Why the Difference? Enginseer versus SM Techpriest - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

Why the Difference? Enginseer versus SM Techpriest

Ok guys, just a grip here from someone who plays both marines and IG.

A SM Techpriest can have a retinue of 0-4 servitors, the only restriction on them being no more than one with a plasmacannon. as far as I can see in the CM, they do not count as wargear and the Techpriest can have 4 servitors and still take his 50pts worth of goodies.

An IG Enginseer can have 0-4 servitors, but must buy them as wargear, meaning that unless he takes tech servitors only, there is no way he can have 4 servitors.

Also the SM Techie can take the Uber-servo-harness of doom, while his IG bro can't

This doesn't seem particularly fair to me. Am I alone in this complaint?

I have too many armies to list in my signature!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the World of GW games

Take note of the IG FAQ in which the difference in WS in Techpriest/Enginseer combat Servitors for IG and DH is highlighted. In this case our Combat Serv has a higher WS than the DH one and GW's answer on the FAQ is: its higher just becuase it is, live with it.
    Fifth Edition Saved 40k for Me. I love my ratlings and my cover saves!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Pretty much, when they realized that the techpriest sucks because he get's jipped on the servitors they did it right for the techmarine, but are unwilling to put out an update to the IG codex fixing the techpriest. So IG's arguably coolest model get's to sit on the shelf of suckyness rarely to be seen in battle because GW made an oops, and refuses to fix it till the next codex comes out several years down the road. Really how hard would it be to say: "Servitors do not count against the Techpriest's wargear limit?"
    Votewar MKV 2nd place. . .

Back from internet limbo, and glad to be here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x1)

thought so...

on a similar vein, I saw the Titan Adeptus on the forgeworld site a while back and it looks like he's got a full servo harness - any idea whether there's stats for him anywhere out there at all?

I'm fairly sure its not in IA 1-3, so if someone could point me the right way I'd be greatful

cheers

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Well, also consider that the Techmarine is a space marine, whilst the Enginseer is a "normal" man. A Servo Harness would probably break the Enginseer's back.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Really how hard would it be to say: "Servitors do not count against the Techpriest's wargear limit?"
    Hey guys! You might be pleasantly suprised to know that there actually IS a second edition of the IG codex out at the moment. It doesn't have a 'second edition' printed on it anywhere, but if you look at the techpriest section, you may be pleasantly surprised!
    ...(you no longer have to take servitors as wargear)...

It was a definitely pleasant surprise for me, seeing as i'm currently making a skitarii army, and was hampered somewhat by that really illogical addition in the FAQ and my older codex. I say its illogical for several definite reasons, but dont feel like meantioning them here as its no longer neccessary! If you dont believe me, visit your local GW, grab their most recently ordered in copy of the IG codex (not neccessarily the store copy, that could be one of the old ones) and have a read of the techpriest section! Enjoy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

....and the fact that the techmarine is a SM would also be an answer to the servitor question.

but i don't get the point.
    what is so great about servitors....(besides the tech ones, which you can have 4 of)
    weaponservitors are too expensiv and you should have enough HB etc. in a guard army anyway. their weapon options suck (besides the H as a PC isn't that good really and a multimelter has a short range and is a waste if carried around by infantery models.
    additionaly a techengineeer must be on the move to do what he is supposed to do, repairing tanks, thus, the servitors couldn't shoot anyway.

the cc-servitors are a waste too as a engineer shouldn't see cc and they have powerfists, so they generally are destroyed before hitting back.

Plus, servitors have a 4+ save at the most, so a heavy bolter (or any multible shot weapon with DS4 and there are alot) will make short work of them, so why even bothering spending so much points.

the only servitors worth it are techservitors and you can have 4 of them, so take this as a hint from GW.

Furthermore, what wargear would you give an engineer anyway. he already has a power weapon, a shield only gives 5+ invulnerable, which isn't really good and you don't need any other wargear.....

would be cool if he had a bike or could be part of a crew of a tank....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x1)

I was originally thinking along the lines of Enginseer, 2 HB servitors and 2 tech servitors. HBs to give him something to do when he's not fixing, and stil a 50% chance of repairing the 2 bassies he's plonked between.

As for wargear, I'd probably consider honorifica and refractor if I was gonna throw him into a CC / up close anti tank role

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd strongly recomment not to take the honorifica. as soon as your opponent finds out, he's dead meat and neither the servitors nor his refraktor field will safe him from that.
    or if the opponent wants to shoot your engineer down without knowing of the honorifica.

well, 50% is not that grat as the main role for the engineer is to repair vehicles, so he should be tooled up to do so. besides, it doesn't happen too often that a weapon is blown up or the tank is immobilized, so if it happens, i wouldn't want to rely on a 50%.

+ Reply to Thread