How to properly play a Witch Hunter - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

How to properly play a Witch Hunter

Sadly, I havent win one game while playing WH against my friend's shooty army. (note, they dont normally play them this way, they only do that when they see me playing my WH)

SM with whirlwind, predator, dreadnaught, 5 tact marine w/ lascannon and a squad of tac marine led by a librarian using drop pod.

Chaos with the exact same play style except there is no dreadnaught and whirlwind.. instead they are replaced with havoc squad auto cannons + a S6 T6 I5 flying demon prince equipped with weapon that ignores invulnerable save (monstrous creature ignores armor saves too, so no saves allowed.. not to mention he attacks first).

IG with.. well, lots of tanks and table full of hvy weaponry.

I always get frustrated when they do full shooting army that leap frogs BACKWARDS towards the table edge while taking shots at my slow advancing army (after rhino gets destroyed/immob on the 1st turn). My friends are calling me a noob WH player, saying I dont know a thing about WH and I should just give up playing/collecting to save some money for my Tau. :cry:

I need some advices please How do you guys play your WH? My friend is giving me the idea that I should be playing WH like Tyranid -- full table march every turn, and disregard any sacrifices necessary... is that true how WH should be played?

Anima Tactics - try it out!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

What kind of list do you play? are these still 1000pt games? when you know your next game, post up your list beforehand and myself, red, and a few others will pack you w/ so much info your head will explode!

But as for me..... i play a mechanized army, w/ 4 rhino sob squads, 2 exorcists, retributors, 2 jp canoness' and 2 squads of seraphim. then lately ive been shaving off points and including a inquisitor and a vinidicare or callidus.

Generally speaking, i set all my tactics when deploying. first thing to go down is always the retributors, with as clear a firing lane as possible. i deploy my exorcists behind cover, as they can roll out and still shoot. i set my rhino squad w/ 2 meltas in the direction of his heaviest concentration of armour, then the other three as close as possible to his main troop concentration. then i have a canoness near each squad of seraphim, usually my eviscerator canoness with a beeline for his HQ's,

then when the game comes along, i use a double team effort. i roll out the exorcists, giving one an armour target and the other with LOS to the sam tank and a different target just in case the other one cant do the job. Then as usual, all 4 rhino's rush up and pop smoke, with the seraphim giving chase.

then when turn 2 comes, i rush up again and perform the rush and dump tactic, but i also have a seraphim squad following behind. then i set them on opposite sides of a squad. the infantry squad then fires first, then the seraphim follow up. if there is anything left, then the seraphim assault and tie them up. note that next turn he has to pile in towards the serpahim, moving him far away from the infantry squad right in front of him. then i do hit and run at the end of the assault, and now his 3" consolidationis not enough to reach the squad of troops, and i can duely finish him off in the next volley of fire.

thats my own variation of the rush and dump, probably the most complicated tactic in my army. :p

But for, go to the army list section, and post your opponent's SM list, chaos list, and IG lists in seperate threads, also post what models you have and we'll help you make a list for each of those armies.
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by nekochen
    My friend is giving me the idea that I should be playing WH like Tyranid -- full table march every turn, and disregard any sacrifices necessary... is that true how WH should be played?
    this is the SoB horde style, very rare due to the cost of so many models. i personally have never seen it or tried it, so i dont know how effective it is.
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

110 (x4)

Thanks for the replies.. and yes, we are still playing 1000 pt game (not because we dont have models for 1500pt but we are trying to perfect the use of each unit before moving onto bigger game.. and so far, only me have been failing to recognise the strengh of WH )

These are the lists of my previous game against my SM friend.

My WH:
    HQ
    Canoness + Jump pack + Blessed Weapon + Bolt Pistol + Cloak of St.Aspira + Book of St.Lucius + Melta bomb
    Troop
    Battle Sisters x 10 + VSS + Power Weapon + Flamer + Hvy Flamer, Mounted in Rhino w/ Extra armor + Smoke Launcher
    Battle Sisters x 10 + VSS + Power Weapon + Flamer + Hvy Flamer, Mounted in Rhino w/ Extra armor + Smoke Launcher
    Fast Attack
    Seraphim x 8 + VSS + Eviscerator + Inferno Pistol + Flamer Pistol
    Seraphim x 6 + VSS + Eviscerator + 2 Flamer Pistols

My friend's SM
    HQ
    Librarian Epistolary w/ Force Weapon + Bolt Pistol + Fear of Darkness (psychic) + Vortex of Doom (psychic) *Joined squad with the 9-men SM Tactical mounted in Drop pod*
    Elite
    Dreadnaught w/ Twin-link Lascannon + Missile Launcher
    Troop
    SM Tactical x 5 w/ Sergeant + Terminator Honour + Power Weapon (makes him S5) + Lascannon
    SM Tactical x 9 w/ Sergeant + Terminator Honour + Power Weapon + Melta Gun, mounted in Drop Pod *Joined squad with Librarian Epistolary*
    Fast Attack
    Jump Assault x 8 w/ Sergeant + Terminator Honour + Power Weapon
    Heavy Support
    Whirlwind (indirect fire)
    Predator w/ Twin-link Lascannon (main turret), 2 x Heavy Bolters (sponson turrets)

--------------

The game started with the dices in my favor, I rolled to go first as both of my Rhinos zoom forward 12", parked horizontally with the side armours facing my friend (smoke popped). My Seraphims jumped 12" close up behind my Rhino as it blocks LoS to everything else. My friend missed or failed to destroy my Rhinos on Turn 1 which makes me even happier.

Turn 2, I moved my Rhinos further 12" up to my friend then spung the vehicle with Rear armor facing him, so my Sisters can jump out of the vehicle buying that extra 2" to 3" of distance. Seraphims jump close in behind the Rhinos once again... this puts my army within 20" of my friend who deployed his army touching the table edge. My friend finally managed to destroy both of my Rhinos, and put some serious hurt on my 6 Seraphim squad with his Whirlwind (this is when my dice started to fail me). His drop pod arrived as he rolled a 5, and landed right next to my left flank, next to my disembarked squad of sisters and my other seraphim squad. Vortex of Doom failed to kill any of my Seraphim, but his massive spam of rapid fire bolter cut down my 8 Seraphims down to 4.. :cry:

Turn 3, I charged my remaining Seraphims into the HQ squad who just recently popped out of the smoking Drop pod (damn drop pods). To my friend's surprise, my Seraphim wiped 50% of his squad while only losing 1 model themself. I moved my right flank Sister squad with the remaining Seraphim (from the whirlwind bombardment) forward 6" behind cover from a fortified bunker... thus my turn ended.

To make the paragraph short.. my right flank was stucked behind the bunker for the rest of the game because my friend was moving his troops to the left table corner.. that put them at least 16" apart. I was too afraid to move my remaining 2 squads out into the open so the game ended with me only being able to kill 5 SM tact squad who dropped out of the sky with a dumb HQ... sigh. :wacko:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

- Shooty armies will usually trump a balanced WH Army.
    - The "Russian attack" style (which you call the Nid March) is never adviseable for WH, because they are all toughness 3. And that is a disadvantage.
    Treat each member of your army as though they are your own children.

It sounds like you want to a build a grudge army.
    Jolly good. Vengance always delights me.

For starters, this link below is a cool and unique idea to disrupt a shooty army.
    You will need at least 6 DCAs.
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ins-setup.html

I usually play taylored armies. For shooty opponents, I divide shooty armies into two categories: Toughness3 and Toughness4.

Toughness3 shooters is a fairly fun and easy win, if you know ahead of time that is who you are facing.
    First rule is go light on the special weapons, and heavy on the Seraphim. Basicly let the statline of the jumpers win the game for you. 2-3 Squads of Seraphim, 2 Jumping Cannonesses, 1-2 squads of 8 member, no-vet HB Retributors. (I don't take an Exorcist). The plan is simple: get the jumpers onto the enemy side asap, and reduce as many enemy squads as possible to below scoring status.

It's an easy win so long as you do not rush headlong into a barrage of enemy fire. I like to take a Litanies of Faith to pass SOtM on a Large Squad for when I go into a lot of AP3 shooting. Be patient in your advance. The whole game can be won in 2 turns, perfereably on turn 4 & 5. You should not overtool the jumpers with too many expensive weapons, but you should have at least 2 Evis and 2 Inferno amongst the jumpers for tank killing, because the jumpers will reach his tanks. The rest of your army (non-jumpers) should be cheap scoring units.

I find Toughness4 shooters to be much harder.
    The basic plan is to shoot back. 2 Exorcists can pair up and eliminate enemy tanks. 1 Squad of HB Retributors. 1 Inquisitor with 3 HB Servitors. 1 Callidus. That is a great core of shootyness. With your leftover points, you should strive to create a maximum number of cheap, mobile, scoring units.
    For Troop Slots, I'd be tempted to abandon SOBs and take two squads of 6 ISTs each mounted in a Chimera. And it would not be a bad idea to take 1 set of 10 Celestians with a single Heavy Bolter, and string them out as a first line of defense. You are now extremely shooty, and the No-Vet Celestians are like barbed-wire. They are much more resilient in CC than SOBs when they're charged. Celestians excel at defense. They would be well-advised to have a Book of St Lucius in the squad or near it to hold the line.
    Sisters Repentia: Wow what beautiful models! Wow what terrible rules! -stjohn70

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

Librarian Epistolary w/ Force Weapon + Bolt Pistol + Fear of Darkness (psychic) + Vortex of Doom (psychic) *Joined squad with the 9-men SM Tactical mounted in Drop pod*
    This is IILEGAL! You can not put a librarian inside a drop pod before the game starts unless it is a command squad. read the rules for IC joining units. it says they join at the beggining of the movement phase. if you are still even unsure pop over to the SM section and check w/ them, but either case this is illegal.

Elite
    Dreadnaught w/ Twin-link Lascannon + Missile Launcher
    This probably your biggest AT threat, but dreads fall quick to exorcists.

Troop

SM Tactical x 5 w/ Sergeant + Terminator Honour + Power Weapon (makes him S5) + Lascannon
    Whats up w/ this guy... this is also IILEGAL. SM have no equipment to add +1 to a models strength, unless he has furious charge on them so even then he would only have S5 on the charge.

SM Tactical x 9 w/ Sergeant + Terminator Honour + Power Weapon + Melta Gun, mounted in Drop Pod *Joined squad with Librarian Epistolary*
    this will do a lot of double tap damage, but after that they will be grouped together.... perfect for a template.

Fast Attack
    Jump Assault x 8 w/ Sergeant + Terminator Honour + Power Weapon
    Easiest way to deal with these is to ignore them, leave him with a no man's land (over 18" space between you and this squad. as soon as he jumps it, light him up!

Whirlwind (indirect fire)
    This isnt really much of a threat, but the minefields could be dangerous. remember.... if he does use a minefield and it lands on you, it does NOT blow up. YOU have to move to detonate it.
    Predator w/ Twin-link Lascannon (main turret), 2 x Heavy Bolters (sponson turrets)
    I would call this number 2 threat.

Basically, he doesnt have a lot on the field while the drop pod is in reserve.... during that time 2 exorcists should be able to deal with armour.

...this puts my army within 20" of my friend
    WHOA WHOA WAIT UP! how big is this table? you should only be playing with a 24" GAP TO START WITH! No wonder why you cant win if you're starting so far apart.

Standard table.... 15" deployment zones, 24" seperating each other, 5 or 6 feet wide

I'll help you build a list later... i have to go to work :p
    Last edited by gen.nehring; June 9th, 2006 at 23:32.
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Second Company Apothecary SentryKiller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by gen.nehring
    This is IILEGAL! You can not put a librarian inside a drop pod before the game starts unless it is a command squad. read the rules for IC joining units. it says they join at the beggining of the movement phase. if you are still even unsure pop over to the SM section and check w/ them, but either case this is illegal.
    Per the SM codex, the command squad can be sgt + 4-9 marines. So, gen. nehring is right that the Librarian can't join the squad, but the drop pod is still legal if the squad is actually called a command squad instead of just a "joined" tac squad. Mostly semantics, but good to know. This should assume, of course, that the Librarian can't unjoin the squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

110 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by gen.nehring
    WHOA WHOA WAIT UP! how big is this table? you should only be playing with a 24" GAP TO START WITH! No wonder why you cant win if you're starting so far apart.
    Actually, he has been leap frogging backwards toward the other end of the table corner while I advance.. that is why when I move 12", he moves back 6".. leaving 6".. when my Rhino blows up.. that's the distance I can never cover up again due to the fact my troops can only move 6" .. so can he :wacko:

He's saying he totally grasped the weakness of WH army, so shooting while running back every turn will reduce my army down below 50% by the time I reach him.. If I could reach him at all.

I am about to play him again in an hour... I am going to try the Tyranid's approach :tongue: Foot sloggers (gaunts) + 2 exorcists for range support (carnifax w/ barbed strangler)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

The right Witch Hunter List could beat him with a 10% points handicapp, maybe even more.

I'd just outshoot him.
    The Exorcist is one of the best tank values in the game. Take two.
    You can also get a lot of heavy bolters in the mix with Rets + INquisitor Gun Servitors.
    Even your troops can be ISTs with Chimeras, shooting 6 Str6/5 shots 36".
    I'd even set up a front line of Celestians with a HB.

That's a LOAD of shooting.
    Last edited by Red Zinfandel; June 10th, 2006 at 02:33.
    Sisters Repentia: Wow what beautiful models! Wow what terrible rules! -stjohn70

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

110 (x4)

Ohh that's right.. I'll take that into my next fight :yes:
    As for my earlier fight, I lost the game by a small margin but I would have won if I didnt rolled a 1, 2 on my HQ's armor save (She could've hacked right through those 2 marines with evicerators then consolidated into a nearby predator on my friend's turn). My exorcist tried to do its last hit or nothing on turn 6 end against a predator's side armor through Wood Terrain.. but I rolled a 1 and immoblized myself thus I couldnt get the LoS... plus Immoblized counts 1/2 victory point.... *CRRYYYY* :cry: :cry: Overall, my zerg list against him did work out okay except those issues which I would have never expected that caused my downfall.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast