Heavy Support - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heavy Support

I am writting up my list for my own chapter and I was wondering about HS. I hear a lot of people talk about how powerful Dev Sq are and how good wirlwinds are. I really like the idea of artillery and laying mines. So right now my 3 HS options are 2x whirlwinds and a demolisher. I might replace the Demolisher with a Pred, but right now its a Demolisher. What does everyone think about this?

The rest of my list is 3 LST, Chaplain led assault SQ(furios charge, melta bombs, 2x plasma, vet sgt w/PF)( this sq is like 310pts), Scout sq (5x snipers, HB, SGT with Telport Homer), Termis w/2x AC, Tac sq in rhino(10x Trust your battle, LAS, SGT w/PF).

There is not a whole lot of anti-armour except for the assault cannons on the Termies and 3xLST. How effective are these at anti-amour especially when you get up to 14AV? Do I really need the one LAS. I also added 3 Scout bikers with melta bombs, but thats isnt in my 1500 point army.

How is that for a list? Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it looks like you got an assualty army. So what I would do is take out one of the Whirlwinds and add eather a Vindicator, or a Dev. squad with missles and lascannons.

Take out one of the whirlwinds because you don't want your missiles hitting your assualting troops. Unless your going to use the ones that lays mines.

I personaly don't like Preds. You can't shoot much of your weapons if you move. The only Pred I would use is the Destructor with 2 heavy bolters. Because it can still move and fire all its weapons. But the Annihilator can't. From what I see from your list you got a very assualty army so if you go with a Pred The Destructor would be your best bet. But if you do go with the Destructor you should try and put in a Dev. squad with missles and lascannons to help out with thoes vehicles.

All religion, my friend is simply evolved out of fraud, greed, imagination and poetry.
    - Edgar Allen Poe

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

I like annihilators with heavy bolter sponsons. While you are sometimes wasting the sponsons, it keeps the tank mobile and flexible. You're only losing one shot over the destructor, too.

You might want to rejig your list to remove the meltabombs from the assault squad (don't try to have one squad trying to do too much) and fiddling with the list until you get a tactical squad with a lascannon.

Maybe post your list in the army list section if you haven't already. It would be useful to know which level of chaplain you are using and what equipment he has (You don't really need anything but a reclusiarch).

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I propablly wasnt goint to add a pred because of that fact.

I meant as it stand I my 3 HS are 2x whirlwind and a Vindicator. I think I said demolisher. I was wondering if I should drop one of these 3 options inexchange for a DEV SQ. I was planning on mainly using the WHirlwinds to do barrages of minfields. I figured I needed to make sure I have enough coverage.

As far as anti armour thats what I really wonder about. I have melta bombs on my assault sq, 2x AC with Termies(have Tank Hunt), 3xLST, 1XLAS with the TAC SQ, and the VIND.
    Is this enough anti-armour?
    How effective is AC agains AV 14?
    How effective do you think the VIND is?
    How effective is putting Melta on assault SQ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the AC vs vehicles. They are good if you get 6s.

For the Melta bombs with the assualt squad. They are good incase you come across a tank. And it will give you a little more anti-tank things.

For the Vindicator check out this part of the site...

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...tor-worth.html

All religion, my friend is simply evolved out of fraud, greed, imagination and poetry.
    - Edgar Allen Poe

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

Devies make good anti armor.

But if you dont want to do that, take some termies with chainfists, meltaguns in tactical squads, meltaguns in bike squads. There is a myriad of options for tank hunting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Just a comment on the whirlwinds with mine fields. I've played lists with 1, 2 and 3 whirlwinds dropping minefields. You definitly want to have at least two. In order for the mines to be effective you need to cover a lot of area with mines. In a typical 6 round game, 6 minefields in the end isn't effective. If you're going to be laying mines go with 3 whirlwinds unless the vindicator is a key point to your strategy.

That being said, I really like my two 7 man dev squads with 4 ML's.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Von Shirl
    How effective is AC agains AV 14?
    How effective do you think the VIND is?
    How effective is putting Melta on assault SQ?
    AC can beat up to armour 18. So 14 is not too hard to get at least a glance.

Vindicator can be super effective, especially if you are facing large hoards that are not willing to waste time running around it's firing range (like Nids)

The only Melta you can get in an Assault Squad is a combi melta on a Veteran Sergeant (unless you are talking about melta bombs), which by the way is the weapon I have equiped on one of my Sergeants. It can offer a great deal of extra punch against MC's but I don't recommend using the Assault Marines to tank hunt, unless you are really against using the Dev squad.

I would work on getting that Dev squad in there if possible, as they are so sturdy, and can really lay down the fire.
    Bolter Blasting Blizzard = Victory

BringerOfStormsGallery

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

Why not give the serge Meltabombs as well as a fist? That way he'll do horrendous damage iclose quarters against vehicles and his fist can still be used against infantry. Who cares that he only gets one attack, just keep missing until the sweet spot hits and then claim the Meltabomb attack on it. Watch that vehicle become a LOS blocker in a matter of seconds!
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by <E!_Mance>
    Why not give the serge Meltabombs as well as a fist? That way he'll do horrendous damage iclose quarters against vehicles and his fist can still be used against infantry. Who cares that he only gets one attack, just keep missing until the sweet spot hits and then claim the Meltabomb attack on it. Watch that vehicle become a LOS blocker in a matter of seconds!
    Because a sarge with powerfist has 3 attacks. Meltabombs have 1 attack.
    Strength 8 is still enough to damage any vehicle out there, unless that vehicle didn't move the last turn you're needing 4's or 6s to hit, You have a much better chance of disabling said vehicle if you have 4 attacks on the charge, rather than 1 chance(though if it DOES hit, your melta bombs do have a better chance of blowing said vehicle up) More chances to do something is always better than one chance. If you don't blow it up/stun it, it will simply drive away from you.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast