I Lord + GM asault squad - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Lord + GM asault squad

Here is the idea :

I tested a decent assault squad:

- I lord + (d)hammer + 1 familier (I5)
    - 3 acolytes + storm shields
    - 3 combat warriors with fists

I found that more efficient against big beast ( WraithLord, major daemaons, etc) then same in termies. ( more resistants), as every termies gone is 2 attacks gone.
    (deliverred thru LR)
    the idea is to deal with high E in tourney.
    still when succedded, keep on messing with "normal guys". then I am suffering of Low I.

generally this squad is efficient for one assault on single big beast , but hardly 2, and not against lots of energy weapons ( banshees/ vovoide retinue)

I thought adding 1 claw to the I , so he has I5

THEN I realise I have my BC hanging around, doiing nothing ( as I have to take a hero to have my raider anyway). Why not joining the club ?

Then I thought upgrading to a GM,n adding it to the I lord team (as an independant character,) then I would have high I with gm,

gm : S6 : 4 A /I5
    I lord : S6 ( dhammer) : 3 A / I1 ( I5 when against daemons)
    3 warriors: 6 S /I1 x 6
    ( 3 acolytes with storm shields)

what do you think ?

Last edited by petitaime; May 16th, 2006 at 13:48.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well i we compare the =I= part with a normal termisquad:

Inq = 191pts (I took the liberty of adding an attack with a boltpistol).
    ---------------
    10 x S6 at I1
    + 2 extra T3 wound on the I
    + The moralrule

Termissquad with BC (1+3) = 199pts
    -------------------------------------------
    9 x S6 at I4
    + All at WS5
    + Somehting called termiarmour
    + 4 Stormbolters
    + Fearless
    + Everything else that comes with greyknight/SM (T4 etc.)
    + The ability of not dying to a couple of hvybolters...

Hmm what to take...tricky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fonus
    Well i we compare the =I= part with a normal termisquad:

Inq = 191pts (I took the liberty of adding an attack with a boltpistol).
    ---------------

Termissquad with BC (1+3) = 199pts
    -------------------------------------------

Hmm what to take...tricky
    Here , I am desiging a squad, conveyed in LR, to deal with high TO , defenders.
    My regular opponent fields 2 Wraith Lords. One is ok, but the team need to get with the second. (other wise, I am denied the objective)

Well, there is two aspects :
    -How do I confront TO 7/8 ?
    - How do I confront high initiatives ? ( high/ normal TO)

Against a WraithLord, ( TO 8 ) , I need a 6 to wound with a S6. When I am lucky, I get one when I charge (A5= A3 +1+1). with the hammer, it gets me another turn safe to finish the job. the acolytes takes the hits ( 4+I x 3 = 6 wo to reach the =I=)

comparingly, In HtH, my Gm is singled out, and WILL takes the hits, so the retinue is not that useful, besides helping finishing the job ( the I5 helps, and the force weapon too, still)

So, to some extend, it is about ok, but the termie looks better against TO 3/4 opponents ( say the next job, once the big beast is down), but the =I= are more resilient, as most times, the acolytes takes the shots, but the attacks are still available for the second.

whether the termies, assuming 3 hits not saved on the termies ( comparable to the acolytes), left me with only the gm and 4 attacks, or a dead GM, and 3 termies.

The point is... I HAVE to take a hero anyway to get the heavy supports...
    so if I take the BC ( or a GM, for 84 pts more) , and joiningd him in the =I= assault squad :

- I can deal with normal I squads( GM I5-),
    - I can deal with high TO (GM+=I=)
    - I can possibly attack 2 targets ( like blocking reapers/ with Hth), by forking my squads after the first assaults ( or shaking tanks)
    - most probably, my gm will be targeted first, leaving my =I= squad intact for further assaults...
    - I have 5 + 4 + 3.2 = 15 S6 attacks ( 5 more when charging), so I most probably deal with the beast in one turn, and jump to the next after that..

Against Chaos/Daeomons, the dhmmer is then I5, ie strikes at parity , ie 9/11 attacks S6I5

in summary : resilience / versatility .. and two"squads" delivered in one LR....

anybody tried that ?
    Last edited by petitaime; May 16th, 2006 at 15:47.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, there is two aspects :
    -How do I confront TO 7/8 ?
    - How do I confront high initiatives ? ( high/ normal TO)
    Your answer to that is an expensive unit of fragile S6 I1 guys topped with an extremely expensive guy that also only wound a wraithlord on 6 and then risk being instantkill :ninja: .....

Lets calculate:
    Inq-squad + GM + LR = 191+146+250 = 586

2 Wraithlords = 2x120 = 240

You plan to use 586 pts to take out 240 pts !!!!!!

Please atleast try out a BC as the hero with a termisquad. the realiable Wraithlord kills comes from the 2-3 termis that replaces their NGFW with THunderhammer and Stormshields.

On the charge 6-9xS8 stunning hits that wounds on 4+ instead of 6+, and there is not a big loss if the BC dies (61 pts).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

Alright this is my first post in a while so I hope this helps:

~ No matter how you tool you're Inquisitor Lord, he won't be able to match a Wraithlord, he'll go last and *most likely* be insta-killed before he gets his attacks. If you're taking a LR or LRC as you say, than let that tank take care of the Wraithlord, or let your BC or GM + termies try it.

~ If you want you Inquisitor Lord to be good against everything but that, give him duel lightning claws so he will go a I-5 (stats including henchmen), WS-5, and 4 attacks base, though his strength will lack he will be able to re-roll all missed wounds, giving him a better chance at taking down whatever you're going for, and, they will be power weapon attacks. For his retinue give him 3 acolytes with storm shields, one familiar, and three powerfist warriors. Though this is quite expensive pts. wise, the best case scenario give you: no one dieing, and you getting in 5 L-claw attacks and 9 p-fist attacks, and 1 reg. wep attack....On normal cases, your three acolytes and familiar will die but you Inquisitor and warriors will live. From experience, this is a very offensive squad that is "partially" tough to kill and packs a mean punch.

~ Hope that helped!
    5th E Sand(Grey) Knights: 11-3 (retired) 5th E Eldar: 37-4 (retired) 5th E Wolves 5-0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One problem: T 6, anything with str 6 or higher will kill you, the acolytes MIGHT be useful, but ultimately they will die, the termies, dont get an initiative loss and have psycannons and storm bolters, while your =][= will not shoot, the termies have termie armour and they are chea enough, give em thunderhammers and storm shields, oh and by the way, you can take a normal LR with the inquisitor, but it does not benefit from some of the upgrades, while Grey knights can have and LRC, the ultimate transport vehicle, honestly, a BC with 2- temries will survive and still dish out dmg, without being inst kille dby anything close to a grenade launcher! If you want an inquisitor give him a pay cannon and get 2 sages and some servitors (PC, 2x H You can kill the wraith lord without having to engage it, or you can get duo lightning claws ( this is pretty good) those are pretty good with some acolytes with power weps or something.
    The gold grey knight man. These are hardy men who like cheese.

Ever thought of how cheese was found?:
    Brother captain
    `` I say sah, the milk in this barrel smells foul!``

Grand master:
    ``Oooohhh, give it a go!``

''Quack, damn you!''
    -Jamie heinamen, Mythbusters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right. If I summarize the points :
    I have to say I lost sight on the insta-kill.
    So:
    1. BC + termies :
      - BC is cheap ( and I have to take it anyway for the LR/HEavay support)
      - Termies with HM wound on 4+ with a hammer (good point), and gets a 4+i ( and not pays it)
      - against "normal guys" (2nd job), they will have a decent initiative

2. would you advice a 3+ retinue, or more ? ( no psy to get the 6, i suppose, or is that one hand, ie i can still have the nemesis ?)

3. now, on the LR vs LRC debate :
      - I use the LR as effective Laser ( AT), if he can deliver, not so much as assault support.
      could you possibly develop the argument a bit more ?
      while Grey knights can have and LRC, the ultimate transport vehicle
    Last edited by petitaime; May 17th, 2006 at 10:43.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are no right or wrong here but aganst an Eldar army with 2 wraithlords I suggest:

Termisquad (1+4):
    1 BC as hero
    2 Termis with NFW
    2 Termis with Thunderhammer and Stormshield
    (always try to have even numbers in squad)

= 245pts (184 is scoring until you only have 1 guy left).

7 (10 on charge) x Str6 WS5 I4.
    4 (6 on charge) x Str8 WS5 I1 (Stunning).

Ie in a charge against Wraithlords you should make 1 wound at I4 and then the thunderhammers should add another 2 wounds. the wraithlord have 50% (they have 2 attacks right?) chance of killing your Brothercaptain... then ofcource anything could happen..

LR/LRC.. the chooise depends on your style - if you rush use the LRC if you need AT and/or countercharge LR can be a real asset - Who are the one who usually assult?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by petitaime
    would you advice a 3+ retinue, or more ? ( no psy to get the 6, i suppose, or is that one hand, ie i can still have the nemesis ?)
    I think 4-5 models in a retinue (5-6 models total in the HQ) is just about the most cost-effective use of points spent on termies. More than that, and you're running into territory where you'd have been better off buying other things. Less than that, and you're termie squad becomes very susceptible to dying off from just a few unlucky dice rolls. 5-6 terminators seems to be the right amount to both survive a pounding and be able to dish it back out, too.

As for pyscannons: YES! Get them whenever you can afford them. The termie gives up the storm bolter ONLY; they keep their NFW and their attack profile. (Terminators don't have True Grit like their power-armoured brethren.) Plus, the terminator can move and fire at full range.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fine. go for 5 , 2 hmmer, 2 nfw, 1 bc

besides,
    • tempted into the LRC, now... but what about AT now ?
      the good thing is that the LR do not have two mission now..
      I usually side my LR with a rhino and 5 stormies+2 fuseurs, using heavily the turret fire ... but what about that tank at the otrher sides ? (close range, the multi melta of the LRC should do), but long range .
    • should I side the LRC with a Dread TLLC + missile ? TLLC + assault ?
    • could the dread be used to partially mask the LR ? (who may be ahead, but anyway)

Last edited by petitaime; May 17th, 2006 at 17:34.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast