Apothicaries and close combat! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apothicaries and close combat!

Just a quick question:

May I elect to have my apothicary to not participate in combat so I may use his abilities instead of preforming close combat attacks? I just thought of this when I was forming my army list for my blood angels thinking a sanguary priest would be very powerful combined with a death company.

BattleFleet Gothic:
    Valhallan 23rd Imperial Navy: ~2500 pts
    Blood Lord SM Fleet: ~1000 pts

Warhammer 40,000:
    Valhallan 23rd Imperialist Guard: ~6,000 pts
    BT SM: ~2000 pts
    DA SM: ~1000 pts
    BA SM: ~1500 pts
    Tau: ~250

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Member Master Falcon Deathwalker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well

If in a command squad they may take wither a bolter or a cc-wep and b-pistol.
    so i sopose you can.

hope that answers your question.

cheers.
    A WISE MAN LEARNS FROM THE DEATHS OF OTHERS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I am more wondering if all units are forced to charge into combat or if I can have one or two stick behind and do other things like the Apothicary. He can heal/prevent a marine from dying UNLESS he is in close combat.
    BattleFleet Gothic:
    Valhallan 23rd Imperial Navy: ~2500 pts
    Blood Lord SM Fleet: ~1000 pts

Warhammer 40,000:
    Valhallan 23rd Imperialist Guard: ~6,000 pts
    BT SM: ~2000 pts
    DA SM: ~1000 pts
    BA SM: ~1500 pts
    Tau: ~250

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

Look mate, in the rulebook, does it say ANYWHERE that you can just chhose to keep somebody in the squad out of an assault phase? No.
    "Oh, yeah, see that Chaplain, He's probably going to die when you charge me, so I want to just leave him out of the close combat. Thanks."

Doesn't work like that. They all go, or none go. Sometimes you don't even get to choose from that.

The best you can do is spend another 20pts and give the Apocethary T Hon & a Power Weapon to help rid yourself of the enemy faster.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a question. Suppose a charater is in close combat, can you choose not to make your attacks during the phase while still receving attacks against him?

An example is that a Chaplain is in combat with a handfull of Imperial Guard during your turn. However, you know that once you destroy them, you'll be sitting in the wide open during the IG's shotting phase. Instead of dealing the attacks that will kill the guard, can you choose not to use your attacks and weather the enemy attacks till the assault phase in your opponent's turn?
    People who don't know how to use artillery are using artillery, and that scares me. -TacJack
    Bring out the Bikes!

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

I suppose you can. You couldn't choose to keep one unit out of the fray but you certainly could tell them to let the enemy hammer into them. It's just like you don't have to shoot at something just because it's in range.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

No. I've had people try this before. It IS illegal to try and have models in close combat either not attack or take less attacks, but I can't recall if that ruling is in a FAQ. It is unreasonable to assume that, regardless of what you want to happen, a model in close combat will not defend him/herself. I've had a few judges come in and make rulings on this one.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Yeah, the problem is that it doesn't matter whether you keep the apothecary out of the combat or not - if he is part of a squad that is engaged in hth, then he is considered to be locked in close combat regardless, and thus cannot use his special equipment. Even if he is not actually within any close combat kill zones.

Of course, you could always sit him in another squad directly behind the one that is in hth. Then he would be able to use his equipment without any problem (well, so long as he is within 6 inches of the target to be saved)!

You may find it interesting to note that it is actually possible for an IG medic to use his medi-pack whilst everyone else around him in his squad is in hth, as the medi-pack works differently to a narthecium. Generally difficult to achieve this, however, and it only ever works on the first round of hth, as any subsequent 'pile in' moves will remove this advantage.

I just find it curious that a medic crunchie is able to perform better in this way then his genetically enhanced and trained super monk space marine ally. Maybe its good for me that I field both Dark Angels and Skitarii!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Besides - no other characters than chappies can join Death Company....
    Blood Angels
    Tau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You play Blood Angels, Right? Well, give your High S. Priest an Exsanguinator. When you
    charge leave him in the back of the unit so he isn't in contact with the enemy and you can
    use his wargear.

The rules for the Exsanguinator say, you can't be in base contact with an enemy model
    if you want to use it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast