Other people's opinions on assaulting with scouts... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other people's opinions on assaulting with scouts...

Where i play alot of people play armies that excel at close combat, and constantly make my space marines look like tau. I have a mostly shooty army, with a couple of 5 man assault squad (1 w/ P/F, both have flamers and a plas pistol)with a chappie to help the P/F squad. I used to have them at 8 and 6, but they were constantly being slaughtered and since they are elites they cost alot.

I was thinking of infiltrating a scout squad and trying to entice my opponent to come and get me. The scout squad would be, 10 men, 1 with a heavy bolter, 4 with bolters, 4 with 2 weapons, and a P/F sarg. I know you can't assault and rapid fire or shoot the heavy weapon, but they were there incase i needed the extra shots. (also didnt want to buy too many more models to try this)

The idea is either to sit deep in his deployment zone and fire on his army from behind. He would have to be forced to come back and get the scouts or just take the shots in the back or come and get the scouts.

has anyone tried this? is it a viable tactic? or should i just sit in my zone and fire, then bring up my assault marines to die horribly cost expensive deaths?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i find with shooty armies you need a good counter attack force, but dont tyr to out assault some one, or tie them up for that matter, because then you cant shoot them. A nice strong assault squad with a chappy attached and a dreadnaught make lovely counterattack untis. Use your fire to isolate squads, and then pounce on the remains.
    Space Marines are the gateway drug

If everyone makes fun of West Virginia, who does West Virginia make fun of?

Senior Member Librarian Augustine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

I think scout bikes and bikes for tying things up, but scouts also work well with that. I am currently working on a new list in which I have tactics that will work together.

Scouts tying people up isn't a bad idea, just make sure they are far enough ahead so that you can shoot the enemy and not just give them protection because they are tied up in combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The actual idea of the scouts was to take on the creatures/groups that you don't plan on shooting. Such as tying up a carnifex or hive tyrant, when he has 2 others to deal with. Mostly they are a delaying tactic. As of late i have just been playing people who use assault armies, and i am finding i keep getting stuck in CC cause i don't know everything my opponents can do. Watching wyches move 23 inches to assault my Close combat squad sucked. Although i am unsure if he was playing them right. (said my weapon skill was halved when attacking them, when from what i have read its only minus 1) As i said i am still learning, and Librarium Online has a been a great help to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Heck, yes! :yes: :yes:

Always remember: The difference between Scouts and other Marines in combat? 1 point of Armour. That's it, folks! Scouts are just as effective in combat as any other Marine squad. Plus they all come double armed as standard.

My scouts have personally eaten a Blood Angels Assault Squad for lunch all on their own before, and they absolutely love getting the drop on Tau. Give them a Veteran with PF or PW and they'll perform as well as any Assault Squad, albeit a little bit slower. I'd avoid taking Bolters though - if they're gonna assault, make them ready for it.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

I bring PANDEMONIUM! Zephyr_the_AzureWind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Quade Collins
    The actual idea of the scouts was to take on the creatures/groups that you don't plan on shooting. Such as tying up a carnifex or hive tyrant, when he has 2 others to deal with. Mostly they are a delaying tactic. As of late i have just been playing people who use assault armies, and i am finding i keep getting stuck in CC cause i don't know everything my opponents can do. Watching wyches move 23 inches to assault my Close combat squad sucked. Although i am unsure if he was playing them right. (said my weapon skill was halved when attacking them, when from what i have read its only minus 1) As i said i am still learning, and Librarium Online has a been a great help to me.
    yah....with the newer editions of 40k, the Dark Eldar (same with Eldar) are almost obselete balance-wise because of new systems and such. If they ever remake the codex, you can be sure they will be a lot different.

as far as scouts going as a counterassault unit....if your opponent can make your SM look like Tau then scouts aren't going to fare better so I would rather invest the points in a vindicator or 2 whirlwinds to help in shooting. Dreadnoughts are better anyways since many normal attacks can;t hurt it.

what are you fighting against anyways other than DE?
    Raven Claws Space Marine Chapter........2500 points
    Waagh Rotskrag (in building process)

Member of the Fluffmaster Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typical armies around here are nids, the eldar and dark eldar are few and far between. I just thought that the wyches were highly overpowered. This is what he told me, my marines lose any bonuses from two weapons and attack at half their weapon skill. I understand the dodge of 4+ invulnerable, tough but reasonable. The other two just seemed really extreme.

i have not gotten a chance to play in tournies yet, but from the ones i have seen its space marines and nids as the two major armies of choice.

I had originally wanted a decent mix of assault and shooting, but keep finding that in close combat i don't fare so well. Since my opponents who are willing to assault me are far superior in close combat. I admit i need more actual play experience, but having opinions from people who have done it all before helps alot.

The original idea with the scouts were as delaying tactic. Infiltrate them deep, and cause some assault menace to go after them then running across the board at me giving me enough time to blow up the other huge menaces coming my way. Or if they don't have a nice assault menace chew into their lines with an assault. I was going with the bolters since the scouts were not just solely going to assault, or may not even make it close enough due to bad rolls or an 18" infiltrate, hence the heavy bolter in the mix. I figure you get shot up by a few rapid firing bolters and some bolt pistols, you are going to go back and finish them off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SM Scouts perform just as well as regular marines against orks and their cheesy choppas for less points. The choppas mean that they all have the same save.
    Just out of curiousity, whats next? Maybe you can make an issue about the fact that GW didn't define the action of 'rolling' a D6 to actually mean dropping it in such a manner as to produce a random result; thus making it perfectly acceptable to just put them down with the face up of your choice?

+ Reply to Thread