Artillery Team question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Artillery teams

Hi, I'm a new guard player, recently converted from space marine and have a question that needs answering. I can't find anything in the rulebook or IG codex about it.

Anyway, here goes

If you take a heavy weapon team for a command platoon. (so they are seperate from any squads), do they (the support team of six guardsmen with three hv. wpns.) have to remain coherent and fire at the same target just like an infantry unit, or can they be out of coherency and choose seperate targets to fire at.

Please, I'm desperate, I've checked the artillery rules and can't find anything, and I've skimmed over the codex endlessely.

If you can understand what I just wrote, please tell me the answer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Are you asking about a heavy weapon team in the command squad? Or are you asking for an attatched Fire support/Anti Tank squad?

I'm guessing the second since you mention six men with three heavy weapons. Unless you meant a mortar team, since you mention 'artillery' a lot (although I'd hesitate to call mortars artillery).

I guess it doesn't matter, because as far as I know, there is no rule allowing such a team from either the command squad or the fire support/anti tank/mortar squad to 'seperate' as you suggest.

They must remain coherent and fire at the same target because they are a squad as their name suggests. I believe the detatching of heavy weapon teams is something that you could do with the previous codex, not this one.

If you really want to include seperate heavy weapon teams, try checking out the rules for the 'last chancers' on page 54 of the codex.

Either way, this question belongs in the IG section, not rules help so I'll move it along.
    Last edited by Grey; May 31st, 2006 at 14:00.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

As Grey said, the 6 man weapons squads are squads, they must remain in coherency and fire at the same target, regardless of if they are bought as part of a fire support platoon as a HS choice or part of a HQ platoon as a HQ choice. That means those 6 models, not other squads in a platoon, I think you were talking about HQ squad, so, for clarity and the sake of arguement, lets say you bought a HQ platoon consisting:

Command squad (HSO, power weapon, bolt pistol, medic, standard bearer, las cannon team)

AT squad (6 guardsmen, 3 lasguns, 3 las cannons)

Mortar squad (6 guardsmen, 3 lasguns, 3 mortars)

This is 1 slot on the force org chart, and is roleld for in reserves as a single slot (one roll and success means all come on) however it comprises 3 squads (as the lines denote) and can deploy, although at the same time, to completely different areas of the board. However, for each of the three squads, each squad must act as a squad for purposes of unit coherncy and targeting. note thaat the mortars are a barrage, so all mortars fire at one target (using the barage rules), all las cannons in the AT squad fire at another target if they wish (although all at the same target), and the Command squad can chose to fire at a third target

Hope that helps
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Puts up hand, were does it say 3 lasguns? why not 6 ?, says armed with lasguns ... thus all are armed not just loader.

but otherwise the other 2 points up are correct 1 squad 1 target
    For those enemies who willingly move against the Supreme judgement, of the Divine Emperor of man kind, Eternal death shall be granted. Amen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but one has to do the firing. so it can't shoot the mortar and lasgun.
    Fifth Edition Saved 40k for Me. I love my ratlings and my cover saves!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

I think he means arguably if the moratar squad moved they could fire 6 lasguns as they can not fire the mortar.

I dont think there is a clear ruling on this, although if you look at IG army lists on GW sites and WD I think on some of them (and I think that owen reeces army in the back of the latest WD is like this) it states 3 lasguns, although it aint in the codex.

All rules state people can be armed with a single 2 handed and 1 one handed weapon in terms of restrictions on 2handed weapons, clearly the mortar would be a 2handed weapon so that, admittedly inference, would indicate that there are 3 lasguns.

Clearly the heavy weapon weighs a lot, carrying around a lasgun too would seem very encumbering, frankly it would seem fluffy that there are only 3 lasguns

Finally if someone I played against used 6 lasguns, I would smile, say "fine" and thing "rules lawyer/powergamer"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't see that in the codex, but none the less he would have a lasgun or las & ccw ( command squad )

does eldar weapon plats need someone to fire them? i.e. the guardian cant fire his catapult?

edit: i find it unlikely that 1 model would carry the lascannon... it'd be a team effort thus i figured seeing as it makes no mention of one model carrying the lasgun and one the weapon, that both are armed with it and the lascannon is just fired ...
    Last edited by Stifflersthedog; May 31st, 2006 at 16:45.
    For those enemies who willingly move against the Supreme judgement, of the Divine Emperor of man kind, Eternal death shall be granted. Amen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

frankly is it worth the arguement over 3 lasgun shots?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 if you rapid fire :rolleyes: never loose an argument ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to confuse the issue... cough cough... city fight... deployed separately but can't move and can fire at separate targets if I recall the heavy weapons rules correctly... cough cough... LOL

Other than that everything else is as stated above... I don't field my weapons crews with more than one lasgun each.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast