Strenths & Weakness of "all infantry armies" - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is it more beneficial to not have vehicles?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its better

14 45.16%
  • No, its horrible

17 54.84%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strenths & Weakness of "all infantry armies"

I do in fact own tanks and i love them very much, but for some time now I never use them competitavely.
    I find that many players, no matter what their army, over-prepares to kill vehicles. Coupled with the fact that that the new rules makes vehicles easy to kill, and also makes having troops in a transport a nightmare.
    Now I know that some of you have had different experiances as a whole, but I think many of you know what I am talking about.
    So I have decided to not include ANY vehicles in my army since I think it is MUCH MORE competitave to not field any for they are such a big liability.

The following are points that support my theory.
    -If someone takes meltabombs; they wasted points.
    -If someone takes devastators with lascannons and tank hunters; they wasted points.
    -A lascannon(or equivelant) cannot kill 150+pts in one shot.
    -The setup phase intimidates your opponent.
    -You can get more "bang for your buck" with Infantry.
    -I dont have ordinance which is very unreliable.

The downsides to it.
    -I cant move and shoot heavy weapons.
    -I dont have powerful indirect fire.
    -My army is slow(6" max per turn).
    -I dont get badass tanks.
    -Setting up my army is rough.
    -Some say it is unsportsman-like(even though its fluffy)

To counter the slowness I use the drop troops and infiltrate, but other than these I cant think of any more pro's and con's. Many will say it is not a good guard army without tanks but would have to say that we have many badass infantry squads. If you say its rough to buy soo many men think, if I was worrying about money I'd play SM, so dont give me that. But lemme tell you, it is very satisfying to make your opponent feel like his lascannons are worthless.

But please lemme know what you think, I would really enjoy to read your feedback/thoughts/advice

-Adam

"Crescit in adversis virtus" (Virtue is Born in Hardship)

"Cheese is the cry of the weak"

You are; Empire (truly)
    You are 63% Honorable, 47% Bloodthirsty, 37% Magic-minded, and 85% tactically-oriented!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Just beyond the veil of reality (the darkness comes!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's one way of setting up, here's my opinion of tanks:

Tanks provide a nice rock to your army, and they are relatively reliable and you can generally count on them as heavy weapons mounts. However, unless you take massed armor, you're just burning points. Giving the enemy's devestators too many targets results in more of your tanks living. If you bring 1 russ, all of the AT in the enemy's army is going to aim for that, obviously. If you bring 2 russes, a hellhound, a basilisk, and 2 chimeras, that's a LOT of targets for dedicated anti-tank weapons to deal with. Basically, don't sit on the fence about armor, either take a lot of it or don't bother. If you just take 1 or 2 tanks, they are a liability, if you take a lot, then you've got plenty of firepower.

All infantry armies can definitely work, and the addition of light infantry can make that work even better, although if you're running all infantry I'd venture to say you NEED a heavy weapons platoon or two, also if you can, some conscripts can fit into the army as a screen (although they can't take light infantry, so they can't infiltrate)

I personally generally take a lot of armor (2 basilisks, 1 russ, 1 hellhound OR 3 russes, 1 hellhound) because I love ordinance just that much. But an all infantry list is certainly viable too.
    "And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
    - Rome: Total War

my armies
    9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
    Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
    Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont take HW platoons, i just fill out the HQ HW squads, and then my 10+ inf squads pick up the slack for HW's
    "Crescit in adversis virtus" (Virtue is Born in Hardship)

"Cheese is the cry of the weak"

You are; Empire (truly)
    You are 63% Honorable, 47% Bloodthirsty, 37% Magic-minded, and 85% tactically-oriented!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I am a relatively new guard player but a mechanized guard army looks like and army on the attack. When you drop seven chimeras, a sentinel, 2 russ's and a demolisher or a bassie the enemy knows you mean business.They also know that there is a good chance that entire squads of theirs will evaporate each turn from all the heavy weapons fire from those infantry fighting vehicles (chimeras) vice transports (rhinos) and tanks.

When I drop my 1850 on the board I nearly fill up 6' of deployment space with vehicles that have 9-12 shots each. So each of my one wound vehicles is packing the power of a HQ squad + support squad. Sure they get shot up, shaken, imobilized or destroyed. Who cares if he is shooting them then my 4-5 foot lascannons and 3-4 heavy bolters + 5 PG + meltas are doing their job along with upwards of 40 or so flashlights.

Now if I wanted to play a seige game I would go all infantry (don't have enough bodies yet). But yes you did highlight the advantages and disadvantages of the army really well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use 2 demolishers, 1 russ and 2 hellhounds. This usually is enough to let some of them survive long enough to do a lot of damage (all sponsons and hull weapons are heavy bolters). I field the anti-tank weapon in a support squad and in my regular infantery squads, and i am quite happy with it.

Though I totally agree with taking a lot of tanks or non. a sheer infantery army could be really competitive, giving the anti-tank weapons of the opponent nothing of worth to shoot at, so basicly wasting that points spent on them.
    And with some heavy weapon platoons it would be capable of laying a really devastating hail of fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To throw in my 2 cents, I'm a half-half player fielding 2 bas, 1 russ. and also getting 6 infantry squads with 10 lascannons, and 8 hvy bolters. From what i see you saying is that tanks inevitably die. Mostly it can be true, but say a basilisk, indirect means it hiding, mine alsmot nvr dies, and when i does its to another bass, or some lucky suicidal melta gun squad. the Leman is the meat, it can absorb fire for ages and not die, or it go pop turn 1, either or its a target of note. Which i think guard need, if it weren't there my opponent could go focusing on my troops, which die, pretty quickly. It also "covers" an area, ( no ones gonna go charging up to my lines with the leman in the way, cant take the chance. So thus it focuses the enemy, into a firing path. which helps for immobile platforms

Synergy is the way to go, not one or the other team work guys team work
    For those enemies who willingly move against the Supreme judgement, of the Divine Emperor of man kind, Eternal death shall be granted. Amen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

I think it is worse without any armoured units because you then will loss a great deal of firepower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

armourd units save the gaurd, wel atl least mine do, i dont know why you would play gaurd and not use they vehicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i always take 2 russ and 1 bassie i like tanks but also they uselig earn back there points ( 3 large blast markers) i love to see my enemyes face when i place 3 large blast markers on his troops hehe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Edit: I didn't vote, because either one can be effective. I either like to take lots of tanks with little troops or a lot of troops with maybe one or two Bassies, either way you are neutralizing part of your enemies force (as long as it is balanced).

An all Infantry army can be one the most effective IG list. It might be a little boring to play, but all those heavy weapons will kill a lot of enemy units.

The main downside to an all Guard Infrantry army is it's lack of mobiltiy, but remember there are many way to have mobility and vehicles are one way. Deepstriking and Infiltrating are the other ways other than walking.

IMO, here are a couple of tips to have an effective all Infantry army:

1> Stormtroopers, take full squads of 10. Take three squads if the points allow. Equip each squad with two Melta's or two Plasma guns. You need to be able to capture objective like table quarters, or take out Whirlwinds. Deep Striking Stormy squads can do this best. Make sure they are full so they can last a while.

2> Keep all of your Infantry cheap, Iron Discipline and Close Order Drill are your friends for Doctrins. Light Infantry can be really good in Cleanse game, but not in most others. Drop troops is another good one as well for all Infantry, and remember you don't have to drop all the squads, just select ones.

3> Equip all squads with a heavy weapon and a special weapon. I love Plasma and think it goes well with Lascannons, Missle Launchers and Heavy Bolters. Grenade Lauchers are good with Heavy Bolters and Autocannons. Avoid Meltas and Flamers in Line squads due to thier range.

4> Have a squad of Roughriders for a good counter assault unit. With so many many on the board, your enemy is likely to be able to get in CC somewhere, and you want to be able to counter him.

The look on your enemy's face is priceless when he is expecting to see a bunch of tanks, and his Lascannons, Railguns and Brightlances are generally useless!
    Last edited by Diggums Hammer; May 7th, 2006 at 18:31.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast