Starting Space Marine Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Starting Space Marine Army

Hey guys,

Im writing this to ask for some advice. I'm thinking aobut buying some Space Marine minatures to assemble and paint, but probably not actually fight with them. I just want to assemble a small army just for display purpose only (they look so bad-ass :ninja. So I was wondering what you guys recomend I buy bearing in mind that I don't actually intend on useing them, so don't worry about pts. and all that technical stuff.

Thanks for your time!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

I would really recomend you try a game out for fun. Marines that look great are terminators, assault squads, tactical marines, a chaplain, a predator tank, and a land raider tank. This gives you the normal marine, guys with jump packs, marines decked out in heavy armor, and a wicked looking skull faced leader, and 2 tanks. This is a good variety of models and won't feel monotonous when painting them, plus they are the coolest models in the space marine range!

Is there a specific army you wan't to paint/collect, like the Blood angels or Space wolves? Or do you wan't to do a generic chapter that you created yourself? The reason I'm asking is that if you do one of the main chapters that GW has there are different models you can buy than the ones I listed.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

If your looking for impressive display pieces then may I suggest a fully tooled command squad. Convert them in any way you want, paint them up well and they can look absolutely stunning. Also, as your not planning on using them in game you could tool them up however you wish to look uber-hard.

Other very good looking units (IMO) include:

- Techmarine with servo-harness
    - The Forgeworld Venerable dreadnoughts
    - The Mark 2 pre-heresy land raider (I WILL own one of these one day)
    - Veteran squads - lots of conversion oppertunites, and can be tooled up pretty neatly
    - Termies
    - Termie Chaplain

Just my 2 cents. Have a good look at the SM range and get the things that appeal to you; never fails for display pieces. Good luck mate, post pics when you've finish

Hope this helps

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

RE: Starting Space Marine Army

Thanks for your help guys. I think that I'm going to buy a Command Squad, Tactical Marine Squad, Terminator Chaplain and the 40k Starter Paint set. Hopefully there not to much of a headache to paint as I'm not exactly a pro . As for the army choice, I think I might stick with the classic Ultramarine's scheme. I've always liked the colours and the fluff surrounding the chapter is really quite interesting. But please keep on posting suggestions for future use!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait just a sec before going to the store, one other set I would highly recomend for painting only is the Ultramarines Honour Guard with Marneus Calgar, a metal set that blows my mind when painted and all together, they are awesome. You can check them out a the GW online store, and probably their website.
    "Thousand Sons! Fight in the Emperor's name!"

W/D/L
    DA :8/5/7 Eldar:3/3/5 1KSons:3/1/2

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x6)

For display only? Use these:
    • Command Sqaud Box (Your stunning leaders, giant flag included)
    • Games workshop has released a Venerable Dreadnaught boxed set in White Dwarf ecently, order one of them in. (Nothing says "I'm awesome" better than a mech in your army)
    • 2 Tactical Sqauds (about 20 grunts fleshes out the army nicely, making it look fuller, also makes your army legal if you choose to game)
    • about 3 blisters of Sniper Scouts (SNIPERS!!!)
    • The Predator tank (can be made to be like a normal tank, or to be an uber death looking beast, also a bit 'o' armour never hurt anyone)
    • GET THAT CHAPPIE! I have one and he rules. Just beware the useless tab and rod attached to his feet.
    • Land Raider (if you want, get the Crusader - it comes with parts for both.)
    • Assault Marines (awesome jump packs built onto them)
    You can get more, but those are my reccomendations. This will cost you about $414AU Plus paints, primer and glue. If your pocket can stand it, go for it.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

116 (x5)

about 3 blisters of Sniper Scouts (SNIPERS!!!)
    Why get the blisters when the new plastic set is coming out? If your painting ultramarines might I suggest the ultramarine tyranic war veterans, and Marneus calgar and honor guard like nderDarkLord said.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x6)

Hell yeah. Get Tigurus too. He's awesome.

Possibly an Emp Champ?
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Bane, avoid the starter paint sets. Last time i looked they contained plastic space marines that are ten years out of date, all in one pose with no chance to convert. You wont need all the paints in the kit either.

I collect for display rather than gaming too, been at it since my lad was little. Now there's about a hundred and forty painted footslogger marines in my cabinet, plus all the various tanks, bikes, and speeders. They dont look too bad.

If you can stretch to the expense, get the chapter speciffic shoulder pads from GW, the ultramarine transfers are a ***** to fit. Good luck with your army.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Thanks for all the help guys.

I really like alot of these special character models but unfortunately there a bit pricey for me (14 years old...) Maybe once I get some cash I can get them but for now there out of my league. Besides, there's no way in hell I could paint them any justice! So I think i'm going to start of simple with just a Tactical Marine Squad and a Chaplain in Terminator armor. After i'm finished with those I think i'm going to buy a squad of Terminators and a Dreadnought. I was also wondering is this army legitiment in an actuall game because the more I think about collecting an army the more I want to play with it!

On another note, I understand that the starter paint set is $30 (Canadian), so do you think I should just buy the nesesary Ultramarine's paints (Ultramarine's blue, skull White, Golden Yellow, Blood Red, Boltgun Metal, Chaos Black, Fiery Orange, Bad Moon Yellow, Shadow Grey and Dark Angels Green) plus some brushes and glues?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Bane; June 14th, 2006 at 03:36.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast