Conqueror Tank - Best Hull Weapon?? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Conqueror Tank - Best Hull Weapon??

Hi,

I wonder what views and experience people had with the Conqueror and the most useful hull weapon choice.

Logic says a Heavy Bolter along with the H/B sponsons - however if I took the "anti-tank rounds drill" - then I could stand on the brakes for a turn and get two 48" range shots with both the lascannon and Heavy 1 cannon - making this a useful AT option?

Any thoughts?

(apart from "buy a Vanquisher you moron" that is )

Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd opt for the Heavy bolter and dedicate the Conqueror tank to anti-infantry. IG has plenty of options for heavy tank hunting, Lascannons and Missile launchers a plenty in the infantry squads.

The extra 3 shots are a blessing at the poor BS3.
    Archaon's Top Tip for profiting from the End Time: Pillage before you burn

When I say jump you don't ask me 'How high?' maggot! You jump!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Archaon
    I'd opt for the Heavy bolter and dedicate the Conqueror tank to anti-infantry. IG has plenty of options for heavy tank hunting, Lascannons and Missile launchers a plenty in the infantry squads.

The extra 3 shots are a blessing at the poor BS3.
    But isn't the conquerer only available to armoured companies? (Famed for being amongst the deadliest anti-troop units.)

I think that the anti-tank role for the conquerer may end up being a good idea, but only for armoured companies and keeping inmind that two anti-tank shots is better than one because thats two chances to hit instead of one...

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if you are going tank hunting with it then in for a penny in for a pound give it a HK missile. Kill the biggest meanest vehicles on the board and then get back to gunning down infantry or what ever.

but probably the best thing would be to have it with a LC. Nothing sucks worse than getting a weapon destroyed reducing your 150+ point tank and all its extra bling only being able to kill 1 marine a turn with a heavy bolter. At least with a LC it can still be a threat and as a result will still attract fire away from your other more mobile systems...

just some thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

ok so what so good about the Conqueror Tank = it can move and shoot so y give it a lascannon
    as it cant use it if it moves

id go for 3 heavy bolters, then you can move the tank and use it the way it was made for

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Maybe its just me, but I don't see where a Conqueror can take anti-tank shells. The entry specifically mentions "battle cannons" which are on standard Russes, but the Conqueror doesn't have that.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Sokhar
    Maybe its just me, but I don't see where a Conqueror can take anti-tank shells. The entry specifically mentions "battle cannons" which are on standard Russes, but the Conqueror doesn't have that.
    Well according to the GW bumpf the Conqueror carries:

"a shorter barrelled version of the battle cannon, firing a less destructive shell."

This lighter version allows it move and shoot and has a reduced damage profile in consequence.

I suppose it depends on whether or not a lighter battle-cannon is still a "battle-cannon"?

Anti-Tank Rounds:

"The Regiment is known for engaging enemy armour with battle cannons rather than lacannons"

So I took that to mean as it's still a "battle cannon" it could therefore use Anti-Tank Rounds?

Obviously their effect 2D6 + ST would be based on the Conqueror Cannon profile - NOT - the Leman Russ Cannon Profile!!

If they've made a more handy cannon it would seem logical they made handier versions of the ammo types to fit it maybe?

I wouldn't presume to insist upon it though, it's only a possible for in-house games.

I wonder if anyone has ever come across this and had a definitive <cough> ruling from GW
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderer
    ...but probably the best thing would be to have it with a LC. Nothing sucks worse than getting a weapon destroyed reducing your 150+ point tank and all its extra bling only being able to kill 1 marine a turn with a heavy bolter. At least with a LC it can still be a threat and as a result will still attract fire away from your other more mobile systems...

just some thoughts
    That's sort of what I was thinking, and also for the Exterminator I have - I know - logically - it should be H/B all the way, but I just wonder about having the back-up option of that anti-armour punch given I've only the one tank in the army. Plus I just think there's something - I dunno - neat? - about the LR with it's 1920's multiple weapon types - even if it's both historically and gaming-wise a bit of a dog's dinner?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

The way I read things (and its by no means official nor would I attempt to pass it off as such, just my interpretation) is that the reference to battle cannon in the AT Rounds entry refers to battle cannons. IE the strength 8, AP 3 weapon possessed by Leman Russ Battle Tanks. It doesn't refer to the cannon on a Leman Russ Demolisher, that's a Demolisher Cannon, not a battle cannon. Likewise it doesn't refer to the Conqueror's turret weapon because that's specifically named a Conqueror cannon in its entry. I think there's a reason they use the Battle Cannon's stats in the AT Rounds entry, and that's because only standard Leman Russ Battle Tanks can take that option.

Could I be wrong? Certainly. Just my take on it though, and why I won't personally use that approach (in addition to not being a fan of Russ Conquerors).
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Sokhar
    The way I read things (and its by no means official nor would I attempt to pass it off as such, just my interpretation) is that the reference to battle cannon in the AT Rounds entry refers to battle cannons. ....
    Yes, looking at it that way a Battle Cannon is a Battle Cannon not a Conqueror Cannon and I suspect that could be the official line too - pity - I liked the idea of my Commander yelling:

"Driver - Halt, Gunner - Armour Piercing"

"Sabot Up"

"On the Waaay!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast