Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
What does everyone think is the shootiest chapter? Im thinking on whether i wanna do a shooty army or a close combat army (BT).
i can tell you that blood angels are not since i have heard about the blood rage or something that forces them to move forward etc., but i dont know which is the shootiest
<img src='http://www.directdesign.ru/portfolio/poster/img/10.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Dark Angels are shooty, Imperial Fists aren't bad at shooting either (they're the loyalist counterpart of the Iron Warriors).
Iron Hands seem to be rather shooty too.
Just about any of the Chapters that's not assault oriented is just as shooty as any other, since they all field the same weapon options, and have the same BS. DA have the rule 'Stubborn' which sometimes forces them to shoot only. However, other than the plasma cannon in tac squads, they are just the same as Ultras. So, any chapter you want except for maybe SW, BA, BT. Salamanders and Sisters can be shooty, just a different kind of shooty. Plenty of Chaos options for shooty armies as well.
Maybe I should play Salamanders... then if i dont like them i can play my alternate which is BT cause i will the codex anyway.
Eaah...the Sallies aren't the conventional kind of shooty, with las/plas cannons and such. They're all about close-ranged firefights, with multi-meltas and flamers and such. Termies are your CC specialists. Stay about a foot away from the enemy at all times and you're good.
Marines can do quite anything well, so most can be shooty, but here are ==Me=='s shootiest top 10:
10) White Scars. The White Scars, being a bike/seed based chapter, suffer in the long-range department, namely the lack of dreads, compulsory mounts for all squads, and the fatc that most heavy weapons cannot move-and-fire, but with plenty of short-ranged weapons, they do pretty well, making them 9.
9) Blood Angels. They can have all the weapons of vanilla marines, with serious counter-assault to back them up (DC, HG, black rage). Though, their unpredictable nature and HtH-disposition puts them at 10.
Raven Guard. I'm not completely acquainted with RG rules, but I know they are jump pack/deep strike based, which automatically reduces their shooty potential. With uber-expensive Command Squads, and the speed-orientation, they probably don;t have much room for big guns. But DS-ing Land Speeders, Dreads, and shot-range weapons put them at a solid 8.
7) Black Templars. Can you say plasma cannons and scouts in Tactical Squads? Their vows and HtH weapons can give them added punch in counter-assault, but lack of Devastators, Librarians, fall back forward, and no shooty scouts puts them at 7.
6) Space Wolves. Counter Attack, Long Fangs, Venerable Dreads, Wolf Scouts, uber-shooty WG (master-crafted heavy weapons ), Storm Caller, LR Exterminator, and Long Fansg make them quite formiddable when shooting. But, their lack of Troops heavy weapons, compulsory expensive and HtH-skewed characters, and Blood Claws make them 6.
5) Cursed Founding Chapters. I put them in toether as they are pretty much a force of their own. The LotD, Flame Falcons, and Sons of Antaeus can do very well shooting, and so can the Minotours to an extent. They can have hall heavy weapons, and some extra abilities. But, with Cursed Knights, Abominations, and lack of resources, they settle in at number 5.
4) Vanilla Marines. The basic Codex chapter, and Imperial Fists, who are Codex apart from a few special rules. They can get all sorts of shooty nastiness, from Devastator Squads to Dreadnoughts, plenty of counter-assault in the form of Scouts, Terminators, and Assault Squads, and are generally a well-balanced force. While not as shooty-specialized as other chapters, they've earned to right to be number 4.
3) Iron Hands. Iron Hands are basically vanilla, but have no terminators, Techmarine-like characters, and Venerable Dreads. They can get all the weapons of vanilla marines, but can also have Ven. Dreads, Iron Fathers, and Terminator Veteran Sergeants. With this, they come in at 3.
2) Dark Angels (including RW and DW). DA come in at a close second, mainly due to intractable and plasma cannons in Tac Squads. With their rules, small squads become more prevalant, as even if you lose 25% casualties, you'll never fall back from shooting, and cheap plasma cannons are a godsend in this era of power armor. Deathwing and Ravenwing can also be very shooty, epsecially with the TAR/TVR. And, the DA have awesome counter-assault in the form of the HQ+Command Squad. You can take a Grand Master w/ a SoS, bolt pistol, iron halo, and Lion Helm, along with a Command Squad with the Standard of Devastation (plenty of assault weapons/plasma pistols), and give your a huge amount of your forces 4+ inv saves, and get a free round of shooting when the enemy charges and with the SoS and plenty of PP/PW combos, you can fend off any attack. Or, mount thme in a Rhino w/ the Standard of Fortitud and plenty of bolter-plasmas for rapid-firing fun. alternatively, a Chaplain can garner victory points, and the Librarian can force his opponents to flee. With all this great stuff, DA are still #2 for shooting, but #1 for balanced IMHO.
1) Salamanders. The Salamanders are probably the most shooty-oriented SM Chapter out there, making them #1. They do get to ingore 'All on your own' checks, extend the game by a turn, ceramite armor, and have signums and artificer armor much more available and cheaper, and have readily available counter-assault in the form of cheap termies and TH-wielding chaplains.
And there you have it
Salamanders are number one, but only if you are within 24 inches, even more so where they get dumb and get real close. Can you say flamers. Plus they can take a multi-melta in tactical squads.
Nto to mention a Devastator Squad w/ 4 plasma cannons and Vet w/ signum :ph34r:
well i dont think ANY space marine shaptor is specialised in shooting, for example for chaos(iron warriors), they are MADE to be the shootiest with vindicators and basilisks avaliable which to space mairines there are some kind such as special weapons avaliable for dark angels(plasma cannon) but not as much to actually make difference in warfare.
so imo, i would say that all space marines are equal in shootyness