Librarium Online Forums banner

Experiences with venerable Dreads?

1K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  IronFather0 
#1 ·
I am looking at fielding a drop pod army in the near future, and I am considering having a couple of Venerable Dreads in Drop pods with Assault cannons, and heavyflamer. I am also considering taking either tank hunters or furious charge. Been playing for about 4 years now, but I have never really had the opportunity for fielding Dreads that are venerable. So I would like some feedback on people's experiences with them, and whether or not the extra points costs are worth it.

#6 ·
Brother-Librarian Franksi said:
only one dread can be venerable per Force Org Chart so you can't have 'a couple of venerable dreads', only one.
Heed the wisdom of the ancients?

Andrew.

#8 ·
I must say, (and some people may find this unsporting) that the best use of Venerable I have yet seen is when I had my Dreadnought Assaulted by 2 Squads of Genestealers and some gaunts. The Genies caused 4 pens, I was dead venerable or not so I forced re-rolls to get a 6 causing an explosion which took 7 Genestealers and 5 gaunts with me.

Venerable, better at exploding when you want it to, must come with the battle experiance.

#9 ·
Silver Wings said:
I must say, (and some people may find this unsporting) that the best use of Venerable I have yet seen is when I had my Dreadnought Assaulted by 2 Squads of Genestealers and some gaunts. The Genies caused 4 pens, I was dead venerable or not so I forced re-rolls to get a 6 causing an explosion which took 7 Genestealers and 5 gaunts with me.

Venerable, better at exploding when you want it to, must come with the battle experiance.
LOL! that is genius, and is great b/c one of my opponenents is a nid player. Also have an Orks player to.

#11 ·
I'd give you a cookie wings, but I have to spread some rep around...

That's a good back up system for a shooty venerable dread... if you get assaulted, you're not going to do much more anyway, so blow up as many baddies in the proccess.

I find furious charge to be a waste for a dreadnought, because most of the things that can destroy it are initiative 1 and you don't get a strength bonus anyway.

As for me, I only use venerable when I want my dread to be shooty. S10 lascannon, gimme!

#12 ·
Ezekiel1990 said:
I'd give you a cookie wings, but I have to spread some rep around...

That's a good back up system for a shooty venerable dread... if you get assaulted, you're not going to do much more anyway, so blow up as many baddies in the proccess.

I find furious charge to be a waste for a dreadnought, because most of the things that can destroy it are initiative 1 and you don't get a strength bonus anyway.

As for me, I only use venerable when I want my dread to be shooty. S10 lascannon, gimme!
Yea, I can understand not really needing to take Furious Charge, but one of my opponents I play is a DH player therefore his Strength 6 weapons can do some damage. I figured if I can go at I 5 than I might be able to kill a few Termies before they can strike back particularly targeting the GM and getting an instant Kill. Lighting them up with a heavy flamer and assault Cannon before I charge makes it all that much sweeter. I figured two of these bad boys should do the trick in case I lose one of them to a bad drop or to fire. Still I am considering not taking any type of skill and just being happy with the venerable bit. Less waste of a points sink.

#13 ·
The skill you get, along with the ability to force your opponent to reroll damage results can be a great asset! For a little more than the points of another Marine, you can make your Dread deadlier AND more survivable! If you think about it points wise it is cheaper than a Fist, Lightning Claw, Articifer Armour or Thunder Hammer would be on a character so why the heck wouldnt you take it if you have a couple points to throw around!

Best of Luck,
BoS

#14 ·
Venerable, tank hunters, lascannon, missle launcher. Only way to go venerable IMO...
Furious charge SUCKS! You can't go above ten str. so thats 50% of the bonus gone, and +1 I isn't that great either...I mean most people in CC that can actually hurt u will have powerfists (or other race-equivalents), which strikes at I 1 soooo....

Whereas Tank hunter lets us get +1 to penatrate! Couple that w/twin-linked lascannon and missle launcher and u have some seriously needed firepower for a drop pod army, especially considering how they can't use preds and the like....and being a walker, he can move 6' and fire ALL his weapons...

Cheers,
The god of all machines

#15 ·
Venerable drop podded with tank hunter and a multi melta. Pure overkill, pure dead tankery.

#17 ·
Isn't it though? Hehe. Nothing says love like that bad boy dropping down and saying hi. Almost guaranteed to make you opponent soil themselves.

#18 ·
Chaplain Grimm said:
Venerable drop podded with tank hunter and a multi melta. Pure overkill, pure dead tankery.
Now imagine 3 of them :shifty::w00t::shifty:

#21 ·
it's a great idea! you can drop pod into the middle of the enemy army, unleash on them, and force them to re-roll any damange the dread may take in retaliation. even if it does die, it diverts attention away from the rest of your army. which also reminds me, being an experienced player yourself would know, it won't be the trick to win the game, so don't forget to focus on the rest of the army.

#23 ·
as an iron hands player i LOVE venerable dreadnoughts. Unfortunatley i can't play them good yet. Lol one time against an all genestealer player i prayed for 6's when blowing up. He said he's never seen someone want penny 6's more than me...lol. Oh and one time i surrounded a daemon prince with 3 drop podded dreads and took it out it one turn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.