Space Marine Names - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Marine Names

There was a name generator for sm's in a white dwarf a while ago but internet searches and forum searches have provided nothing.

All i want to know is what style names the Blood Angels use. I cant remember if they are greek or roman style.

Ironically i can remember the other chapter that were listed such as Space Wolves being Norse, Black Templar being Germanic etc

So what are Blood Angels, i know its one of the 2 but im hoping some one can tell me before i root around in all my WD's

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Roman! Dante, Tycho, Lemartes, Mephiston, Moriar, Simeon, Titus, Ethan, Joses, Hosea, Festus, Demos, Philemon, Jacobus, Marcus, Micah, Alpheus, Aquila (hehe - duh!), Andreus - these are the names of special characters and orinary brothers mentioned in codex bloodangels and how to paint space marines.

Hope I've been of help!
    Blood Angels
    Tau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i looked u pas many names a i could and they seemed roman and that confirms it. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found a really cool site with Roman names a while back, but cant seem to find it now. I will post a link if it turns up.
    Last edited by BringerOfStorms; June 23rd, 2006 at 03:38.
    Bolter Blasting Blizzard = Victory

BringerOfStormsGallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THIS is a really cool site for names, just incase you get stuck for one... even gives you the meaning.
    Best of luck,
    BoS
    Bolter Blasting Blizzard = Victory

BringerOfStormsGallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, what stlye are you looking for? Most of the chapters that you hear names for are Latin in origin (Cassius, Marneus, Tigirius, etc). For this, studying Latin is your best bet for knowing a lot. The benefit is that they sound ancient and dignified.

Then there's Germanic names, like the BT use. Think Gregor, Helbrecht, Johan, so on. These are often gutteral and while less refined give a sense of strength, power, and brutality.

There's Chaos too. They tend to use a lot of apostraphies and have names that mean nothing and sound alien to us-peruse ancient tounges like Summerian, Persian, Egytptian, and the Bible. Also, old fantasy novels are perfect sources. This is what GW has done. Example: Ahriman of the Thousand Sons is from Robert Howard's Hour of the Dragon, a Conan novel. I know Abbadon is from another source, but can't remember what.

Or do what I do: make your own. As you may have guessed reading this post, I've got a knack for it. But not everyone has that benefit. Don't despaire, do something else I do: translate. What do I mean? Here's some names for examples: Maior Vitus (latin, greater than life). Mirabilus Mortuus (Latin-amazing/wonderful death). Bellum Gerreo (Latin-I wage war) Krieger (German-warrior) Issen Kraw (sp?) (German-Iron claw).

But, I don't know of any name generators. A lot of text to get to that last bit, but I hope I helped.
    Chief Inspector Dreyfus: Are you wounded?
    Clouseau: No. Fortunately I was saved by the darkness.
    Chief Inspector Dreyfus: So what we need is more light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abaddon (Hebrew אבדון Avadon, meaning "destruction"). In Biblical poetry (Job 26:6; Proverbs 15:11) it comes to mean "place of destruction", or the realm of the dead, and is associated with Sheol. Abaddon is also one of the compartments of Gehenna.

In Revelation 9:11, it is described personified as the demon Abaddon, "Angel of the Abyss", rendered in Greek as Apollyon.

In ancient Persian religion (Zoroastrianism), Ahriman (aka Arimanius or Angra Mainya) stood high in the ranks of the enemies who opposed Ahura Mazda (aka Ohrmazd or Oromasdes). Ahriman is thought to be the first personification of "the Devil" because Zoroastrians believed in a completely dualistic form of religion.

Most of the Chaos demons and character names are actually based off religious devils and demons from various countries' religious mythos. I find that fitting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abaddon is in the bible several times. Always associated with evil.
    And if anyone wants I have a head full of cracky names askme for some names and what style. Specify positions Chaplain, Captain etc.
    http://brunsvillegame.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html
    PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    Rep people if they help you!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bellum_Gerreo
    Well, what stlye are you looking for? Most of the chapters that you hear names for are Latin in origin (Cassius, Marneus, Tigirius, etc). For this, studying Latin is your best bet for knowing a lot. The benefit is that they sound ancient and dignified.

Then there's Germanic names, like the BT use. Think Gregor, Helbrecht, Johan, so on. These are often gutteral and while less refined give a sense of strength, power, and brutality.

There's Chaos too. They tend to use a lot of apostraphies and have names that mean nothing and sound alien to us-peruse ancient tounges like Summerian, Persian, Egytptian, and the Bible. Also, old fantasy novels are perfect sources. This is what GW has done. Example: Ahriman of the Thousand Sons is from Robert Howard's Hour of the Dragon, a Conan novel. I know Abbadon is from another source, but can't remember what.

Or do what I do: make your own. As you may have guessed reading this post, I've got a knack for it. But not everyone has that benefit. Don't despaire, do something else I do: translate. What do I mean? Here's some names for examples: Maior Vitus (latin, greater than life). Mirabilus Mortuus (Latin-amazing/wonderful death). Bellum Gerreo (Latin-I wage war) Krieger (German-warrior) Issen Kraw (sp?) (German-Iron claw).

But, I don't know of any name generators. A lot of text to get to that last bit, but I hope I helped.
    Sorry i wasnt actually looking for a name generator, just the article that went with it cos i couldn't remember what style names the BA typically had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, with names like Mephiston and Dante for special characters, look to the Renaissance and other humanist movements.
    Chief Inspector Dreyfus: Are you wounded?
    Clouseau: No. Fortunately I was saved by the darkness.
    Chief Inspector Dreyfus: So what we need is more light.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast