New (possible) marine Player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New (possible) marine Player

To start off, let me tell you that i dont know very much about the Emperors finest, but i'm thining about starting a space marines army, problem is, i have no idea which i should pick! i'd like to use a "premade" chapter, as it seems that every time i try to make a colourscheme, people tend to not like it..

I've bought the Chaplain with jump pack, and i've painted him up, he can be seen here

most of my other armies have been more shooting oriented than close-combat oriented (Tau and Imperial Guard), and i would like to play an army that are good at close combat. i really like assault marines, and the only two chapters, that i know of, that use many jump pack equipped marines are Blood Angels, and Raven guard. I dont really like the idea of some of my marines being completely insane (the black rage, i dont know much about it, just that fluff-wise that some of them become so bloodthirsty that they are put into special squads..), so that pretty much leaves me with raven guard, but i'm just afraid of having to paint so much black armour, and that it will look very boring with only black marines on the table, but what do you guys think?

the reason i am making this topic is to ask you guys, are there other chapters that use many Assault marines? and then ofcourse you thoughts on an all black army on the table, does it look good, and is it hard to paint?

(as described in the painting thread i linked to, i will be in Italy/southern Germany in roughly three weeks, so theres no need to rush yourselves

thanks in advance, m_m

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, reading that you like close combat, I know of Black Templar, Blood Angel (I suppose), Raven Guard and possibly Space Wolves.

Not sure who uses the most jump packs though. Most likely Raven Guard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe white scars aswell?
    My armies are studly!
    W/D/L
    Empire 25/1/2
    chaos 8/0/2
    Hyrulian Knights 7/3/1

Take the fight to them
    Have faith is suspician

(\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this message into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

you could even make a custom chapter with traits so you could use marines with BP/CCW, then drop them in Drop pods. also i think there is a trait that allows you to take more fast attack stuff, but i am not sure.

Remember, if someone helps you with anything, REP THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by 10th Lyran View Post
    "Wow, that's awesome, I wish my leg looked like that!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i play templar and there really CCish. every marine in the army can be equiped with a bolt pistol and a CC weapon. =] there squads can also be up to 20 men strong combining tactical marines and scout type marines. the ony thing is there codex if missing some units you may want. the templar have no devistator squads no whirlwinds and no scout squads. they only have one troop choice ubt it combines tactical marines and scouts in one unit. templar are also the only army around that can take land raiders and land rader crusaders as dedicated troop transports. if your looking for a major CC army Templar are a good choice in my oppinion but i dont know alot about the other chapters of SM
    It is my sacred duty to save your soul from the Dark Gods of Chaos... and I willsave your soul, even if you die in the process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

custom chapters are probably your best bet unless you want to be locked into less flexible choices

Blood angels can be rather random ( I had fun with the Fleshtearers I used for a few months) but for the most part will manage to run out of cover at bad times and try to beat people.

Spacewolves are a nice mixture imo. They can shoot if they need to and will do so when you want them to...but would rather hack things to bits.

Bt = No libs = No thanks

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

Yeah go custom. Full freedom over your traits and style, can choose every unit from the normal list, could make your own special characters, and you can mix & match from existing chapters.

Space wolves' heads with Chained Boltguns and Tabars will look cool.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well since you already invested in the the Chaplin I guess you won't want Space Wolves. We're kinda of odd in that not only do we shoot pretty good we'll hack just about anything to pieces in CC and we don't even cost much more!

Big thing is, we're kinda strange, we got all these different units and we operate differently. For example we don't use Scouts we use Blood Claws! But if you want a lot of power fist/weapons we're the guys to talk to. Every squad can take 2 basically and 3 if its at least 11 Blood Claws in a unit. On a side note we don't really like those "jump pack" things we prefer running up and killing you the old fashioned way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

Raven Guard is a great army if you like jump packs. You can have up to 60 assault marines! 70 if you use Commander Shrike and his retinue, he's a great model and I suggest you pick him up to use as a commander if nothing else.

Black armor is not that hard to paint and can look great if you spend a little time to add a few highlughts to the armor edges. I play Black Templars myself and my brother has a ravenguard army that I borrow from time to time and they armor looks great! You will spend the same amount of time painting ravenguard as you would another army. You prime them black, pick out the details, and add a few highlights and your done. Its really simple and I would recomend you start Ravenguard if you wan't to start Space Marines because their easy to paint and very assaulty.

All you need to start are some scouts, I would go with 1 CC squad and one Sniper squad. Then start loading up on Assault Marines.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

With divergent traits you can field an army with nearly the same rules as Raven Guard ('cept shrike). This will give you A LOT of assault marines if you want to - however they are expensive, both as models and in-game!
    Blood Angels
    Tau

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast