Drop pods vs teleporting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop pods vs teleporting

Ok i'm gonna use deep strike for the first time, so what i want to know is this. Is it better to use a drop pod or to teleport them? And when you add a command squad to an hq does that count as 1 hq or 2?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Somewhere within the dark deeps of oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 1 answer: A drop pod is more expensive than deep striking, but you can land anywhere on the table without having to fear for enemy units or terrain being in the way.

Question 2 answer: It counts as one HQ.

~Zartas, first angel to fall from the grace of heaven
    Long ago there was something in me, but now that thing is gone,
    I cannot cry, I cannot care, that thing will come back no more.

If you like someone's post and/or found it useful please add to their reputation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x2)

1: Depends onw hat you want.
    Drop-pods cost 30 points, but can only be lost if they scatter off the table. And can be used to block line of sight.
    Teleporting can, if you use teleport homers, be much more accurate than a drop-pod, but it places the troops in a more vulnerable position (clustered up and in enemy range, depending on placement). Without teleport homer this method is even more risky, as it can scatter onto everything...

2: A command squad is ADDED to a character, thus is counts as a single HQ choise.
    "I have died a thousand deaths, and I will die a million more..."

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

I think the HQ question has been answered.

Not only do Drop Pods prevent your guys from landing right into your enemy, it becomes instant terrain, either your opponent ignores it and is unable to shoot through it, or they take shots to kill it to see through it next turn and lose those shots against your Dread/ Terminators/ Land Raider/ Vindicator etc etc. For it's measly cost, I think that the Drop Pod is the Best special rule for the Space Marines. Now imagine if Chaos had pods. :x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It just depends on your opponent if you want to use drop pods or a teleport homer. If your enemy has blast AP2/3 weapons that I would suggest to use the drop pod. The instant terrain that a drop pod creates is only usefull when using multiple drop pods or when there is a narrow allay between 2 pieces of terrain. Otherwise your opponent can simply manouvre around your drop pod.

If your opponent has little to none AP2/3 weapons then just use the teleport homer. You can get some extra marines for it and have some spare points which is always usefull. If you place your deep striking marines with some care they shouldn't have that much trouble with enemy fire.
    Don´t mess with the dicegod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on what you want to do with deep striking. If you want to deep strike a shooty squad it is highly recommended that you use a drop pod. Because when you disembark the drop pod, you cannot assault, you can only shoot. Plus drop pods have storm bolters or the deathwind launcher on them. So you can get more firepower off of it. The most effective way to use the drop pod is with a squad of termies with either cyclone missle launchers or assault cannons depending on what your target is and how far away you are from it.
    The second way, Teleportation deep strike should be used with assaulting squads. Best one to choose would be assault terminators with lightning claws (or throw in a couple of termies with thunder hammers and storm sheilds for clean up or vehichles) teleport in the middle of shooty squads and wreck total havok against your enemy. For example, if you sucessfully manage to get an infiltration squad with a teleport homer near your target, teleport your terminators with furious charge skills their and depending on what weapons you have (example 8 pairs of lightning claws and 3 pairs of thunder hammer with storm sheilds) will make your opponents piss in their pants. Calculating this example: Pair of lightning claws = 2 power weapon attacks WITH ability to re roll fail to wound rolls. Now in this squad you have 8 of them! 8*2 = 16. Dont forget furious charge +8 more! 24 +8 more for charging into assault 32! + 8 more For Terminator Honours standard = 40!!!! PLUS dont forget the ones with thunder hammers + 6 more!!! Grand total of 46 power weapon attacks 6 of them counting as power fists!!! Say good bye to annoying devastators//havoks, characters, command squads, etc and all that good stuff. For about 460 points including the drop pod and furious charge i say its a very good deal!

Second Company Apothecary SentryKiller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Check your rule book. Furious Charge does NOT allow an extra attack per model, it changes attributes on that model. (pg74)
    Quote Originally Posted by Montford981
    How can an entire army of intolerant, homicidal female pyromaniacs not be fun?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

For example, if you sucessfully manage to get an infiltration squad with a teleport homer near your target, teleport your terminators with furious charge skills their and depending on what weapons you have (example 8 pairs of lightning claws and 3 pairs of thunder hammer with storm sheilds) will make your opponents piss in their pants.
    Thats 11 terminators! You can only have a maximum of 10. If you deep strike your not going to be able to move so assault termies are going to be sitting ducks, if the arn't placed near cover, which is suicidal without a teleport homer. If you teleport take normal terminators with 2 assault cannons as they can still fire if they deep strike.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teleporting

Ok i get that if i drop pod i can't move/assault but isn't it the same for teleporting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Torro
    Ok i get that if i drop pod i can't move/assault but isn't it the same for teleporting?
    I think the idea is that you use the homer to make sure the termies have cover.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast