Maxing out Sentinals - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maxing out Sentinals

Has anyone taken the maximum amount of Sentinals in their army? I have never seen it done; however, seems like it would be interesting. Since you can take them as all your fast attack choices as well as in your HQ...that is a lot of firepower on the board...to include the scout rule and the fact that in escalation games you get to always deploy them...

If you have done it, how did you configure your Sentinals? Autocannons, multilasers, lascannons?

Any cool battle reports?

Thanks in advance...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Don't forget you can also DS them for free if you take the drop tropp doctrine.

As for configuration, I usualy go for the lascannon or autocannon. The most I've ever used was 9 in one battle and it wasn't all that great. The entire squadron CAN be wiped oput by heavy bolter fire, and being open topped just makes it worse. But they are good for DSing behind enemy armour and popping tanks at random.

In my HQ, Currently Giving an Inspiring Speech to my Guardsman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually use the Autocannon version because it's the more well rounded (But I have heard of poeple use the lascannons for a "sniping" version). I also usually arm them with those HK missiles (I have magnets to take them on or off) and take fully advantage of their scout ability to delopy near a threating light vehicles. With 3 Sentinels, that's 9 shots with 3 HK missiles firing which can usually take out a Predator or a Dreadnought. After that, (If they survive because of their weak armor) I move them back and use the Autocannons as fire support.
    ...And they shall fear the lasgun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

As Gandhi points out, a squadron of three sentinels is vastly more vulnerable than three individual sentinels. The more you group together the more vulnerable and easily disposed of they are. Thus from an efficiency standpoint, the best "large sentinel" approach you could go with would only be four sentinels (3 from fast attack, and one from HQ). What you'd need to make that approach even remotely viable is a guarantee that they'd get to shoot before being mauled. Then the massed firepower might offset the fact that they're easily shredded. Deep striking them with Drop Troops gives that option. Extrapolating further, with this approach you wouldn't want to group lascannon Sents together as the first shot might destroy the target and thus render the other sentinels useless for the round. Also you'd want to maximize damage inflicted while spending as few points as possible. To achieve that I'd look to target weaker enemy units, like horde swarms and so on, and I'd do it with the heavy bolter equipped Drop Sentinels included in IA3. These sentinels would crank out the most possible shots of any variant, and is also the cheapest weapon option for any sentinel. This approach could be useful against something like Orks or Tyranids as they can deep strike a safe distance away from the targets but still be in range with their guns, and fire off like a Fire Support Squad when they touch down.

Just my 17 cents.
    "I would listen to Sokhar. The man's a genius. Listen."
    ~Lord Yossanrion
    "Thanks, Sokhar. There was some legitimately good advice in between the low-grade profanity, blaspheming and veiled insults."
    ~Quick
    "Well thought, intelligently put, with a hint of sarcastic bastard!"
    ~Diggum's Hammer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad Link, reason for edit.
    Last edited by Sniffles the Cat; June 25th, 2006 at 08:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol They had Vindicare named 'Carl':w00t:
    http://brunsvillegame.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html
    PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    Rep people if they help you!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sniffles don't link that mate, it's giving away specifics. EVIL SPECIFICS!
    Though unnumbered lurking perils await us, our blades will ever be ready.
    FOR WE ARE THE EMPEROR'S VENGEANCE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Unless you're dark eldar, I would never advise useing AV10 vehicles in large numbers, even if they are fast skimmers (which these are most-decidedly not). They die too easily to the standard infantry weapon, the good ol boltgun, and god forbid marines should get one of these things in HTH, then your sentinel is pretty well screwed. With armor of paper mache, my best advice with sentinals is using 1 or 2 as anti-tank snipers with the lascannon. They easily earn their points back with a single successful kill. As far as using a whole army, refer to the first sentence. The reason for that rule is that while 1 or 2 sentinels or *insert random AV10 vehicle here* may be able to earn their points back, when used en-masse they rarely do anything other than die a horrible death.

Perfect example: guy thought it would be a brilliant idea to do the eldar viper list (forget which craftworld) with some falcons. The vipers got beaten around like red-headed step chitlins in every game he played.
    Last edited by Mastershake; June 25th, 2006 at 07:27.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten Flashlight
    Sniffles don't link that mate, it's giving away specifics. EVIL SPECIFICS!
    I'm sorry! I knew that we can't post stats of things on the actual website but I guess I forgot about links too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh, the lovely sentinels. For me, the low armor value isn't a problem, as most weapons they can have easily is kept outside bolter-range. If he does drive his models to your sentinels or use heavy weapons to destroy them, you are probably saving models other places.

Remember: buy them in pairs... that way, he has to destry both in order to get any points for them. If one is destroyed, you should be able to get the other in cover... now he just wasted a lot of shots on nothing... unless ofcourse both are destroyed at once.

@ Mastershake, regarding the vypers: If that is the case, he wasn't using them properly.... yes, I loose some sometimes, but more often than not, they earn their points threefold.
    My DKoK WIP:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast