Help With A Vanilla Marine Force - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just starting Warhammer 40,000, and am fielding an Ultramarine force. So far I have two ten man tactical squads with the standard missle launchers and flamethrowers, two veteran sergeants w/ power weapons and plasma pistols, a standard command squad, two rhinos with extra armor, and a dreadnought. How should I improve/expand this force? All comments are appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alright, here is what you do...

your collecting vanilla ultramarines? COLLECT THE SECOND COMPANY! or the third or the forth, i don't really care actually. The point is there is a company roster in the back of the codex that will give you an idea what to get.

Get a predator maybe, and beef up your command squad and put them in a rhino, have a rhino for most of your squads f you can afford it cause their cool and ccheap points and come in handy.

when you collect a company make sure you get the shoulderpad colors right, the company numbers right, make sure the squads are numbered appropriatly. Its really cool to collect along the lines of a battle company rather then a composite force from many companies. trust me, there is nothing cooler then having 3 identical predators whose only variations are the troops on pinte stormbolters and the numbers on the front of the tank and the word written on the tanks ID plate. People will tell you other wise but CONFORMITY in a space marine army is an AWSOME visual and psychological boostyer. when people ask what army you play simply say 'the ultramarines 2nd battle company' or something like that instaed of saying 'ultramairines.' trust me, people who are worth playing against tend to notice. the other day i played a game, they asked what i brought, i showed them my scouts they said "cool, tenth company" and that was it. that is the kind of silent respect one wants when playing this game. It took me years to figure that out, so at least seriously consider it, it really is worth while if you do it right, so put time into thinking carefuly about it and ask plenty of questions about numbering company conventions in the fluff area.

but thats just me anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all your help. I'll be sure to follow those guidelines while i'm painting and collecting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Dunedain999@Apr 29 2003, 12:58
    Thanks for all your help. I'll be sure to follow those guidelines while i'm painting and collecting.
    The cool thing about the first couple of battle companies, especially for ultramarines, is that its almost entirely astetic appeal. For example the 2nd Ultramarine company has dreadnoughts, tactical squads, assult squads, and devistator squads, as well as bikes. Thats almost every type of unit you could want. If you look at the roster you have access, fluff wise, to every type of unit baring scouts, terminators and veterans. Battle tanks are loaned to a company from the armoury so don't worry about if they are listed.

If you decide you want veterans, terminators, or scouts thats cool too, just make sure you label them for the correct companies (either 1st or tenth) and since you won't be taking that many its not such a big deal.

1 extra suggestion, you don't have to number the squads in the order you buy them. lets say, for this discusion, you buy a devistator squad next. Don't label it squad number three, instead check out the roster and label it squad #9 or 10, because squads 1-6 are tactical squads, squads 7 and 8 are assult squads, etc. bikes come ibn squadrons so you can number them however you like.

Also, you don't have to follow the roster in the codex exactly, although i would unless you really want 3 devistator squads and 3 assult squads.

Good luck and welcome to the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again, RTS. So, not all companies have veteran squads, scouts, dreads, and terminators, right??? So I just need to make sure my company of choice has all the units I need before painting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Dunedain999@Apr 29 2003, 13:30
    Thanks again, RTS. So, not all companies have veteran squads, scouts, dreads, and terminators, right??? So I just need to make sure my company of choice has all the units I need before painting?
    well, there aren't ANY companies that have ALL of them, rather decide what troops you like the most and then collect a company that has them, and tack on the extras if/when you want to but make sure you paint them and use decals indicating their correct company. Like i said, one of the first battle companies will offer the most variety so when you do take troops from another company you won't pollute your existing army too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by rtsposer@Apr 29 2003, 13:22
    bikes come ibn squadrons so you can number them however you like.
    If memory serves bikes and speeders are normally crewed in the battle companies by members of assault squads, so if you want to get really picky bikers and speeder crews should have assault squad markings and be from the 7th or 8th squads...

I agree with RTSPoser. I would pick a company (preferably a battle company, so the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th) and form your army around it. Make your commander not just a "force commander" or something like that, but specifically the captain of whatever company you've picked. Then have the bulk of the army formed around that company. Do you have to do it that way? No, but it just looks good and adds a sense of organization. As RTSPoser said, the tanks would have the markings of the company since they would be assigned to it, and really the only troops who wouldn't would be veterans, terminators, and scouts. For instance, you could give all of your troops except for vets, termies and scouts the appropriate color shoulder trim, and that will distinguish them as all being from whatever company you've picked. You can then give the tac squads the tac squad shoulder insignia, the assault squads, bikers, and speeder crews the assault squad insignia, devastator squads with devastator insignias, etc. and you would be surprised how much that can add to the look of an army. If you then add squad numbers and army badges, well, in my opinion it just looks really good.

Don't let all of this talk about rigid painting insignia conventions and stuff intimidate you or anything. If you don't want to do it, don't, it's okay. The whole thing is just that if you have an idea as you're painting and building up your army of what it is fluff wise (as RTSPoser said, not just a "bunch of Ultramarines" or something like that, but, for example, "The Ultramarines' _ Battle Company under the command of Captain _____," then you can make it look and feel very consistent and very organized, which is quite appropriate for Space Marines, especially Ultramarines.

As for what other troops to get, it all depends on how you want your army to work. Do you want to go with a mix of shooting and assault, all out assault and close in firefights, long range shooting? Two 10 man tac sqauds in rhinos and a command squad is a good place to start, but before I can really recomend how you could flesh it out I need to know how you plan to use it (if you don't have a set plan yet, that's cool, just throw out any ideas you have about tactics you might prefer and we'll work from there).
    "Don't Delay-The best is the enemy of the good. By this I mean that a good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week. War is a very simple thing, and the determining characteristics are self-confidence, speed, and audacity. None of these things can ever be perfect, but they can be good."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd suggest getting some Fast Attack and/or Heavy Support choices. Devastators or Assault Marines is a good choice
    Master Belial

'But for corruption thou hast made Belial, an angel of hostility. All his dominions are in darkness, and his purpose is to bring about wickedness and guilt. All the spirits that are associated with him are but angels of destruction.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

I miss Codex Ultramarines, so much information on the organisation of the chapter, and all the info on the Ultramarines too, none of this Codex "Space Marines" balls from the 3rd edition, how can the new generation of gamers read about the exploits of Roboute Guilliman, reams of chapter organisation, the background of the systems of Ultramar and so on? The new books just don't have the fluff they used to, such a shame.

I think I'll go read that holy tome right now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rtsposer told me to think of a theme for the army, i think that is very helpful wen forming the organization of the army u feel like playing

Closed Thread