Holocaust... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holocaust...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holocaust...

What is the point of Holocaust?

I mean it hits your own troops as well... and okay you will say "you got armor save 2+ man" but still... I cannot think how I would feel about risking troops worth 46 points -each- just to get an extra 1 or 2 kills... it just seems to dangerous... and now that I think about it... there is always the chance of losing the GM a wound if he also happens to fail the save (and lets be honest a 1 is always a distinct possibility)...

Do you guys buy holocaust or not really?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Firstly, you can place the template in BtB contact with the model, remember, so if you place your hero "in the front", as it were, you can usually drop the template on top of just enemy models. It will depend on the shape of the battle lines of course, subsequent pile-ins and the like, so the danger is definitely there to hit your own folks, as you noted.

But your second point is really the reason I myself don't purchase it. Too dangerous to fail a save and sacrifice a mighty expensive model.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alot of pts per model..I think that's right? Correct me if I'm wrong. The Holocaust if too expensive to purchase for an already expensive model. Get more Grey Knights instead.
    Last edited by Alaric; May 22nd, 2006 at 23:47.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Inquisitors can have it to.. and their retinues don't tend to cost 40+ points a model, or even 20+.

Since daemonhunters don't get crusaders like witchunters, holocaust could be a way to help beef up an inquisitorial retinue into a mediocre, if not actually good, close combat unit.

Better still.. take an independent character inquisitor with it and stick him in a unit of stormtroopers or inducted guardsmen to make your opponent think twice about charging in with genestealers or orks.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; May 22nd, 2006 at 23:39.

Senior Member JuliusGaiusCaesar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You only have to buy it for the leader of the squad, not for every model in the squad. i personally, have never used holocaust, but it could definitely have its uses. In a high points game, bring in a GM with retinue with incinerators, holocaust on the HGM and mount them in a LRC. Not much will stand up to that, pretty expensive though, so only 2,000pts+, adn not against eldar or dark eldar.
    Last edited by JuliusGaiusCaesar; May 23rd, 2006 at 00:24.
    Et imperator Invocato Diabolus Daemonica Exorcist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

I've always viewed holocaust as a fluffy upgrade for the grey knights. I mean its opening yourself up to the group to allow everyone to channel their smaller amount of power into a larger one. Their has to be some risk to it after all, but when I use it (rare because I don't field grey knights that often) I put it on the justicars instead. I'd rather a 25/50pt risk for the loss(es) over a definate 50pt loss any day...

(You have seen nothing until you watch 40 grey knights hit the enemy lines, and then before the last of them falls to massed hordes the four justicars call forth four pie plates to take out even more of the enemy before falling themselves.)
    Last edited by darkreever; May 22nd, 2006 at 23:41.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delete points cost, it is copyright infringement.

Very Sorry

Also, you only have to buy it for the leader of the squad, not for every model in the squad.
    And very sorry

Senior Member JuliusGaiusCaesar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric
    And very sorry
    Don't be sorry, get mad! j/k
    Thanks for changing the post .
    Et imperator Invocato Diabolus Daemonica Exorcist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mantis does have a point, it is probably worth it in a CC inquisitor squad, but I would never, ever put it into a GK squad, those ones relly tend to be rolled alot....
    Scourging has a very distinct and special place in my heart though
    The gold grey knight man. These are hardy men who like cheese.

Ever thought of how cheese was found?:
    Brother captain
    `` I say sah, the milk in this barrel smells foul!``

Grand master:
    ``Oooohhh, give it a go!``

''Quack, damn you!''
    -Jamie heinamen, Mythbusters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Holocost is good against hoard assault armies like Orks, DE or 'Nids, actually its awesome against them!:w00t:
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast