thinking of starting guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thinking of starting guard

im thinking of starting a guard army. but i am torn between guard and eldar. so can somene tell me the benifits and draw backs of guard as well as basic style of play? thanks ~X~

It is my sacred duty to save your soul from the Dark Gods of Chaos... and I willsave your soul, even if you die in the process.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Why not do some basic research on your part? There's ample posting around here, and there's an entire wealth of information on this wonderful invention called "the internet." I'll assume you're familiar with it. Games Workshop's website provides plenty of information to help you make your decision. Asking others to do all the work for you is really just a sign of laziness, that alone is reason enough for me to suggest you go be an Eldar and save us the hastle.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, laziness.. well put. it is a great undertaking to be a guard player since the armies that perform well against all different opponents are usually thicker in the numbers department.
    well.. i've only got 140 shock troops, 44 sorm troopers, 8 officers............... yikes

guard are "static" maybe?

i like to think of it as good firebase.
    the advantage of guard is the amount heavy weapons you can field
    -or-
    combination of numbers and tanks
    -or-
    ability to get crazy good leadership and shock opponents with it

those are the two basic advatnages but the imperial guard have soooo many possibilities!
    imperial guard is porbably much more prone to customization and conversions.
    Last edited by NTFH; June 18th, 2006 at 02:23.
    Imperial Guard Variants 69/20/9
    Space Wolves 17/16/2
    I.G. Armoured Company 7/3/2
    Deamonhunters 1/2/1
    I.G. BFG 0/1/2

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-170 (x0)

Please ignore Sokhar :tongue: , he sure knows his stuff but he's never gotten the hang of welcoming the new people. :rolleyes:

Guard aren't completely static, they can be fielded as a mobile army and still be competetive. However even Grenediers cannot match the mobility of the Eldar

However, I say you should just wait if you're torn between the two armies. Eldar are getting re-done near the end of the year and some sillhouette pictures have been released. I think there's a thread somewhere with the wraithlord in it.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sokhar
    Asking others to do all the work for you is really just a sign of laziness, that alone is reason enough for me to suggest you go be an Eldar and save us the hastle.
    I feel a bit bad, because that's exactly what I told him to do on the eldar forum...
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

If you like addiction problems, wives hollering at you, week kneed troops, big HUGE guns, Leadership by fear, more big guns, pathetic strength, long range, going down to the pub , Tanks, and Cammo Green, you will like guard.

If you like dainty, slender ETs, alien chicks, fast vehicles that are damn hard to kill, weird specific duty units, and a majority of ugly models with large variation pick Eldar.

Oh ya, don't mind Sokhar, he soft says everything and never tells it like is!
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

No, do NOT ignore Sokhar he's completely right.
    You've got over 100 posts and you STILL don't know where the search button is?

But anyways, this topic has been brought up a few times in the past week alone so pleaese do a search. There are even a few topics that discuss Mech and Light Infatry armies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look who isn't helping now eh? Well, I will help you, as you obviously asked, and you obviously wanted an answer, we all should have known that, and some of us acted on that. Also, doesn't seem very appealing to join IG if we are around here acting worse than eldar players probably are.

Here we go, IG is based on good numbers, lots of shots, great and cheap tanks, and good versatility honestly. In the IG, you wanna focus things, don't leave a squad tooled for CC and ranged, have them do one role, the next squad will cover the other one. You also wanna usually stand n shoot, though they are some great variations letting you drop in or having troops riding out to battle in chimeras. It is really up to you.

Eldar, I have no idea, but if you do join the Imperial Guard ranks, I will be glad to help you start out, and I won't give answers that will hardly help you answer the question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, my computer is all wack, is it possible to take away this post?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

144 (x3)

Thanks Gandhi, I'm glad not everyone feels we should help those who are too lazy or stupid to help themselves.

Triumph--I've never had any problem welcoming new people, often times I'm the first person to critique a list they put up. The problem I have is the sheer laziness it takes to essentially post "I think Eldar or Guard might be interesting....you make the decision for me." The innate response that prompts in me isn't suitable for posting, but I'm sure most people could figure it out. Now if his post had said something to the effect of "I'm considering Guard or Eldar, I've read such-and-such about them, and I've got a couple of informed questions to ask and could use some help forming my opinion," I'd have been more than happy to do so. But instead he makes a slack-ass'd post here expecting us to do all the work, and apparently he did it in the Eldar forum as well. Just doesn't cut it for me.

Diggum--Love you too, you grumpy old man.

Flak--Just shut up kid, you're becoming a tooth ache. That annoying pain that just doesn't know when to go away. And now I'm idly contemplating my drill....:rolleyes:
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast