Predator Annihilator problems - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Predator Annihilator problems

I have a Predator Annihilator with Lascannon sponsons in my 1500pt list, I got one because everone rates them as the top vehicle choice in 1500pt lists, however I am thinking of dropping it due to the following reasons:-

1) It's a fire magnet and most of the time is smoked by turn 2.

2) I have to keep it still to fire all 3 weapons, leaving it open to all sorts of bad things like Automatic hits from charging Boarboyz (24" max range charge).

3) If I move it, then I can fire the TLLC and nothing else. I may as well have a Razorback and save lots of pts and a heavy slot.

4) Giving it machine spirit makes it a VERY expensive fire magnet and the second LC only hits on a 5+.

Options:-

1) Keep trying to improve my tactics with the Predator Annihilator with Lascannon sponsons, any help will be great.

2) Switch it for a Razorback with TLLC and take a second Devastator squad.

3) Switch the sponsons for Heavy Bolters, save 15pts, can move 6" and fire all 3 weapons. I know that people say LC and HV have different ranges and targets, but one any Enemy Tanks or MC are dead the LC's are all but useless and HB's make it an all round killer (In the same way a LRC has mixed weapons MM, HB, AC).

Guys I really need help on this one, don't be shy!

PS My heavy slots at the moment are PA, WW and Dev Squad with 4x ML.

"Here dead lie we because we did not choose to live and shame the land from which we sprung. Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose; but young men think it is, and we were young."
    A. E. Housman

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I play chaos, but I am totally in love with my pred with the ac cannon turret and hvy bolter sponson. I think the lose of mobility in the full las set up does not out weigh the need to move and fire all your guns every turn. When I do use a Las cannon pred I ussally use just the twin linked turret , but field two tanks. so far I have better result with this set up than the added expense of kitting out all three cannons.
    take the 3rd option.

Thought for the day: A Burning Heretic , Will brighten the Decor of any room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is with your sponsons - because they are not "defensive" weapons, your tank must hold still to be fully effective. I would keep the twin-linked lascannon turret - you only get one more shot at far less hitting power with the autocannon (and th lascannon gets a re-roll so you aren't losing much). But swap out your sponsons with heavy bolters. Although they don't really compliment your primary weapon, they make your tank a lot more versitile and can fire effectively against almost any target while on the move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your comments, I repped you both.

Anyone else with any comments?
    "Here dead lie we because we did not choose to live and shame the land from which we sprung. Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose; but young men think it is, and we were young."
    A. E. Housman

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

Read chaosbrynn's "sponson management tactica" Its very well written

If you are worried about it being pooped so soon, why not switch it to a destructor? My white scars use a destructor w/ heavy bolter sponsons and it performs superb against infantry. 8 shots while loitering 36" away is awsome, and keeps ur tank out of range of nasty short ranged AT weaponry. And clocking in at 115pts (including extra armour) Its very efficient on points and can deal with any infantry threat and even light-medium armour in an emergency. Then being so cheap its no big deal if it gets destroyed quickly.

Hope this helps
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

I play Raven Guard and therefore can't field an Annihilator if I want to play with Traits. I thought that sucked at first, but it's something I've come to appreciate over time for exactly these same reasons. If the tank can't move, it's just that much more vulnerable, right? My Destructor pattern can move about and freely blast away with all its weapons. Frankly I like that just fine, as Devastators can do the Anti-tank even better.

My advice:

---See if you can convert it to have swappable sponsons (use magnets or something). All Lascannons can be very handy against loads of armour at once, but those Heavy Bolters will serve you much better in most fights (a few tanks and lots of troopers). Being able to use either one without needing 2 tanks would be handy.

---If you're using PotMS, fire the sponson with the Marines, save the TLLC for the 5+ shot. At least then the Machine Spirit has a chance of hitting something. You have a better chance of missing the sponson shot too, but hey - if the dice aren't playing nice, you can miss anytime.

---Tactics can play a big part in this case, too. Keeping the Pred out of sight or at least carefully hull down can be tricky, but pays off big time. Also, putting enemy heavy weapons under threat (Bikes, Assault Marines...) will often force them to either move or blast the closer threat, taking heat off the Tank. Giving their guns another target can also help split their fire, although it's gotta be a good (aka: expensive) target (they're not gonna ignore the Pred for a Rhino, ya know?).
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys, Rep given.

Thanks to Chaosbrynn also top man, keep up the good work for the Emperor.
    A. E. Housman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

My opinion on your problem is the same I have with all SM vehicles/dreads.

Taking a single vehicle is very bad.
    Taking several is very good.

Taking a single predator gives your opponent one clearly defined fire magnet for his anti-tank weapons. He can concentrate fire upon the one target, and so it's not too hard for several hits in succession to nullify it and keep it quiet.

Taking two means your opponent has a dilemma, he can split fire or concentrate upon one particular vehicle. In the first scenario your opponent's effective fire has halved, taking only 1/2 hits at at time a Predator is pretty good at withstanding. Fire dilution means BOTH are more likely to survive. In the second scenario your opponent is going to be peppering your first predator as usual. However, it also probably means your second predator is spending most of the battle un-molested. Congratulations, you can fire that Predator as much as you want till the first one dies.

It's basically a cardinal rule with SM vehicles, take several or don't bother. We don't have front AV14 like the guard to protect them, we are much more vulnerable to things like taking 3/4 Krak missiles in a turn. However when you divide those 3/4 Krak missiles by two, you typically seem to lose neither vehicle.
    Last edited by Addoran; May 9th, 2006 at 19:02.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Addorans point is very good. Our vehicles are freakin awful. The only way to have them work for you is to field quite a few to dilute fire.

As to the predator though, just as I said in the tactica, it becomes a far more useful vehicle with HB sponsons. ESPECIALLY if its in danger of being assaulted. (4+ is better then automatioc after all).

As to PotMS though, you use the machine spirit to fire the TL lascannon. That way you have one firing with iots normal BS and the TL effect for the crummy BS of the machine spirit. I still dont agree with las preds, but thats the proper way to employ the machine spirit with it.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

That is the main problem with any tank not just the predator. It will always be a fire magnet. What you could do is use smoke launchers to prevent some major damage when your not using the predator. Machine spirit allows it to move, perhaps into cover. The best bet is to take other magnets to protect the predator. Terminators, vindicators, very close assault squads, Dreadies, etc. etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast