Possible interested in starting guard.... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible interested in starting guard....

Here's my quandry: I want a new 40k army to work on until the new Eldar codex comes out. I currently we Deathwing. I was looking at a regular marine army (since I have nearly enough parts) or a chaos armys (same situation) but neither really interests me. In general another marine army doesn't really interest me. I need some advice regarding getting another army. I want a non-marine, non-meq army, preferably one that is challenging to play. Keep in mind I will be doing Eldar when the new dex hits. I'm looking for about 2000 points. Armies I am considering include IG, Tau, and even Orcs.

If you've made it this far your to be applauded. I have the guard 'dex and have read it through several times and have been toying with potential lists. The problem I have is there just doesn't seem to be a whole of options for grabbing objectives, except for the Armored Fist unit or mounted stormtroopers. You can't really use the heavy tanks as they are going to be targetted fairly soon in the battle.

Lists I am looking at contain 3 russes, and 2 Armored fist units, in addition to all the static shooting. Is this a good idea? Is this absolute wrong way to go about building a winning guard army?

So in conclusion I want 2 things from the IG community here:
    (1) Sell me on guard vs Tau or Orcs
    (2) Tell me an IG army plays...

Thanks for any help you can provide.

EH

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are looking at an army that plays nothing like deathwing, eldar, or marines, you should take a look at guard. However, if you do, building a 2000 point force in such a short period of time is a little crazy. If you do choose the guard route, I would reccomend a small, elite force. Look at some of the old Guard army lists in the Army Lists section. I would reccomend grenadiers. Even though I personally can't stand stormtroopers, they can be devastating in the right circumstances. Rough Riders could be fun too, but finding models for them can be a real pain. So, that is my reccomendation. Good luck.
    "When one man dies it is a tragedy. When thousands die its a statistic."
    -Stalin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't listen to the above post complete trash more to come later...I'm too tired to explain why the concept of a small elite guard unit is a complete garbage again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The idea of a stopgap army seems expensive in money and time. You should start collecting Eldar if you like them. Even if they change the codex, some guardians and aspect warriors will ever be useful. You might start a 400 pts eldar combat patrol with basic units, then expand it to a full army when the new codex comes out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

::yawns:: I'd recommend for 2000 points in Guard is a couple of platoons of three squads each, a single heavy support choice, a single mounted Storm Trooper squad, mabye a hellhound or a squadron of sentinels, I'd also recommend a Commissar and the ever lovable/dependable vox-net. These are just my recommendations for a guard army and at tops it could possibly take mabye two months to assemble and possibly another month to fully paint.

May the Emperor grant us a victory for the Imperium!::raises fist as the LO Battlecluster Commissar::
    I'll be damned before the soldiers of the Emperor are just left to rot!
    Last words of Colonel Densit from the Rahaxin 19th

"DISS NOT THE EMPEROR'S POINTED STICK, HERETIC!"

If it doesn't work with the Emperor. Then it's been officially Karmooned!!!

BEWARE THE POWER OF THE LIGHT-BRIGHT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

may i suggest, if you are looking forward to an elder army, dont bother getting another army because i am sure elder are coming soon and by that time you could be half wy through this army. so i guess a good thing to do would be to just sit back and wait, it wont kill you.

but if you insist on an army, come in my friend and welcome to the ulitamte sacrifce for the emperor, DEATH!
    thats what i base guard on, and it seems to go ok. i reccomend infantry and a f%@k load of it. but i am not the best person to ask, but thats what i am basing my guard army on atm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just recently finished my army, and played with it at regional gave 10th outta 25. I have the same problem with capturing objects. mainly in a recon. In some cases if your static shhoting goes well you can advance with infantry on an objective around turn 3-4. In a recon ( i never did this but maybe ) you can drop troop a platoon or maybe 2 into your opponents lines, assuming there mobile, and are going for yours.

For a list I like platoon platoon and more platoon.... and some ordanance and hevy weapons. Mass Guards are pretty strong when bunched up so you can make it to objectives on foot. Otherwise if you feel lucky go for shoot em to heck strat. ( only happened 3 outta 5 games ).

I dont like elites much in IG but thats up too you, the whole mass guard thing is a biatch to unpack each game, and gets looong sigh from opponents, so maybe a elite army would be easier if your going for eldar.....
    For those enemies who willingly move against the Supreme judgement, of the Divine Emperor of man kind, Eternal death shall be granted. Amen

+ Reply to Thread