Help Me and my Army please! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Me and my Army please!

I play a pure DH force with a DH with Rhino a Grandmaster, 2 Squads of 8 Knights a Dread with Ass. Cannon and CCW and usually some filler if needed but that is the core. Any advie would be helpful.

DH:

Plasma Pistol & Daemon Hammer
    Artificer Armor
    Sacred incense
    Grimore of True Names
    Bionics
    Icon of the Just
    2 Plamsa Gun Warriors and a CC Servitor
    Rhino Transport w/ HK Missle, Extra Storm Bolter, EX Armor, Dozer Balde, Smoke launchers

Grand Master:

Default Nemesis Weapon and SB
    Bionics
    Holy Relic
    MC Nemesis Weapon

Eversor Assassin

GK Squad 1
    8 Knights with 2 Incinerators

GK Squad 2
    8 Knights with 2 Psycannons

GK Dread
    Blessed
    Extra Armor

Thats my default list. I add things like Stormtroopers as fillers and such because I have the models and they work well for me. But any suggestions as how I can make it more well rounded would be appreciated. LR I know is a must but conjuring up the cash is another issue. Thanks Guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

DH:

Plasma Pistol & Daemon Hammer
    Artificer Armor
    Sacred incense
    Grimore of True Names
    Bionics
    Icon of the Just
    2 Plamsa Gun Warriors and a CC Servitor
    Rhino Transport w/ HK Missle, Extra Storm Bolter, EX Armor, Dozer Balde, Smoke launchers
    You need to specify if this is an HQ Inquisitor Lord or an Elite Inquisitor. Regardless, its terribly overloaded with unnecessary stuff.

First off, he has an expensive ranged weapon and an expensive melee weapon. He has expensive protection (artificer, icon, and bionics). He has Chaos & Daemon-specific items. His retinue is mixed for melee and ranged, and isn't very effective at either. And the Rhino has waaay too many upgrades (smoke launchers & extra armor is all you ever need!).

You need to make a decision with Inquisitors and Lord about what role they will serve on the table, and "multi-purpose" is a bad role for them to take! Since you have GK in this list, I suggest you make this a shooty Inquisitor/Lord (as opposed to a melee one, which will always be outclassed by the GK).

A good shooty Inq unit is basically an Inquisitor with one gun (usually a psycannon, but a bolter is fine if you're trying to save points), three gun Servitors (usually 2-3 Heavy Bolter servitors, and if room, 1 Plasma Cannon servitor), two Sages, and one Mystic. Cheap, and very effective for its points. The Sages exist to give a reroll to the unit (which should always be saved for the Plasma Cannon, as it can prevent an Overheat roll). The Mystic allows the unit to shoot at incoming Deepstrikers or Summoned Units - including Drop Pods! A single Heirophant would increase Ld, which can be handy in non-HQ Inq units. This unit would need no transport, as it should stand and shoot every turn!

A good assault Inq, in case you really want that for some reason (and you shouldn't: T3/S3 really reduces the ability of these units in melee when you're also fielding T4/S4 Grey Knights), follows the same principle of not overloading on expensive and ultimately useless items. Inquisitor with power armor (if its a Lord, this is free), a good melee weapon (I suggest a Force weapon, Daemonhammer, or pair of Lightning Claws), a bolt pistol (for +1 attack, and obviously not if you're buying him a pair of LCs), and thats it. Retinue of three warriors (I suggest NOT using combat servitors - expensive for what they can do and VERY fragile), probably 2 Vets with pistols/ccws and one Vet with flamer. Also one Familiar (for the Initiative bonus) and up to three Acolytes (with either: power armor, storm shields, or power weapon/bolt pistol). This unit, unlike the one above, DOES need a transport to be effective, as the inherent fragility of these models makes walking across the table a suicide mission.

I suggest you make this a shooty unit, and use an Elite Inquisitor over an HQ Inquisitor Lord - no need for the extra points spent, in my opinion.

Whew, that was long ^^

Grand Master:

Default Nemesis Weapon and SB
    Bionics
    Holy Relic
    MC Nemesis Weapon
    I'd drop the Holy Relic, really. With a Force Weapon, he doesn't need more than one attack hitting per turn. And it requires a lot of good maneuvering to get the full effect of it's one use. I'd save the points.

GK Squad 1
    8 Knights with 2 Incinerators

GK Squad 2
    8 Knights with 2 Psycannons
    Drop the incinerators in the first unit - a footslogging squad will rarely if ever set up a perfect charge that takes full advantage of those template weapons, and by paying for them you lose the +2 STR bonus, True Grit, and the Stormbolters on the models carrying them - basically making them ineffective at assault, and nothing more than extremely overpriced marines! The psycannons can stay, as that unit can be used as a longer-ranged firebase if necessary. I'd actually remove both incinerators and put one psycannon into each squad, if I had the choice.

GK Dread
    Blessed
    Extra Armor
    Dreadnoughts don't actually come with a weapon other than their CCW/stormbolter arm - you have to buy a gun for their other arm. You mention having an Assault Cannon at the beginning of your post, but without points totals I can't tell if you bought if for this guy. There are three Dreadnought builds that I suggest, depending on your common foes:
    * Twin-linked Lascannon (TLLC) & Missile Launcher (ML). This is good because both weapons are 48" and can crack enemy tanks while remaining (mostly) out of harm's way. Fairly common in DH armies because of our lack of long-ranged anti-armor.
    * Assault Cannon & CCW/Incinerator. This is a new favorite with the release of the new SM codex. Good for closing with the enemy and supporting your GK in melee while still being able to pop enemy armor. The AssCan is actually more likely to beat AV14 than a TLLC is, but you trade off range in the process.
    * Plasma Cannon & Missile Launcher. Good if you fight a lot of swarm armies (Tyranids, Guard, and to some extent Tau and Ork) with fairly low armor saves - the double blast templates at long ranges is really handy, in my experience. Not the best choice if you only field one Dreadnought, though, as DH armies can really use the anti-tank of the above two builds more.

I add things like Stormtroopers as fillers and such because I have the models and they work well for me.
    Nothing wrong with this. I use two IST units, one with 2x Plasma guns and one with 2x Meltaguns, both in Rhino transports.

LR I know is a must but conjuring up the cash is another issue.
    Actually, not true. Something like half the players here (myself included) don't use LRs or LRCs much (or at all). I think they're a huge waste - sure they're AV14, but they will still die to a single lucky lascannon shot. And in an army of expensive models, a 250+pt tank is ridiculous. On the other hand, some people swear by them. All I'm saying is that they're far from mandatory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, first off, in PAGK dont use more than one heavy weapon in suqds unless they are something like 5 in number, make a full squad, add the incinaerator to it, and have one leftover squad with psycannons as they will not need the numbers as much.( I take it you use the psycannons prudently).
    As megalo said, the inquisitor is too overloaded, he doesnt need the artificier armour, 3+ save and the icon are enough for aT3 guy who probably wont survive very long, maybe equip him with a storm bolter or something, take away the relic on the gm, the bionics on both take away the grimioire and just give the GM an icon, he is worth the 4+ invul.save, trust me.
    LRisnt a must, in fact it doesnt fit too well, I suggest LRC, it is more versatile and it is a better tank in general. but, if you cant afford the tank, take more dreads, they fit very well in this army. Get some I.S.T's they really are good troops and THEY are what you put into a rhino, give em some meltas and you have yourself one of the most effective anti tank squads the codex has to offer!
    The gold grey knight man. These are hardy men who like cheese.

Ever thought of how cheese was found?:
    Brother captain
    `` I say sah, the milk in this barrel smells foul!``

Grand master:
    ``Oooohhh, give it a go!``

''Quack, damn you!''
    -Jamie heinamen, Mythbusters.

+ Reply to Thread