Grenadiers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grenadiers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grenadiers

I have always used grenadiers in my army and they've worked moderately well. But I think I may have just talked myself out of using them ever again...

Are Grenadiers worth taking?

Last edited by Korim Trucebane; June 6th, 2006 at 17:55.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

The big mistake most people make with Grenadiers is to use them like they were Space Marines, and not having enough HW fire-support in the background to support Grenadiers. They are not Space Marines!

They are a usefull tool in a Mechanized or Tank Heavy force for capturing objectives, taking out infiltrators, plugging holes in lines, mobile firebase, flanking etc. They should never be used to go "up the gut" of the enemy and you should always have HW squads, Veterans or Sentinals giving them fire-support.

Grenadiers are one style of Guard that works when played right, but remember are still guardsmen and not the only effective way to play guard.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Diggums Hammer; June 7th, 2006 at 01:24.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use 3x 9 men Grenadiers in my 2000 pnts army.

Backed up by a solid Long Range Fire Base, they are one of the best units in my army, they have finished Daemon Princes, Wraithlord, Terminators and Dreads, and Leman Russes (on the side) :yes:

I can´t see me playing without them anymore.

They carry 2 plasmaguns, the Hellguns are EXCELENT against eldar, ork and nids.

I use 1 troop on each flank, and one in the middlefield, making the front line. They all advance, backed up by 2 sentinels and all the rest shooting at 48", when they get at 12" from anything, you bet that those 4 plasma shots are going to make a diference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

Grenadiers have there uses like 2 plasma guns for MEQ killing and claming objectives but if
    you take a hole army of them your not playing to the guards good points which is massed
    heavys and tanks pounding the s*** out of the enamy

the only good think about them is that you can take 3 vet squads if your doing a elite army as
    a lot of you seem to like doing

a pitty really as i like storm troopers but stick to line squads as there the better choice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pretty bad when a so called "elite" option can be beaten by the basic troop choice in a lot of ways....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

assuming that they are used correctly and you have enough armour and heavy support to back it up they can be extremely effective and slicing away at yuor opponents army. the imperial guard may be the hammer of the emperor but elite guard are the scalpel
    Where there's a will there's a weapon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I do however think that either:

Stormies/Grenadiers: Be lowered to 9pts each or have Hellguns U/G to S4, or give them WS4. It would follow logically that if they could be trained to have BS4, they could be trained to have WS4.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

definately! does GW hate imperial guard or something
    Where there's a will there's a weapon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, though I don't necessarily disagree with you diggum's I think that Fluff wise its actually easier to augment training so as to reach BS4 than it is to augment dexterity and agility to achieve WS4

But really do agree with you on Hell guns.

But no grenadiers suck and no for the 1000th time I'm not going to explain why again.
    Fifth Edition Saved 40k for Me. I love my ratlings and my cover saves!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a single squad of stormtroopers in my army to do special things like objectives or to simply die first.

I think with any of the "elite" choices if you're going to send them out don't put them in a position they can't be supported by your heavy guns. If your big guns can grind down an enemy squad the stormtrooper can be a good finisher I've noticed. But, if they're going toe to toe with something they aren't coming out alive for the most part.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast