Help wanted - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help wanted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help wanted

Hey, I would really appreciate if you help me out here. I just started an Imperial Guard army, so here we go, hope to the emperor there are no flames...

I am looking for a 1500-2000 point army, made of a lot of men and only two Leman Russes. How should I kit my squads, I want enough to be dedicated to both the anti-tank and anti-infantry role, and what role would my tanks take?

I also want to use snipers, but I can't find their stats, am I forced to use Cadian Snipers as Ratlings, as I despise those ugly models? I really want to use snipers, they look great (excluding ratlings) and always wanted to use one in Warhammer.

What kind of commander is recomended? The one who stays back with a commissar and master vox and produces a great Ld aura, or the Heroic Leader with a bunch of upgrades who charges into battle heroicly alongside commissars, priests, and what have you? Should a heavy weapon platform accompany them?

How should I field Stormtroopers, drop pods or deploying in infiltration or regularly with my army? What special weapon should I be giving them?

Should I field heavy weapon platforms with my infantry?

I have only bought a command squad, so where should I move to next?

Thanks so much for helping, I am sorry these are opinionated but try to give me your best recommendation. It will be very appreciated, and please don't flame me, thanks again.

Last edited by flakdragon; June 1st, 2006 at 01:08.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by socprof
    I'm not going to plan your army for you.
    Good for you, and if you have no advice to add to the obvious then don't bother posting spam.

The commander that takes four plasma troops with him in a transport is never a bad choice. Who doesn't like dealing out 4-8 plasma shots...

For stormtroopers, give them a role and then decide how they should go about doing it.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flakdragon

I have only bought a command squad, so where should I move to next?

Thanks so much for helping, I am sorry these are opinionated but try to give me your best recommendation. It will be very appreciated, and please don't flame me, thanks again.

2 Battleforces. You'll get the two tanks you want, 6 heavy weapon teams and 40 men you will need. After that, it really depends on how you want to play your army, but you wont go wrong with two battleforces. I bought two when I first started, then padded out with stormies and more men etc.. its one of the best deals GW has.
    What Guardsmen dont want to hear...
    "Ok boys, time to fix bayonets!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, thanks guys, I am glad you helped out, except for the first poster but hey. So are Leman Russes good at the anti-tank role, or should I leave that to lascannons exclusively?

Also, don't all infantry platoons require a command squad, so I will need to purchase those as well?
    Last edited by flakdragon; June 1st, 2006 at 02:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Russes are better at anti-heavy infantry like space marines. They can do anti-tank in a pinch, but can only take one lascannon, and their battlecannon isn't too reliable at killing things with an AV14. Generally it's best to put all heavy bolters on the Russ, that way if he looses his battlecannon you have 3 of the same class of weapon you can take against infantry. It saves you some points too wich is always nice.

Deep striking Storm troopers with melta guns are a good anti tank option, as are lascannon squads, demolisher tanks (wich do get through av 14 reliably.) Lascannon setinals ect for heavy tanks
    light tanks: autocannon squads, setinals with multi-lasers or autocannons, or any of the heavier tank options will work.

For snipers you can use the special weapons teams: 3 snipers, 3 guardsmen, or you can use the light infantry docterine and use sniper rifles as heavy weapons for your line squads.

Guard have a suprizing number of options once you look closer than the initial glance. Pick something you like and run with it. Posting armies you are considering fielding in the army section can get you even more help, geared towards what you've brought to the table.
    Votewar MKV 2nd place. . .

Back from internet limbo, and glad to be here.

Just beyond the veil of reality (the darkness comes!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually, I put 1 lascannon, 2 heavy bolters, and a pintle heavy stubber on my russes, and it works like a charm. There isn't a thing out there that I can't deal with with my russes and that makes me happy. Sorry, just had to say that first. I don't use my russes in an anti-tank role if I have infantry to blast, but against lighter armor the battlecannon penetrates easily enough and rolling on the ordinance penetrating chart is a wonderful thing!

As far as "what do I need to get" your best bet is to read the guard codex thoroughly a few times, then start thinking about what doctrines you want to take, and how you want to play your army. You only want to take 2 tanks, but with your platoons (of which each requires a junior officer+retinue), are you going to infiltrate them? Are you going to deep strike them? Are they going to be wearing carapace armor? Are they going to be conscripts? These are all options you can take on your guardsmen, and before you get really carried away with what role your stormies and tanks are for, you need to decide what the bulk of your army is going to do first. Plan your elites, heavy support, and fast attacks around what your troops are doing.

As far as storm troopers, I find that infiltrating them is generally kinda lame, only because Hardened Veterans squads also infiltrate, have the same BS, and can carry a better array of weaponry. Plus, if you're only using 1 it doesn't eat up a doctrine point. That having been said, you should either put your stormies in a chimera or deepstrike them. DSing them with a melta gun is an ok anti-tank solution, but in the guard we've got better ways to kill tanks without throwing our elites around the board, and for this burying a lascannon in your infantry squads or on your hardened vets is just magnificent. Lascannon support squads are fun like that too.

For snipers, ratling snipers are actually pretty worth it. Most people I know would have no problem if you used cadian snipers or any other non-ratling sniper model for the ratlings, because the models are kinda lame. I personally am converting a sniper squad right now using a roll of medical gauze as ghilli suits, it looks pretty cool thusfar. But outside of ratling squads, I find that a sniper rifle is pretty useless. Oddly enough, in the year 40,000 the complete opposite of sniper mythology exists... it's not "1 shot 1 kill" but rather "lets throw a lot of shots at that high toughness target!". Instead of working alone and being effective, which would make sense, snipers need to mass fire like that. I know, its retarded.

hope that helps
    "And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
    - Rome: Total War

my armies
    9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
    Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
    Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -31 (x0)

Weeeeell..... sounds like you got a lot of good advice. let me just throw some more out:

1. Leman Russes are the HAUS!!!! You see a bunch of gaunts, all spread out, you hit them with 3 heavy bolters. you see a space marine squad, you drop a pie plate, you see any light armor, and don't have any jucier targets, fire everything you can!

2. never underestimate standard guardsmen. According to a study we did at our local game shop, for ever 20 infantry you deploy ,your chance of loosing on average goes down 25%, and your chance of tying goes up 15%, and your chance of winning goes up 10%. That's pretty good.

3. the best way to take out tanks is with lascannons (ofcourse) Now, isnce you are only using 2 tanks, you have an empty heavy support. You could throw in some heavy support squads there, and give them sharp shooters. That is an insanely powerful unit, and you can take groups of tanks down in one turn. I would then give your infantry autocannons or missile launchers.

4. SNipers SUCK in 40k, which makes me mad. But that's ok, because most people that play Halo and use snipers, or think it's all cool to be a sniper and crap don't even know the other fundamental part, besides the shooting. In 40k, snipers have that other fundamental part, but they don't have the shooting down. Sure, they can be stealthy and cause pinning and crap, but lets face it gents, they are basically lasguns with scopes.....

5. KEY TO IMPERIAL GUARD::: your tanks kill their infantry. Your infantry kill their tanks.
    TSg.t Zakarius Clay
    142nd Cadian, Stationed Planet Skyfall B
    4th Brigade, 1st Battalion, 1st Co.
    'The Pathfinders', Drop Team - 6

Pssst.... give me kudos....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, thanks again for all the assistance. I have thought of making my army around the historical basis of the Soviet Union during WW2 (1941-45) so I know what I am doing (I am a WW2 buff). I will soon post a list, and if you still wanna help me out check it out today or by tommorrow in the lists section. I probabl won't be owning most of the models listed, but I would rather lay down a plan first then buy things and then find out it was for naught. Thanks for the tips though!

Just beyond the veil of reality (the darkness comes!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run a sovietish list, and let me tell you it works like magic. Take conscripts as a counter assault, commissars, fill up your infantry platoons, some big tanks (leman russ=t-34 in my mind) and for fast attack consider a hellhound (as far as I know flame tanks weren't very common in the soviet army, but the thought of scorched earth is very stalinistic)
    "And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
    - Rome: Total War

my armies
    9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
    Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
    Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can check uot my lsit under for the motherland in the lists section, its basically what a svoiet army was built for, as much infantry as they could fit in, fierce doctrines and strong morale for their planet, and my favorite tank and the best one in all of history, the T-34's (the leman russ looks very similar to the 34 series).

+ Reply to Thread