Black Templars with boltguns - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Templars with boltguns

does anyone field a BT army and have marines with boltguns? or have any ideas about it?

Black Templars 3000 points
    Tau Empire 1750 points
    Tyranids 1500 points

Hordes of Chaos *Coming soon*

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a mix of bolters and bolt pistols in my squads so that if neccesary I can stand back and fire those precious bolter rounds. Also if I suffer casualties the bolters are taken out first.

It can't do any harm to have a few bolters in your squad. Just make sure you have more bolt pistols than bolters.
    Don´t mess with the dicegod

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

Bolters are not to be underestimated.

S4 AP5 will kill most enemy models very easily plus rapid fire gives you more of these happy explosive missles of death.

Sure you can't charge when rapid firing but you should get enough casualties with them to not worry about it.

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

That and Righteous Zeal...
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Bolters are nice guns, regardless of what chapter is holding them. Honestly, they're better on Black Templars than any one else (except possibly for models with True Grit) in my opinion, simply because you can stand still and still close in because of RZ. It gives you a (slight) edge in a shoot off. If I'm fielding a Marine heavy army, I usually try to stick in at least one squad full of bolters if not two.

I go back and forth on putting bolters into a BP/CCW squad however. You can take one or two, and it won't hurt you any since you'll almost certainly lose that many to shooting casualties before you see CC anyways. If you're looking at a squad in a drop pod, they're definately worth it. For a foot slogger squad, however, I'm less certain. They'll be handy if you have to stop in that 6"-12" zone where you can't charge, but may as well shoot. What you have to ask yourself is if you're going to be in that zone very often. While standing still, you -will- get a bit of extra range... but I can't imagine wanting to do that often unless you're packing a heavy weapon.... and since a heavy weapon costs us our chance at a power fist, that's just not going to be happening often.
    You play your game, I'll play mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are going to put bolters in a BT army, don't mix and match it with bolt pistols and CCWs. Have one unit with only bolters, and one unit with pistols CCW. Mixing them up, you will be neutering yourself, as not all will have the same shooting range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got one squad put together with boltguns. The plan was to have then cruise around in a Rhino and blast an enemy before another Rhino full of CCW marines charged to finish off what was left. There would be a PF in the boltgun squad incase they were counter-charged by another enemy unit. Is this a sound plan?
    Black Templars 3000 points
    Tau Empire 1750 points
    Tyranids 1500 points

Hordes of Chaos *Coming soon*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Grimm
    If you are going to put bolters in a BT army, don't mix and match it with bolt pistols and CCWs. Have one unit with only bolters, and one unit with pistols CCW. Mixing them up, you will be neutering yourself, as not all will have the same shooting range.
    I disagree. As you woll be moving each turn, you can only rapid-fire the bolters, reducing the range to 12". Same as the pistols. But you get some extra shots while moving, killing more enemies on the approach. Just make sure you remove ant bolter-wielding marines as casualties, as you want the CCW's to survive for the charge.

So 2-4 bolters per squad certainly can't hurt, and I've seen dicegod's squads with I believe 50% bolters being quite effective against several opponents. Don't dismiss the mix option, as it can often do more than you think. Yes, you lose CC potential, but you'would anyway due to casualties. Plus you gain a bit in shooting, so it's not that bad.
    "I have died a thousand deaths, and I will die a million more..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Grimm. I would not mix and match bp with bolter inside the squad.
    1) if you move you have same range as bp
    2) If you rapid fire your bolters you can not charge
    3) You lose extra attack for each bolter
    4) If I am that close I rather do a bp shot and charge
    Now I have no problem in having some squads with bolters and some squad with bp/ccw but not both in same squad

bonekrusher

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by C'Tan Pooky
    I've got one squad put together with boltguns. The plan was to have then cruise around in a Rhino and blast an enemy before another Rhino full of CCW marines charged to finish off what was left. There would be a PF in the boltgun squad incase they were counter-charged by another enemy unit. Is this a sound plan?
    No, because you're placing your men in those rolling coffins known as Rhinos. These days placing your men in a rhino is signing their deathwarrant, the turn they wil spend pinned when their vehicle is inevitably destroyed (due to lack of armour) is a killer. However a drop pod which is 20 points cheaper than a rhino guarrantee your getting your men down safely on the board and hopefully will land somewhere near the enemy.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast