Tactic Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tactic Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactic Question

Ok, I just read the "How to Defeat Tau With SM" Article, and it got me wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to do it with a pure GK list.

In my latest 1850 list, I run generally run with a troop heavy(SB's only) list w/ a GM and 4 termie retinue(2 PsyC, 2 TH/SS, & 1 S and 2 dreads(TLLC/ML & TLLC/DCCW) and it comes out to 47 models(not a bad amount for a pure GK list).

Now this list last weekend took out both Death Guard & Orks. So I'm thinking that it's a strong list and looking forward to this weekend's tourny to see how it does. It's alittle light on the AT as usual, but I believe it has what it takes to be competitive. Although I don't know what I'm going against, the Tau article got me thinking, since the last time I went against Tau, I got creamed!!

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreiciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member JuliusGaiusCaesar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, i would drop the Gm to a BC when facing Tau. He's only truly worth the points if he will be facing tough multi wound models like fex's, DP, and other MCs. Also, remember, psycannons are death to tau, so its good that you have them on those termies. Other than that, there is really not alot you can do against mech tau. You would need to take out his transports first, which won't be too easy, and even when you do, it will be hard to catch them. Well, these are the concrete facts of tau that I know. Personally, I've never lost to Tau, but I don't play them very often. I'll let other people offer some of the more experienced advice before i say anything else.
    Et imperator Invocato Diabolus Daemonica Exorcist!

Senior Member Phoenix Guard 1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau are kind of tough to beat, but they have enormous weaknesses, number one being the low toughness of the actuall guys. Everybody is so terrified of their guns that they fail to realize that a boltgun has a better chance of killed a firewarrior than a pulse rifle does a space marine and coupled with lower ld, a Marine squad will statistically outshoot a tau squad of equal size every time. Now, multiply that effectiveness by 2 for the multiple SB shots that GKs get, and you see that GKs are individually better at shooting than Tau.

The vehicles are tougher to kill than their armor would suggest, because they are skimmers, moving 6" or more will lower any hits to glancing. On the other hand, because they move around a lot, it is easier to get up the flank with a mounted anti-armor IST team where they can hit the sides or rear of the armor. Also keep in mind that if they move more than 6", an immobilizing hit will destroy them as well.

The remainder of the list is suits. A nearly universal tactic is to deploy suits just behind cover, walking them up into it, shooting, then jumping back behind it keeping you from retaliating. The best tactic in general is to run up 1 or the other flanks , denying the cover from the suits and forcing them into cc or fire lanes for your heavy support. You should probably bulk out your list with IG packing a lot of Heavy Bolters and some missile launchers/Lascannons.
    1500 years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe
    500 years ago everybody knew the world was flat
    5 minutes ago you knew humans were alone on the planet
    Imagine what you'll know tomorrow

Imagine-John Lennon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just beat tau again today, and the only thing I can say is rely on the terrain, make sure he NEVER gets his whole army shooting at you in one turn, One game he didnt shoot me with half his army for 2-3 turns, so this is very important. Dont forget the tau are weak in close combat ( I used to have em, trust me) so make sure you can get a nice amount of termies or grey knights attacking in close combat. Psycannons, Psycannons and more psycannon goodness. Deep strike is PRICELESS against tau, put em right next to their broadsides and the suchlike and blast em like theres no tomorrow!
    The gold grey knight man. These are hardy men who like cheese.

Ever thought of how cheese was found?:
    Brother captain
    `` I say sah, the milk in this barrel smells foul!``

Grand master:
    ``Oooohhh, give it a go!``

''Quack, damn you!''
    -Jamie heinamen, Mythbusters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I agree with Psycannons, a Purgation squad can rule Tau, not just for Firewarriors, but to get a lot of Skimmer glancing hits.

The other thing I like against Tau is inducted IG with Lascannons and Autocannons. Keep these squads in cover, and you have great Tansport and Broadside killers.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to let everyone know, I placed second in the tourny today, For me that's a big WHOO HOO!!
    Thanks for the imput guys, it gave me some direction to go with my tactics. Now I just got to figure out how to bet Dude's IF's and I'll be happy, LOL.

Oh, also I got a really cool moral victory, I THed one of the 3 Monoliths I went against and killed It!! And one of my Dreds killed another one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where are the "How to Defeat Tau With SM" article?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the home page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude thats great congrats and that is pretty cool that you killed 2 `liths`, did you win that game?
    The gold grey knight man. These are hardy men who like cheese.

Ever thought of how cheese was found?:
    Brother captain
    `` I say sah, the milk in this barrel smells foul!``

Grand master:
    ``Oooohhh, give it a go!``

''Quack, damn you!''
    -Jamie heinamen, Mythbusters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Yes I did!! :yes: