chaplains and terminators? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chaplains and terminators?

Hi, im new to WH40K and only just started collecting, so some of my questions may be quite simple. but if you have a chaplain in teminator armour, is it worth attaching him to a squad of terminators or assault terminators? if you can which one would be best (if any) and why, or would it just end up being a waste of points?:wacko:

Apologies for the simple question but I dont want to go for a game to be told i cant use it or attach it to a squad of terminators when the chaplain could be utilised better in a squad of assault terminators or vice versa.

thanks

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Soviet_Tau_Commander's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it worth it? YEEEEESSSSS!!!!

Assault Terminators with Lightning Claws + Chaplain + Charging = Reroll failed to hit + Reroll failed to wound... with power weapons no less.
    There once was a Lord named Vlad,
    Who's fighting skillz really were mad.
    He killed and he maimed,
    He spilled blood in Khorne's name.
    And the fact that he's legal makes me glad
    (special thanks to Uriel Zarium for the last line/touching it up)

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

I'd also say that it is worth it in a regular terminator squad. How many times have you failed to kill that tyranid mostrous creature simply because you missed with your powerfist. It happened several times in my last game with 'Nids. Trust me, the chaplain is just good wherever he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks...assault terminators and the chaplain it is then!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Careful with assault terminators- they are not very points efficient efficient. Whilst regular termies can SHOOT and ASSAULT your assault termies can only assault which means that for one, two or three turns they will be doing nothing. When they do assault they will generally destroy the opposition, which could leave them embarassingly exposed to enemy fire before (or if) they can find something else to assault. I find that people back off and shoot the c**p out of them, and that is my tactic when facing them.

I am assuming you are using a DW or other termy-heavy army? if so then don't use assault termies in anything less than 2000-2500 point games, then, ideally they will need a Land Raider Crusader to get to the enemy to assault or else they'll be shot to pieces (you can't deepstrike or drop pod as the Chappy and Termies are different units and will need to reserve roll seperately) which makes for a VERY expensive unit.

If you are not using a DW army, you will be better of with a large squad of Assault Marines (8-10) and attach the Chaplain with a jump pack. This combination will be considerably cheaper, only slightly less effective in assault but will open up other tactial possibilities.

Yes I know assault termy models LOOK good, it doesn't mean they will perform as well in action.

cheers
    Zuriel
    Keeper of the Dark Fortress
    Member of the Inner Circle
    Current armies: Deathwing and Grey Knights (I'd have more if my wife would let me)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost always take my Terminator Chaplain with my regular Terminators. Even just the fact that you have an extra storm bolter, and a power weapon instead of a power fist can come in handy! Add the bonus of the charging reroll to hit and ld 10, and it makes a lot of sense.
    Bolter Blasting Blizzard = Victory

BringerOfStormsGallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see a fellow Soviet, and yes it's worth it!
    No Pity! No Remorse! No Fear!
    Black Templars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Ok, I don't usualy do this, but use the search function!

There have been abotu twenty threads abotu this within the past year and you get basically the same feedback with each one.

Oh and if you're new to 40k, then no because in games of under 2,000 pts, your opponnent will concentrate EVERYTHING on that one unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Chaplains are great in every situation you put him in.
    Is he worth putting into a Termie Squad of some sort? Hell yes! Adding him into a Termie squad is probably one of the best squads you could choose to add him to.

The question is, which squad to choose? It is really up to you, and what army you are facing, and what job you need to be done.

But having a Terminator Assault Squad with lightning claws lead by a Chaplain is one hell of a deadly force! With re rolls to hit (chaplains special rule), and then re rolls to wound (lightning claws), you just cant go wrong! :lol:

Cheers,
    Tycho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    But having a Terminator Assault Squad with lightning claws lead by a Chaplain is one hell of a deadly force! With re rolls to hit (chaplains special rule), and then re rolls to wound (lightning claws), you just cant go wrong!
    Don't forget to load them up in a crusader!
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

+ Reply to Thread