Help Assembling a Techmarine - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Assembling a Techmarine

So I picked up the Techmarine model with the full servo harness, and I'm wondering, how does this thing stay together. I've recently purchased a dremel to pin models, but I don't really see how I could go about doing that on the servo arms on the backpack. Will superglue be enough to hold the arms on, or will they fall right off? I know I'll have to pin the backpack, but that seems easy enough. The servo arms are like a whole different world of problems.

Any suggestions on how you've assembled them in the past would be very helpful.

-Justin

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm using this adhesive to bond any metal parts...: Loctite 401. Industrial strength lols.
    small drop does wonders~ :ninja:

.: NO PITY! NO REMORSE! NO FEAR! :.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

I use loctite as well. Pretty much any cyanoacrylic super glue should work. Trick is to not put to much on. The more you put on, the longer it takes to set (and therefore the longer you have to hold it place). Most of the joints on the Techmarine are peg and hole joint (if I remember correctly, been several months since I've assembled mine), put a little glue on the tip of the peg and then fill the hole to just under the edge and press the peg in. What glue is in the hole should be displaced by the peg and there shouldn't be enough to seep out of the joint.

Another thing to do is to wash the parts with dish washing soap. I'm not up on my metal casting trivia, but someone told me that the inside of the casts are coated to keep the metal from sticking to the cast and this oil sticks around. So washing the parts ensures a good bond for both glue and paint. Since I started doing that, I've had better success at assembling my metal models.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Manget_man is spot on with the casting residue remark. The same is true for plastic models - so the moral of the story is to wash the pieces in soapy water before you start to glue them. Doing so will increase the strength of the glue bonding.

There are several other methods of increasing the strength of superglue bond but these have been covered in other threads (here is one) so I wont go into them here.

If all else fails then I would suggest using a two part epoxy resin glue. This stuff can be a pain to use, and very messy, but when it comes to sticking things together it cant really be beaten. Just be sure you get the model positioned how you want it before the glue dries - you will have a job getting the pieces apart again once it has!

Hope this helps.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

The superglue is indeed a viable option, despite the other's being better. If you do go the superglue route, just make sure you hold the pieces together tightly for about 20-30 minutes for full effect. Or prop it up against something sturdy. <-- this requires patience and doesn't always work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My techmarine is pretty darn sturdy with simple zap-a-gap medium CA. I've dropped him from 3 feet onto carpet with nothing coming loose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zap a gap...I trust that stuff above all model glues. Wonderful stuff.

+ Reply to Thread