Special Characters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Special Characters

I notice, after reading a good many army lists, that few of our fellow guardsmen take special characters along with them. I understand that IG is mostly built around infantry, tanks, and heavy weapons, but still, why no special characters?

(This is sort of a secondary question, but when I was looking through my IG collection, I noticed I had an eversor assasisn and Cypher. Should I add these to my army, or are they rubbish.)

Chuck Norris wouldn't stand a chance against Tana Umaga.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by clwacdc
    I notice, after reading a good many army lists, that few of our fellow guardsmen take special characters along with them. I understand that IG is mostly built around infantry, tanks, and heavy weapons, but still, why no special characters?
    Precisely because the Guard is about bodies, guns and tanks, which is to say that our speciality is having so much of the same.

If you have a special character it will invariably be more powerful than a standard squad and therefore be a fire magnet from the off because it will stick out. Same thing happens if you have just 1 tank or 1 sentinel or 1 of anything.

Special characters are about having quality, for the Guard: Quantity IS Quality

(Which isn't to say there can't be a place for characters, but if you do, then have two, force the opponent to choose )

Last edited by vorlon; June 14th, 2006 at 01:02.
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of characters actually, I found an ollllllllllllllllld Commissioner Yarick the other day in my box of odds and ends! I remember I got it off a kid in primary school. Still...is not saveable, missing body parts etc and i havnt bought a new one yet.

But on the subject, i was looking through my Warhammer 2nd Ed Rulebook, and saw the Yarick model in there! It looks lyk he has a tyranid crushing claw on his arm! Has anyone else seen it?

Better still, does anyone one own one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The old one has a lobster claw kind of thing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, and IMO looks more like a Tyranid crushing claw than anything else. But then alot has changed since then...esp. the nid's themselves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You say a special character would be a fire magnet...wouldn't that be a GOOD thing? I mean, it would protect your normal grunts for one or two more turns. Also, if you just had two special character, wouldn't they both be fire magnets (as opposed to the enemy just choosing one to shoot at.)

I also notice that with Cypher in your army, you can include a squad of fallen angels (chaos space marine squad). Would this be suggested.
    Chuck Norris wouldn't stand a chance against Tana Umaga.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Special Characters arnt invicible though. If u have a whole army shooting at you then im pretty sure something bad will happen, no matter how strong you are.

Although i see what you are saying...this would give u time to move your other units position. Is it worth the point cost though?

Interesting idea though, which I might try one day. Would be no gud in smaller point games though.

EDIT: As i start to think about it more...i realized why it wouldnt be that good an idea. I mean, for the points it costs for Yarick, wouldnt you want to "distract" the enemy more with say, another 20 troops or say an armoured fist squad? I mean, 20 lasgun shots, or 40 when rapid fire, is a much better alternative i think, and much more likely to gain back their point values!
    Last edited by SquishyB; June 14th, 2006 at 02:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only special characters worth the points are IMO colonel schaeffers last chancers.
    if equippted in the right way (e.g. not spending a fortune of points on them) they can deal out alot of damage.

however, i don't like to rely on my opponents permission to field something, so i don't take special characters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

doh!
    Last edited by vorlon; June 14th, 2006 at 14:55.
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by clwacdc
    You say a special character would be a fire magnet...wouldn't that be a GOOD thing?
    Not if they kill him - no

... Also, if you just had two special character, wouldn't they both be fire magnets (as opposed to the enemy just choosing one to shoot at.)
    But each one only has to face half the fire.

It's the same with tanks

1 tank, the enemy has a target, 2 tanks the enemy has a decision, 3 tanks the enemy has a nightmare.

I also notice that with Cypher in your army, you can include a squad of fallen angels (chaos space marine squad). Would this be suggested.

I don't think you can take Cypher and Chaos Marines in an IG Army?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast