Rate my DIY special character - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How does Palatron look?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cheesy as hell

2 8.33%
  • Good, nice and balainced for his points

22 91.67%
  • Worthless, i'ld never field him

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

Rate my DIY special character

Here's my idea for a special character, please tell me how he rates... cheesy? balanced? worthless?

Anyways, the chapter makes extensive use of grenades, plasma weaponry, and combi weaponry.

Palatron, Chapter Master of the ___________

Palatron counts as an HQ choice, and may be used in armies of 1500pts or more.

POINTS: 175 WS: 5 BS: 5 S: 4 T: 4 W:4 I: 5 A: 4 LD: 10 SV: 2+/5+

Wargear: terminator armour, verix claws, pelecon launchers.

SPECIAL RULES

Furious: Palatron is known for his brutal assaults, therefore he counts as having the furious charge universal special rule

Rites Of Battle: Same as normal space marine commanders

Verix Claws: These claws are rumoured to have been a special gift to palatron from the chapter primarch. They are a pair of lightning claws, one incorporates a bolter, the other a plasma gun. In game terms this counts as a combi-plasma and a pair of lightning claws. (note that as these are built in weaponry palatron still benefits from the extra attack for 2 cc weapons.

Pelecon launchers: Palatron is an avid user of grenades, and uses them extensivly in battle. However, since his terminator armour prevents him from using grenades, he had a special shoulder mounted grenade launcher system to hurl grenades while assaulting. However as he does not throw the grenades himself he has to have them pre loaded before battle. In game terms, Palatron counts as having either Frag Grenades OR Krak Grenades OR meltabombs. (decide before the game starts)

Ok thats the guy, here's how i got his points value.......

First i started with the basic master points value. then to add in the extra wound i put in the same amount of points as chaos would pay for d-essence. Then lightning claws and a combi plasma were selected at normal points cost. Terminator armour was also added at normal points cost. I figured a good cost for the pelecon launchers is 3 points, as it carries wargear that is less or more points than it. The final 12 points were for furious charge as well as the ability to have the gauntlent mounted weaponry.

so.... 75+15+30+15+25+3+12 = 175pts

75+15+

Last edited by gen.nehring; May 25th, 2006 at 08:25.
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty good. Seems very balanced and I like that grenade launcher thing. Although it would probably be better if he had some kind of weakness to make up for breaking some rules.
    The Ten Dimensions

"I read about something like this in a book." "Are you sure it was a book? Are you sure it wasn't nothing?" "...Oh yeah."-Peter and Brian Griffin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's good compared to many other super cheesy special characters we've seen on this forum. It's not to bad, but a few things may need to be adjusted.

Only Marneus Calgar had 4 wounds. (to make up for initiative problems)
    I really don't see why your character needs 4 wounds.

Also there is a small fluff problem. You say your character aquired his chapter from A PRIMARCH! Thats a little silly since primarchs were first founding for the space marine legions at the begining! So how 'bout he aquired them from the Chapter Founder, not a Primarch :rolleyes:

Other then that I like it. I would play against it if you took off the 4th wound.

EDIT: Oh yes I forgot, all home made special characters must have a small weakness Maybe something like, If his plasma gun overheats, he loses the rxtra attack for having two close combat weapons for the rest of the turn/game?
    Last edited by Squeaks; May 25th, 2006 at 08:49.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Iagree, remove the point about the Primatch, only the first founding legions had Primarchs.
    Other than that the model looks fine, though I would alter his weapons twin Lightingn claws and a combiplasma is to heavy even for terminator armour.

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x7)

I think this guy is perfect. Completely balanced. Better than other peoples characters who cost around 100 points and have the capabilities comparable to a C'tan. Keep up the good work.

Maybe a Librarian would be good to accompany him.

Senior Member Soviet_Tau_Commander's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not bad. Not overpowered, not undercosted, but I would still like to see him have a weakness.
    There once was a Lord named Vlad,
    Who's fighting skillz really were mad.
    He killed and he maimed,
    He spilled blood in Khorne's name.
    And the fact that he's legal makes me glad
    (special thanks to Uriel Zarium for the last line/touching it up)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

I'm basically saying what the other guys have said but here goes...

First, congrats on not going down the road of making a marine with S+T 5 - a road that too many travel. I think your idea is well balanced and worthy of its points cost. I also like the fact that you have stuck to your chapter's "combi guns and grenades" idea with this guy. It it only right that a chapter master should set an example for the rest of the chapter to follow, and giving him a combi weapon and a grenade launcher does this nicely. The weaponry you have created for him is original but not cheesy-powerful.

You could give him a weakness if you want to, but I dont think this is necessary (unless there is a rule for character generation that i am unaware of - in which case my apologies).

Would I play against your character? Yes.

If you ever model him be sure to post pics.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

and may be used in armies of 1500pts
    Why not allow him to play in any point level game? he isnt unblanced enough to warrent such a need.

POINTS: 175 WS: 5 BS: 5 S: 4 T: 4 W:4 I: 5 A: 4 LD: 10 SV: 2+/5+

Wargear: terminator armour, verix claws, pelecon launchers.

SPECIAL RULES

Furious: Palatron is known for his brutal assaults, therefore he counts as having the furious charge universal special rule

Rites Of Battle: Same as normal space marine commanders
    If he is known for brutial assault make him a chaplain, and give him furious charge.

Verix Claws: These claws are rumoured to have been a special gift to palatron from the chapter primarch. They are a pair of lightning claws, one incorporates a bolter, the other a plasma gun. In game terms this counts as a combi-plasma and a pair of lightning claws. (note that as these are built in weaponry palatron still benefits from the extra attack for 2 cc weapons.
    This is pretty simliar to the ultra marines hero. Simliar point cost, weapons, ext. It just seems like a better cargle, isntead of having worthless Powerfists you've given him lightening claws.

Pelecon launchers: Palatron is an avid user of grenades, and uses them extensivly in battle. However, since his terminator armour prevents him from using grenades, he had a special shoulder mounted grenade launcher system to hurl grenades while assaulting. However as he does not throw the grenades himself he has to have them pre loaded before battle. In game terms, Palatron counts as having either Frag Grenades OR Krak Grenades OR meltabombs. (decide before the game starts)
    Dont really like this rule.

Why dont you make something else up, such as hes trained his terminator squad to excell at assaults, when assaulting, they may bust through cover that opponents might choice to hide behind, due to the massive wieght of the terminator armour, they can simply trample over any obsticle in there way.

To resprosent this, he, and any squad he is with has frag grenades, but only if the models are in terminator armor.

Your putting a lot of points into this dude, and hes not very good.

I know, i think you could make a much better charactor without the need of speical rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You certianly cannot have 4 wounds, that just to much. I would also think about 10 point for the grenade thing as it can be melta and thats not cheap.
    The following was an outstanding repsonce in the Thread "Broodlord and his BS skill"

Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja
    Well, you never know... it might come in handy if he decides to throw a dead Guardsman at someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall I like it. I was thinking of doing something similar with LCs myself.

One thing though.....

Palatron? Sounds kinda like a dirty stinking Tau to me.... heh.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast