IG CC army??? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: can a IG army be CC

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • IG can be a CC army

16 38.10%
  • IG can not be a CC army at all

26 61.90%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IG CC army???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IG CC army???

i was thinking about making a IG CC army just on paper for now but what do you guys think on that what would be needed and what does not, and is it at all possible.

give me your advices and i will try to make a list, out of your advices

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

think about it; litterally hundreds of models swaping even tyranids (sometimes) with ogryns and command squads and hardened veterens flanking them. not to metionthe conscript platoons!

it'll work...
    W/D/L
    -Imperial:50/2/10
    -Non-Imperial:10/1/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's impossible, with a good amount of effort you can MAYBE make a Guard army that could have a chance of holding out in combat for a LITTLE while. The likes of Tyranids, Chaos and Orks (and pretty much any army with even decent close combat units) will obliterate you without thinking twice (sluggas and hormagaunts would have a field day.) and don't even think of trying to charge across no man's land against shooty guard, or shooty ANYTHING.

Guard don't have the toughness, strength, initiative, speed, armor save, attacks, morale or ANY of the things that make a close combat army dangerous. What Guard do have is heavy armored fighting vehicles and powerful heavy weapons in ample supply. Close combat is just contrary to the natural strengths of the army, and you'll end up regretting collecting such a force.

This would be like a Tyranid player trying to make a shooty army of doom, or Tau trying to do a massed charge into the enemy ranks. It won't work, and you'll just end up frustrating yourself.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; May 9th, 2006 at 06:32.
    That's no ordinary rabbit! That's the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!

Look that rabbit's got a vicious street a mile wide, he's a killer!

Just beyond the veil of reality (the darkness comes!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, charging is the one thing a guardsmen should never really do.

The guard are numerous, yes, but hormogaunts are also numerous, and I'd say that 9 times out of 10 an equal points value of hormoguants vs guardsmen, the guardsmen will be torn a new one.

I mean, let's think about it, the warrior weapons doctrine COSTS!!!! You are now at 8 points per guardsmen for 2 close combat attacks... 3 on the charge, at a poor strength and toughness, without a good armor save, small squad sizes, poor leadership, relatively restricted access to power weapons/fists, low ws, I could prattle on.

Yes, the guard have a lot of bodies, especially in conscript squads, but that's just basically feeding your opponent victory points. Especially against close combat oriented armies (anything with the words "of Khorne" attached to it would rape and pillage your army, and you may be able to kill 1-2 of the models). The drop troops doctrine does open up strange possibilities though... But the only army the guard should ever even consider wanting to get into close combat with is the tau and maybe other guard, although you'll get mowed down with vicious fury on the way over.

A close combat oriented guard army would be cool to see visually, but you'd be just about the easiest to beat army ever... except maybe a shooty khorne army :yes:
    "And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
    - Rome: Total War

my armies
    9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
    Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
    Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Ubernyaw
    A close combat oriented guard army would be cool to see visually, but you'd be just about the easiest to beat army ever... except maybe a shooty khorne army :yes:
    Accually, I'd put my money on the shooty Khorne army. A Khorne Berzerker maul guardsmen whenether he frenzies and charges or fires his boltgun.

Guard CC armies do not work, we need to spend to many points on gearing our troops and they're still worse in CC than most other armies basic troops, we don't have that many powerweapons or powerfists, we lack the leadership, the thoughness, the attacks, the initative and the armour to compete with armies up close. Any real close combat army would just walk right through your men, while any shooty army would destroy you as you try and get close.

We're guardsmen, we do not have an armour save, all we've got is our coversaves and we should stick to them.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Try as you might. I dont think that the guard can pull off a CC army.
    Good luck though.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Whilst Guard armies can have an element of counter punch (usually through rough riders) and resiliance (ogryn) re close combat, neither option offers the chance of a full on assault guard army.

The onyl way of doing this is to go mobbed up. Cityfight helps due to the additional attack rules, but you are talking a full bayonet charge by ammassed guardsmen. unfortunatley what tends to happen is your opponent kills loads of you, you kill few if any of him because you lost most of your engarged models on his initiative, you lose the combat, fail the moral check and route and promptly get run down.

Logic suggests that the best way of dealling with this is to thin out his numbers before you ge to him, btu then you are creating a shooting side to your army, so simply put IG dont work that well as a close combat army
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they could with enough models. Just use terrain and use basic models and command hqs with power fists as well as sargeants with power swords or fists and hide behind your models. Creed and Kell would be useful for stopping them fail leadership.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I say it can be done, but not to win.

Warrior weapons + Carapace + Hardened Fighters+Die Hards=10pts per man Roughly. 9pts buys you an Ork with a Choppa who has + 1 Toughness and one more attack.

If you like the idea of hoard CC armies, and want to win play Orks or 'Nids.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or........

WORLD EATERS!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast