Witch (pun intended) is better? Mechanized sisters or footsloggers? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Witch (pun intended) is better? Mechanized sisters or footsloggers?

I play sisters and a debate came up with another sister player of mine of which is more effective.

I tend to believe that having 20 sisters in a squad trodding up the field and taking the center is the way to go. Their power armor will shield against most incoming fire, and it'll be rare you will be taking tests and even if you do you will probably fast. In a real pinch, there are acts of faith.

However, my friend feels that it's much more effective just to load up 10 sisters (Troop choice) in a Rhino, and do a drive-by shooting.

So....

Footslogger Pros:
    - More sisters in a squad means more likely to be:
    -- a scoring unit at games end
    -- more bolter shots with Divine Guidance = ouch
    - Doesn't get hosed in Escalation

Footslogger Cons:
    - Ordnance can really suck
    - Still moving slowly
    - Sisters are not the greatest in assault

Mechanized Pros:
    - Can get out, rapid fire and flame/melta
    - Mobility
    - Rhino can be used as a cheap wall

Mechanized Cons:
    - You pay for a Rhino (and of course extra armor and smoke)
    - You can only have a max of 10 per squad
    - If Rhino gets destroyed on the way there your sisters are entangled

Thoughts? Which is better. Or a mixture of both?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're both viable options, it's all a matter of personal preference. Now I like the idea of transports zooming up the field and having sisters jump out and rapid-fire. But it's probably best to go all-mech (so as to provide a target-rich environment for your opponent's AT weapons) or all-foot.
    Exorcist Kills:
    Predator Annihilator
    Skyray
    Leman Russ
    Pirahna
    Chimera
    Wartrukk
    Nob
    5 Tactical Squad Marines
    2 Raiders

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

i used to play footlogger/hybrid, but now ive switched to pure mechanized, and let me say... it rules!

First turn move 12" pop smoke, second turn move 12" disembark, and double tap and flame em w/ divine guidance. this is commonly refferred to as "rush and dump"

so i prefer mech
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I run a mostly mobile army, with 2-3 squads on the ground.
    I suppose this is hybrid, favoring mobile.
    Sisters Repentia: Wow what beautiful models! Wow what terrible rules! -stjohn70

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Mechanised is better IMO. While you can give the arguement that you have to pay for the rhinos, if you think about it logically a rhino costs less than half that of a sister squad. For the extra movemnt it's quite worth while, also you can put the "divine guidance" and flamer routine to better use.

You also have a high chance of striking first and your army does not become prey to jump pack infantry. Also rapid fire range is easily reached like flamer range so you technically should do more damage than standing and shooting (mainly because of the flamers)

My own army is mechanised:

Cannoness (and no, she hasn't got a jump pack, she sits in the chimera)
    Sister of battle squads + rhino
    Sister of battle squads + rhino
    Storm troopers + Chimera
    Exorcist
    Exorcist

Not a bad selection for only 1000pts, so numbers isn't a huge issue either.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Heiromyo
    For the extra movemnt it's quite worth while, also you can put the "divine guidance" and flamer routine to better use.
    This reason is why I like the Mech lists better. You have the ability to bring your special weapons and Faith powers to bear effectivly on the enemy. Footsloggers are a bit more resiliant because of numbers, but you can do more damage to the enemy with a Mech force.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I don'y believe there is a definite yes or no answer it just depends on how you like to play and what you're fighting. Mech armies aswell as footsloggers have their pros and cons. Most people prefer mech because of the reasons stated above. I kinda depends on what you're up against. Mech armies are good, but some armies they will have a hard time against. And it kinda sucks if your rhinos get blown up leaving your sisters out there like sitting ducks.

My current army is a hybrid, just 1 rhino, with jumpy seraphim, cannonesses etc. I haven't actually tried out mech yet, but it may be more efficent. I image i will change my list around about 50 times before i get something i like. Experience is a great teacher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

When I was all ground, there were times that I was absolutely clobbered.
    Squashed like ants, I tell you.

Now that I'm mobile (and more experienced) I never get smeared anymore.
    Sisters Repentia: Wow what beautiful models! Wow what terrible rules! -stjohn70

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

They both have pros and cons that can not be adiquately weighed, including what playing style you are most comfortable with, but for me the real differnce is this:

the majority of people play with marines. The majority of people therfore end up facing MEQs, accordingly, by drift as much as by planning, the majority of armies are tooled to take out MEQs, this means circumventing powered armour, it means ordinance, it means star cannon, it means plasma, all of which are downsides with foot sisters.
    So me, I got mechanised, not because their advantages are better than foot based sister, they may be, they may not, they are certainly different, but because my opponent will, 9 times out of 10, be better equiped to take on foot slogging sisters than mechanised sisters
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm goin to stand up for a footslogger army, the counter attack is where i shine and footsloggers work best in this role also the slow steady advance but i will give mech it's dues it is a viable but severly limititing tactic
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast