Megabattle tactics? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Megabattle tactics?

Hey all. There's gonna be a megabattle at my local store tomorrow, and I'm curious as to what people think about tactics in such a large game. The rules are fairly simple: Each player builds a 750 point army, and then they are divided into teams. After that, the team chooses a trio of stratagems(yes, Cities of Death rules), and we fight it out

The board will be about 10' long and about 4'-5' wide crammed full of city terrain. The objective will quite likely have something to do with capturing objective counters of some sort, rather than table quarters or anything of the sort. Also, the owner LOVES to throw in all sorts of weirdness, like Deep Striking Tyranids from nowhere, Lance Strikes for no reason, and such. Basically, what kind of tactics should I use to survive such a crazy enviornment, and what kind of units should I take?

Thanks to all that answer this really odd question, lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Sounds odd but I would actually bring assault terminators. If they are left unharmed until combat, they should do well. Put them where fighting is the fiercest.

In 750 pts, no one is going to expect assault termies, and since it is a mega battle, they should do fine. They cost 215 pts for a squad of 5 with furious charge, so I'd suggest bringing a some power armour for the rest of your list, preferably with Plasmacannons / lascannons to guard the roads.

This would be good:

HQ
    Commander, combiplasma, power weapon, 95 pts

ELITES
    Terminator assault squad x5, 4x LC, 1x TH+SS, furious charge, 215 pts

TROOPS
    Tactical squad x5, lascannon, 90 pts
    Tactical squad x5, plasma cannon, 95 pts

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Land Raider, smokes, 253 pts

TOTAL: 748 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel1990
    Sounds odd but I would actually bring assault terminators. If they are left unharmed until combat, they should do well. Put them where fighting is the fiercest.

In 750 pts, no one is going to expect assault termies, and since it is a mega battle, they should do fine. They cost 215 pts for a squad of 5 with furious charge, so I'd suggest bringing a some power armour for the rest of your list, preferably with Plasmacannons / lascannons to guard the roads.

This would be good:

HQ

ELITES

TROOPS

HEAVY SUPPORT

If you are looking to catch your opponents as well as your teammates off guard:ninja: then this would be the way to go:yes:
    To the darkness I bring fire. To the ignorant I bring faith. Those who welcome these gifts may live, but I will visit naught but death and eternal damnation on those who refuse them.

Chaplain Grimaldus, Hero of Helsreach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel1990

This would be good:

HQ

ELITES

TROOPS

HEAVY SUPPORT

i would change the combiplasma to a plasma pistol so u get an extra attack and add either frag or krak grenades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i recon no one would thank a land raider will be there. it seems a bit unfair in a way but i guess if you want to win.

if i were you i would just sit back and let my firends do alllllll the fighting.... and then speed towards the objective with land speeders or something. what i mean by sit back is literally stay in your deployment zone the whole time...

so then you dont die but everyone else dose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scrap the Land Raider, too high-priority for such a huge game, it'll draw lascannon shots like a magnet and get popped by the third turn.

I have found that in large mutli-player battles, a well-placed hellfire dready can wreck havoc on just about anything. They also tend to be too low a priority of a target in mega-battles for your opponets to waste valuble resources on. Plus, they'll have to deal with your allies' assault troops before they can even think about your firesupport.

Also, landspeeders are the greatest thing ever. A basic HB+AC speeder is amazing against pretty much any army, and they are capable of working alone seperate from the overall strategy (which is hard to maintain in multi-player games).

Anyways, Good luck!
    Last edited by Captain Stormy; June 17th, 2006 at 06:18.
    3500 points Blood Pact
    1000 points Deathwatch
    3000 points Dwarfs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take some assaulty elements, but make sure you use them to counter assault after one of your teammates/suckers takes the brunt of the assault/gunfire. It is a tactic I have used in warhammer and computer games, proudly known as the 'Sacraficial Tim'.

RoV
    Beware the Agapanthers!

Codex Astartes: More a guideline than a rule...

Romans 8:38

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

One suggestion I'd make is to spread your forces across the whole table rather than just sending all of your force against the guy opposite you. This means that in some places you could be 'double teaming' against one opposition player. This means that your megabattle isn't just 3 or 4 games running side by side with no interaction.

Medical facility guarded by assault termies would be awesome - Get a FnP save for them too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have to agree with the good Brother-Librarian here. And when double teaming, though it be a bit cruel, try to double team (or triple, or whatever) either who-ever your toughest/most experienced opponent is...or perhaps the one most likely to get knocked out in a turn or two. Also agree with Rat; I try to engage enemy units with Death Company after they've already been tied up by one of my smaller assault squads or some such.

Some kind of speedy troops to seize objectives is also good, as sometimes the objectives get forgotten about in the heat of a mega battle....they certainly do when we play here! 1500 point armies, usually 15-20 players per side at our store. Unfortunately, they just end up being 1 vs 1 games set up side by side by side. No real sweeping tactics or coordination. Sounds like you won't have that problem at your store. Is your store owner asking one player per side to act as a "warlord" or general or some such? Having some kind of central command or at least coordinating and talking so that you can present a coherent front against the other team is of great value. I don't know how well you know the other players, so I can't say how easily you can pull it off, but at least try.

For example: one of the mega battles we had perhaps half a year ago saw all of our experienced players group together on one flank (they were also all Imperial Guard...), with the center and opposite flank being more of a hodge podge. No one really coordinated, and so it ended up the Forces of Order totally dominating one flank but being too slow to really affect the other table areas, the center became a close in slugfest with all the grace of a bar room brawl, and the opposite flank totally collapsed (I was with a friend taking on a Tau and Necron player for control of a Titan on a "special" board). So trying to have coordination and tactics could be very useful for you. It would have been for us!

Good luck.
    "Wife! You are abusing that Leman Russ model!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Stormy
    Scrap the Land Raider, too high-priority for such a huge game, it'll draw lascannon shots like a magnet and get popped by the third turn.
    Well that's probably ok because the board is only 4' wide and they will be in combat by then... and when you're in a city and you are in combat with a lot of power weapon attacks, there's not much they can do.

Try to deploy near someone who lacks decent long-range anti tank. If you must, use the 4 heavy weapons on the first turn to take out any high strength targets that pose a threat.

If you can keep your Land Raider alive until the last quarter or so of game turns, it will definately make ts points up because at that point your opponent will have other things to worry about. I've even found that hiding the LR until turn 3 or so will make it do better.

+ Reply to Thread