A quick question about modeling IG - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A quick question about modeling IG

when your preparing a batch of guradmen, do you bother taking the mold lines of them, i ask because its taken me 3 afternoons to prep just over 30 models, and it seems like the task is never ending.

also is it acceptable to have the heavy weapons on seperate bases to the models who operate them (excluding missile launchers) or failing that could anyone explain how to get a guardman and an autocannon onto a single base. i don't intend to use the large bases, (as in the rule book it says treat it like 2 models on small bases, and from the battles i've observed this tends to cause a fair bit of argument once fire starts raining down on them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just put them on a large base, and put a marker to represent the fact that the gunner is dead. Failing that, buy extra bases and have the gunner with gun and extra stuff on the large while the gunner is on a small base.

Yes, unfortunately it seems all of my models have horrible flash and mold lines on them which I file away at endlessly. Ironically none of my Dark Eldar models have this problem...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah im really not to impressed with the quality of these new cadians, i defonatly don't remember having this problem when i made my deathworld army, these new models seem to have mold lines everywhere

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I dont know how to answer your modeling question because I have all steel legion so on some of the metal modles you need to. But for your heavy weapon question you can try putting them on the large base but put the individual models on the smaller bases I may look a little too stacked but if you model it right it can look pretty good.
    The Predator Lingers forth. Suddenly the sound of several wipping sounds can be heard far off into the distance, a second later the once mighty Predator ignited with flames. "Sir what was that" The srgt replied "Its those damn Broadsides"

Hear the wip, fear the Broadside.
    Tau 2-2
    Guard 26-45

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

I've done this with all of my heavy weapon teams for the same reasons you stated.

Mortars- easy, just put the mortar on a standard base and base the crew seperately.
    Missile launchers- just put the gunner on one base, and the loader on another
    Heavy bolters- I actually trimmed my heavy bolters and autocannons to fit in place of the flamethrower on the flamer arms
    Autocannons- see above
    Lascannons- I put the tripod and lascannon on it's own bas (cavalry base) and put the gunner on his own base, I just put him next to weapon when I use it.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i did the same like mastershake, though you have to be careful on tournaments, as its written in the rulebook that all modells must be mounted on the base that comes with the box or bigger ones.

personally, i experianced the larger bases to be both annoying and a tactical problem in cc and movement. don't know why GW got that horrible idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

since in the book it says to treat them as if based on infantry bases im sure a torni wouldnet complain

the heavy bolters are done as are the morters, the missile launchers are going to be easy, but i still havent descided how to do the auto cannons, im thinking maybe take it appart abit and make it look like its being transported (lots of auto cannon ish stuff sticking out of a backpack and holding a the barral. this is fine for one, however i dont think i could get away with doing the 3 i was planning like this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Even at GT's I have yet to see anyone bring up the issue mainly b/c rules-wise, they are two seperate models, so it's hard to argue that you aren't allowed to base them as such.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

then read the the IG faq.... "it is treated as 2 seperate models based together for the convience of movement"
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Heh, this is one of the reasons why I like Cadians, it takes me less than a minute to remove the mold lines of one model. Just point the sharp end of your hobbyknife against the start of the moldline and drag it along the line(Don't use any force, then you might cut to deep into the model), usually one "drag" is enough, but even with two the mold line is completely gone and the marg left by the removal isn't visible once you've painted the model.

Metal models on the other hand require some filing. :<

But to answer your question, yes. I remove the mold lines from my guardsmen, I've done it to all 180 of them aswell as all their vehicles. It's not much effort and it improves the model's looks by alot.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

+ Reply to Thread