Daemonhunters and Newbies... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daemonhunters and Newbies...

Good combo? Tragedy waiting to happen? I'm new to the game and in reviewing all I could find on the different armies of the WH world, I settled on the Daemonhunters because I like the look of the models. It was either that, or Space Marines, but I knew that everyone in the world used Space Marines and, despite their reputation as being a great all-around army, I just couldn't settle for "common." Anyway, I'm still a little confused about how the DH fit into the whole scheme of things (they are part of the Inquisition? But what is that? And are they Space Marines, too, or what?), but mostly right now I'm curious to find out if the DH army is, in fact, a fine army for a complete novice. As far as my interest in the game, I was initially drawn to it because of the modelling aspect...I just wanted to have something to DO with the models when they were done. So the gaming aspect of it is certainly important, but I'm more interested in painting a really swell army, even if it takes me a year or more, than slapping some mediocre models on the table just so I can play. Any advice from the ether? Sorry if I'm breaking any newbie rules of conduct. If so, please point them out to me and I'm happy to adhere. Thanks everyone.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

First off, welcome to LO!

Anyway, I'm still a little confused about how the DH fit into the whole scheme of things (they are part of the Inquisition? But what is that? And are they Space Marines, too, or what?)
    The Daemonhunters, also known as the Ordo Malleus (Order of the Hammer) are one branch of the Inquisition. The Inquisition is just what it sounds like - a semi-secret and all-powerful group that polices the Imperium with the intent of rooting out heresy, Daemons, and aliens. The Daemonhunters are, as you may have guessed, the branch that deals with combating Daemons directly. They also are tasked with watching over the other branches of the Inquisition to try and spot Warp corruption in other Inquisitors.

The Grey Knights are a secret Chapter of Space Marines created to battle Daemons directly. The Marines are one of the military branches of the Imperium, and are basically independent of the other military branches. The GK are known only to a few higher ups - their work is too dangerous for common minds to be aware of without risk of corruption! While they are a full Chapter on their own, they work closely with the Ordo Malleus. In fact, they are called the Chamber Militant of the Malleus - the military arm of the Daemonhunters, basically. The Inquisitors of the Malleus have little direct authority over the Grey Knights, but the two groups have a complementary relationship. Compared to regular Marines, GK are the elite - more rigid training, much better equipment, and to top it all off, every GK is a fairly powerful psyker.

The other major branches of the Inquisition are the Ordo Hereticus (Witch Hunters) and the Ordo Xenos (Alien Hunters). The Hereticus' Chamber Militant are the Sisters of Battle, while the Xenos' Chamber Militant are the Deathwatch Killteams composed of veteran Space Marines taken from across all of the Chapters.

but mostly right now I'm curious to find out if the DH army is, in fact, a fine army for a complete novice.
    Well, there are no real *bad* armies for newbies. But DH aren't the easiest army, no. You'll probably have more losses when you start out than if you were with another army - but thats purely because the DH list is so varied and requires so much finesse. They were my first full army as well, and I managed fine. And I know there are others on this board that started with DH as well. The best advice I can give concerning choosing an army is appearance - you're gonna be painting a heck of a lot of models, so choose the ones you like!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I know there are others on this board that started with DH as well.
    Yup, narrowly dodged the witch hunters...But its a great army that has lots of variation "full spectrum of the Imperial War Machine" or something like that. And chances are, with all our kickass models, your army will look better than your oppenents which is pretty satisfying.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Superface40k
    As far as my interest in the game, I was initially drawn to it because of the modelling aspect...I just wanted to have something to DO with the models when they were done. So the gaming aspect of it is certainly important, but I'm more interested in painting a really swell army, even if it takes me a year or more, than slapping some mediocre models on the table just so I can play.
    Heh. A man after my own heart. That's what got my attention, and now I'm hooked on the game, too. I play SM, and am planning to build DH as a second army now. They strike me as exactly what the fluff says they are: super space marines. If you're looking for something space marine-esque but very unique, you've found it.

Just using Grey Knight and Grey Knight terminators alone will give you some fun models to play with, but if you buy the DH codex you'll get lots of suggestions for really fun directions your modeling can take when/if you build an inquisitor, retinue, and assassins. Suffice it to say, when you build them, or even a Grey Knight hero, you will get a lot more "oohs" and "aahs" from your fellow players if you do NOT stick with the out-of-the-box-or-blister models. Fun place to experiment, if that's your thing.

But that's another reason newbies shy away, I think. Looks a little too challenging, and you're bound to goof it up here and there along the way, like the previous post said, but if you're ok with that, you may find youself liking it. I'm loving DH more and more every time I look at the codex. I have one (yeah, just one) lonely little GK terminator I bought in a blister. Painting him is gonna be F-U-N and I can't WAIT to get me a hero and two more GKT for his retinue! Then I need a few GK squads, an IST crew with a Chimera, and... and... and... :w00t:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that GK's are that hard, they have a fairly easy style of play: Blow 'em to the eye of terror (literally!) with Sbolters then charge in with the nemesis'. I think that the problem would come with expanding the core army: If you go space marines you lose GK's (which is way I never go SM), if you go guard then you have to make sure you take advantage of every little tidbit, IE make sure every squad has a heavy weapon. If you expand DH armies you need to be sure to get anti armor, so you can get a dreadnaught or a Land Raider. The core army is simple, the advanced gets complicated. I <3 it.
    Though unnumbered lurking perils await us, our blades will ever be ready.
    FOR WE ARE THE EMPEROR'S VENGEANCE!

Senior Member JuliusGaiusCaesar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DH list isn't neccessarily a good or bad beginner army. There are some armies certainly that are better for beginners than DH, but there are also a few that aren't. One major advantage that DH have over other armies for beginners isthat they have one of the lowest mdel counts. You don't need to paint very many guys to fill an army, so your force can be started relatively easily. I started DH as my first army, and haven't done that bad with them. I've lost every battle against my friends Blood Angels(except 1), but against other people, I have a generally average record.
    Et imperator Invocato Diabolus Daemonica Exorcist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The daemonhunters are a fairly difficult army to do well with, but they aqre not hard to play if you know what I mean. The grey knights are elite space marines used for fighting daemons. they are an essential aprt of the inquisition when normal inquisitors need help.
    The gold grey knight man. These are hardy men who like cheese.

Ever thought of how cheese was found?:
    Brother captain
    `` I say sah, the milk in this barrel smells foul!``

Grand master:
    ``Oooohhh, give it a go!``

''Quack, damn you!''
    -Jamie heinamen, Mythbusters.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Welcome to LO and the DH! I agree that the models just look fantastic, and that's what attracted me to them, too. When completed, GKs, GK Terminators, dreadnoughts, and even ISTs just look fantastic! This is definitely an army that looks good. And, as others have noted, because your model count is lower, you won't [necessarily] have to spend that much time painting them.

As for play style, it's different in A Good Way. GKs are smashmouth units, but because you have so few of them, you have to deploy their strength with finesse and intelligence. Inquisitors and assassins are really flavorful, fun units to paint and employ. It takes some practice to get everything to work well together, but when you figure it out, you'll be amazed at how effective only a few units are at wiping enemies off the board.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

You can always say: "I'll win the beauty contest with my army, but if it wins this match?"
    Daemon Hunters are quite a difficult army, because it doesn't take mistakes quite well. You're units can die just as easy as the common Space Marine, but a Grey Knigt does kick more ass than a commen Space Marine, both in game as in beauty. You just need to be able to paint them nice and that will almost winn you the contest :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've finished reading the rule bible, and now I'm ready to get out and get my Daemonhunters codex! Sounds like that's a great army to go with for what I'm looking for. Plus I like the idea of working for "the man", bringing the hammer down, as it were, on all the scum and villainy of the universe. Just in case the codex doesn't answer this question, if the Ordo Malleus is part of the inquisition, does that mean that a DH army can utilize other forces from the Inquisition, like Witchhunters and Imperial Guard, etc?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast