you have the maximum units dropping in from all over the place.

Reviewing the last WD it seems the marines do this all the time with thier drop pods anyway for the dread-terminator-troop and assault marine armies. Now for us it can be cheap too because if we aren't lugging all the heavy weapons around it allows maximum special weapons and "meat shields" to be fielded. If you have 2-3 platoons with a melta or plasma in each squad you have some decent anti-armor anti-MEQ capabilities. Furthermore, with a plt HQ with 2-4 plasmas + 4 squads with plasmas + remnants with plasma you can dog pile any lone elements in HTH with those 50 troops... sure we suck at hand to hand combat, until you bury them under a swarm of IG bodies.

So I would say it is go heavy or just do the 2 suicide squads. Unfortunately I am Mechanized /Grenadier so dropping isn't an option for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the dropping, sometimes squads drop on target, sometimes they scatter too far or are lost, but its part of the fun. Dropping IG can easily be seen as powergaming, we got numbers, we got more special weapons than anyone else, we drop whole platoons with one single roll, instead of rolling for every squad. I can easily understand why opponents cry powergame when they see a command section with 4 melta and a plasma pistol, or a special weapons team with democharge, materializing behind their tank or HQ. Antitank\meq dropping melta units can also be made sharpshooters, to get the best from their free fire turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just played a game using 2 drop trooping sentinels. i basically obliterated my opponents heavy support by the third turn and went on to win the game. in a 1000 point game with 20 stormtroopers and 20 hardened veterans i lost only 4 veterans. just goes to show that drop trooping in the right hands can be very successfull.
    Where there's a will there's a weapon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Drop trooping never seemed cheesy to me. If anything, I think it's very risky and can easily go to your opponent's favor.

1) It splits your firebase. Reserves means you have fewer units on the table to take hits or flash flashlights. Until those reserves come in, you will be fighting a seriously disadvantaged fight against overwhelming odds. When the reserves finally do come in, they will need to quickly get busy making the points back that you have lost because they weren't there to start with.

2) Reserves rolls suck! Without a "comms" or whatever it is, you will be lucky to get your reserves in before turn 4, at which point the game is wrapping up anyways. Even with a comms, you are still not coming in until turn 3 or later usually, which is still a large chunk of the game.

3) Scatter rules suck, too! If you go off the board, or onto enemy units or impassable terrain, they all die. Also, you can't go into the enemy deployment zone, so that defiler/basalisk with indirect fire can't even be touched by drop troops.

So basically, drop trooping is a big gamble. I think that it might be sensible to drop in a demo charge or a melta squad, but I would rather have another couple heavy weapons instead.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I've never seen Drop tropping IG as power gaming...And neither has anyone else I know.

Back when I played Harakoni Warhawks my opponents would laugh when I started out with only My HQ, 2 sentinels and a bassie on the table. Mostly because I suck with scatter dice, and my friends loved to watch me cry after losing 200 pts worth of bodies to a Ruined altar...

I'd say it's fairly balanced, you get it for free but watch out for terrain!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast