Space Marines Are The New Guard? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

Space Marines Are The New Guard?

hi,
    i remember someone seeing how many heavy weapons they could get in a list by min/maxing and the guard won but only by about 3 heavy bolters and 3 missile launchers
    now in this post someone aslo said that the space marines would do a lot better v the guard list because of there 3+ save and there not going to run away
    in return the guard list would get wasted or run away and they dont auto-rally like marines

now i was thinking that the only reson that we dont see marine armys out shooting us is because most of the time they take things like assaut squads or dreds
    i think that the heavy wep. cost sould go down because if you want to make a shoote space marines list (all marines min/maxing with no tanks) i seems that it would be better
    do you think this is ture because i hope this is not the case as i really like the guard as a army and as the best looking one too.

Last edited by KOS-MOS; May 20th, 2006 at 22:35.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm I honestly think you need to type a little bit better. That was pretty incoherent.

I don't think we'll be seeing alot devastator squad heavy marine armies if for no other reason they can't take alot of them quite like we can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

With traits a Marine list can have 6 Devastator Squads (3 heavy support, 3 elites that could infiltrate). Potentially that's 24 heavy bolters or the like to chew guardsmen up quite quickly. Basically what I think I'd try to do in that situation is keep my forces out of line of sight of as many of the squads as possible. If that's not do-able, then you have to take a look at whether he's got more anti-tank or anti-infantry firepower. Whichever one is less you hammer the hell out of squads with that type of weaponry and try to establish superiority. If he brought a lot of heavy bolters to mow down guardsmen but only a few missile launchers or lascannons to deal with vehicles, you pick on those squads exclusively and try to eliminate his capability to damage or destroy your Russes. Then have him eat ordance rounddsd for the entire game. Or vice versa.

Either way, its tricky. Normal guard lists aren't geared towards having to definitely outshoot Space Marines at long-range. When they can match us for quantity and already exceed us in quality, we might be in trouble.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

what they can take is 3 devastator squads and as many 5 man squads
    with 1 heavy and 1 special as they want

with this setup they can devastate(bad pun) your line squads with lots
    of heavy bolters and have the odd lascannon for any tanks around

this is what we are all about but it seems that marines can do it better
    then us if they want to cheese up there army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With our HW platoons we can take 30 HWs between the 3 HW platoons we're allowed.

But thats also close to a 1000 points to take 3 full HW platoons.

Then there are the HW options in HQ platoons we can take another 16 if we really wanted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get 60. 30 lascannons, and 30 hvy bolters if need be

Now lets see you make those 3+ sv's eh?
    For those enemies who willingly move against the Supreme judgement, of the Divine Emperor of man kind, Eternal death shall be granted. Amen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do you get 60? 2000 Points?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

People, I think we're getting a wee bit hung up on overall numbers. I think the point the original poster was trying to make is that a min-maxed Marine squad (5 marines + 1 heavy with an optional special) is fairly cost efficient. 75 points plus the cost of the heavies or specials puts them near the range of one Guard squad. With the premiums we pay on heavy weapons the cost is pretty similar in the end. And while we have a 2-1 weight of numbers advantage, the Marines outclass each individual guardsmen by far, both in terms of the damage they can sustain as well as inflict. The overall number of heavy weapons one can fit into an Army list with unlimited points is irrelevant since very few people play 3000+ point games. (Though if it makes you happy, the Guard win out because of the number of platoons we can field).

Now can we stop padding our post counts by argueing semantics, and try to keep things pertinent?
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well ye so what?, the ones there suggesting will be darned expensive too, unless its only 6 Dev squads, a messly 24 hvy weapons.

In total i think a marine army, can tote 24 for devs 6 for troops 2 hqs in razors, and troops in razors thats 24 + 6+ 2+ 2+ 6 = 40! at the best we could do 60 max. and thats 6 full 5 man squads and 3 hvy platoons, and Hq with support., thems aLOT of models for even 40 marine hvy weapons to take out
    For those enemies who willingly move against the Supreme judgement, of the Divine Emperor of man kind, Eternal death shall be granted. Amen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dude get over yourself

oh and +1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast