How many Terminatos? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

How many Terminators?

I am currently fielding a GM with four GKTs in his retinue in games of 2000pts. I am thinking about adding one more with a ThH and StSh but I know I have the tendency to go over board.

I probably wont add the 5th termie unless I down grade my GM to a BC but I am wondering how many terminators would be the MAXIMUM number you would consider fielding?

Last edited by Plasma Catcher; May 6th, 2006 at 17:20.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Thats a good question. I myself when done buying my army will have 2 squads of terminators. Only a five man team for each.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in 2000 pts i run with GM w/psycannon + 5 term 1 w/TH+SS

the TH/SS is a great way to go, altho against demon armies ive found its more effective to attach a terminator inquisitor w/daemonhammer to the squad instead.

Senior Member JuliusGaiusCaesar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 2,000 pts, i run a GKGM with 5 termies. At 3,000 however, I might run a second elite 5 man squad of termies as well. I don't use TH/SS very often, but this is usually because of the lists my normal opponents take.
    Et imperator Invocato Diabolus Daemonica Exorcist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

It depends how you are delivering your Termies and what you are using them to do.

Landraider: If you use one of these, I would have a BC and 4 termies with no upgrades other than an Incinerator. You don't need these guys to shoot, just assault out of Landraider and get into CC. Take a GM if you play against a lot of Monstrous Creatures like Tyranids.

Deepstiking: Here I like to have a BC with Psycannon and 5 - 6 Termies with perhaps one more Psycannon. The squad needs to dish out some punishment when it drops in and can't assault for a turn. It also needs to be able to take some punishment, that is why a have more numbers, a transportation price as it were. If you use a Teleport Homer behind the Rhino tactic, then I would equip the squad like I would for a Landraider assault with no Psycannons.

Walking: Here I definatly use a BC with Psycannon, and another Psycannon in the squad. I usually have a BC and 4 or 5 Termies walking behind some PAGK squads for fire support until I know where they are needed.

Hope this helps.

Cheers. DH
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

One.

After playing DH steadily since they were released as an army, I've found that nine times out of ten PA/FAGK are more useful than a comparable points-cost number of GK Terminators. I take a lone BC just to allow the use of GK Dreadnoughts and to get around having to use an Inquisitor Lord.

...Buuut since I know no one likes that kind of advice: I'd say it depends on the hero you're taking. Neither one can "hide" inside their unit during an assault, so its not like buying a bigger bodyguard will keep them safer. So it's points-based. If you've got a BC (the better choice in my experience), go with up to 5-6 GKT. One Thunderhammer/SS, and if you like, one special weapon. Nothing on the BC - he has the same stats as a GKT, but can be picked out in melee, making any upgrades on him kinda useless. If you're using a GM, then drop that squad down by about two, just to make back points. Same squad loadout. On the GM, never give him more than, oh, two pieces of wargear - if he hits 200pts, you're doing something wrong and just asking for a lascannon blast or something equally unlucky. Icon of the Just, a psycannon, and Sacred Incense are the only three upgrades worth giving him, but I wouldn't use all of them at once for points reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantianWarrior
    Thats a good question. I myself when done buying my army will have 2 squads of terminators. Only a five man team for each.
    Ah yes, the ol' "have less models than Deathwing" approach. 10 GKT in a standard sized list (I'm assuming 2000pts or less here) is over the top, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggums Hammer
    Walking: Here I definatly use a BC with Psycannon, and another Psycannon in the squad. I usually have a BC and 4 or 5 Termies walking behind some PAGK squads for fire support until I know where they are needed.
    In 4th edition LoS doesn't actually matter - you can shoot over/around other units with a Ld test. Never, ever, EVER walk your GK Terminator unit towards the enemy. Deepstrike or (as much as I hate them) Land Raider/LRC deliver them to the enemy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I use a Grandmaster in most games unless the Witch Hunters' Pimp Master is present, with a fairly small bodyguard of 3, 4 or 5 terminators depending on the points limit. 5 would be the absolute most I'd take, and even then I'd only go for 5 in 2000+ games; a Grandmaster works well enough with a small bodyguard. As far as them being a luxury item, don't believe it; the GKTs are one of the best Combat units in 40K, they're resilient and they can carry a psycannon and power weapon, which is always good. The Grandmaster rules all. Personally I'd never advocate taking a Bro-Cap in any capacity; as a HQ he just feels cheap and nasty, and if he's in an Elite GKT squad that means you took Elite GKTs, which is not usually a good idea since you get all the expense of a HQ GKT squad without being able to field Dreads. Unless you took an HQ unit of GKTs as well which is pretty expensive and inflexible. In my opinion, anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hero plus 4-5 sounds about the norm... unless there are a few more people out there with opinions.

I usually deep strike my termies so I think the extra body will come in handy... as will the ThH+StSh against certain opponents. And I can convert that useless incinerator terminator that comes with the box set.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by mEGALOMANIAC
    In 4th edition LoS doesn't actually matter - you can shoot over/around other units with a Ld test. Never, ever, EVER walk your GK Terminator unit towards the enemy. Deepstrike or (as much as I hate them) Land Raider/LRC deliver them to the enemy.
    I know that LOS isn't blocked, but it lets you see where you have to go to, and Termies are the best unit to give Psycannons to.

As far as walking goes, I frequently walk my Termies with very good success. Lets say your facing an uber-assault army like Orks, Dark Eldar or Nids. The last thing you want to do is "rush" into battle. You want as many guns shooting from turn one as you can. Shoot and kill as many units as you can until they get to assault range. Grey Knights are good at CC, but not the best and I will deep strike my HQ in a lot games, but walking is a legitimate and usefull tactic vs certain armies.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say no more then 2 units

Aaand to get the most out of them deep strike them. I just got a LRC and can't really think of many oportunitys I've had in past games that it would have had much effect better then just deep striking them. I really feel that I really get my moneys worth out of them in almost all games. Even if the unit got smoked it generaly does a lot of damage and screws up most enemy plans. Sometimes that can be all you need to turn the game. a few cleans misions I have been hurting for the first 2-3 rounds and then poof! my Termi's and GKPA's drop in and get into CC.... the end.

Another nifty thing that I have found that helps out your DSing termi's is a nice GKPA fast attack choice. deep striking a unit of these guys (works nice with a incinerator sometimes) is a great accesory for them.

.... as for my LRC I have yet to play a game with it and plan on charging it up the table to see what it can take. I don't feel like making it more of a target by putting a unit of GKT's in it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast