Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
This is a succesive topic on my What HQ topic.
What are good units to take in a 1000 and 1500 points army. I want to keep my army as much Grey Knight as possible but are storm troopers really needed to make up some bodycount.
Also what kind of wargear should I give to my troops and HQ.
IN a 1500 points game should I take a grand master or just a brother captain.
I have never played against or with them so I have no idea how to compose this army.
DonÂ´t mess with the dicegod
I prefer the BC on all but anti 'Nid lists. The reason is that the Grandmaster is a lot of extra points for a Force Weapon and three wounds. 5 Termies can take out most units (except Genestealers and the odd CC Hive Tyrant, so I would rather spend the points elsewhere in an all-comers list.
A GM is an Independant Character and can be singled out in CC, so if you do take him add an Icon of the Just to help against Power Fist attacks and Monstrous Creature attacks that can Instakill him.
In a really big list (2000+) I would take the GM. I like to use a Psycannon, Icon of the Just and maybe Hammerhand (for Tanks). I might use some anti-Chaos gear if I know I am fighting Chaos.
Hope that helps,
"A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
Sir Winston Churchil
Originally Posted by dicegod
There is a very good FAQ/Tactica that you should check out that will help you answer pretty much all of your questions.
As with most any army in 40K or Fantasy, you'll generally do better with maxed or near-maxed units of standard Troops choices than if you go with all kinds of shiny extras. For Daemonhunters, I'd say that both Troop choices are good, as long as you're running 8-10 models per squad.What are good units to take in a 1000 and 1500 points army. I want to keep my army as much Grey Knight as possible but are storm troopers really needed to make up some bodycount.
IST are useful for their special weapons (making them decent with anti-tank), ability to take transports, and relative inexpensiveness. They aren't hardy compared to other DH units, but they're hardier than, say, an Imperial Guardsman, Tau, or Gaunt. I wouldn't buy them just to "fill up your list", but with specific goals in mind. Typical units of IST come with 2x special weapons (always of the same type, usually 2x melta or 2x plasma), a transport of your choice, and if you're using Deepstriking GK, a Vet Sergeant with a Teleport Homer.
PAGK units are much hardier and turn out a lot more firepower in both ranged and melee combat, but are subsequently much more expensive than an IST (2.5x as much per model!). They also lack transports and true Heavy weapons, making them significantly less flexible than their Space Marine counterparts. They are, though, extremely useful. Despite their cost you could max out on these guys and take no IST and it wouldn't make your list unplayable or anything. Heck, Deathwing has less models and they still manage.
I will say, however, that I prefer to Deepstrike my GK units (which makes them Fast Attack choices). So if you want to do that, take two IST units to fill the minimum Troops requirements and put the rest of your GK into FA slots.None.Also what kind of wargear should I give to my troops and HQ.
Ok, thats an oversimplification, but you won't do well with this army if you load up every model that has armoury access with piles of weapons and wargear. Most everyone comes equipped with all the weapons and gear they need, so save those points for more models!
* GK Justicars, they should take Frags and/or Meltabombs, but nothing more.
* IST Vets shouldn't be purchased unless you have a very specific reason in mind (Teleport Homers, basically, since giving them a weapon is usually a waste).
* GK Brother-Captains, nadda - one wound and no protection from instakill makes a BC nothing more than a regular GK Terminator, so don't make him even more expensive!
* GK Grandmasters, they're already great in melee, so again go light with add-ons. They have three wounds, sure, but are as vulnerable to instakill as BCs are. Remember, all characters may be picked out in melee, regardless of bodyguard or retinue. I suggest taking one or two of these: psycannon (he has BS5 & terminator armor, making him a killing machine with a good weapon!), icon of the just (if you feel that a 2+/5+ save isn't good enough), sacred incense (if you'll face Chaos forces at all). Other than that...
* Inquisitors/Lords: don't overload these guys either. If you're going for a shooty Inq, give him a psycannon & auspex. If you're going for a melee Inq (not the best idea), give him a decent melee weapon (thunderhammer, powerfist, force weapon, pair of lightning claws), pistol (unless you have the pair of claws), and maybe one protective item (Lords come with power armor already, and they should be the ones in melee. An Icon of the Just is about all you would benefit from here).Brother Captain. GMs are good, yes, but expensive. And the real benefit of the GM is the Force Weapon, which won't be as useful in a game where your enemy isn't bringing their own 300pt+ uber characters. Your entire army is expensive, so don't take an overly expensive HQ as well.IN a 1500 points game should I take a grand master or just a brother captain.Check out the Army List section of this forum and read some other people's lists. A lot of us tend to give the same advice for a specific unit on every list, so you'll see the do's and do not's of each unit. And you'll get ideas for how to put your own list together.I have never played against or with them so I have no idea how to compose this army.As can all ICs. Brother Captains, Inquisitors/Lords, GMs, etc.Originally Posted by Diggums Hammer
At the moment i am fielding 2 units of 10 SM and a SM captain to make my army technically a space marine army with daemonhunter allies.
The reason for this is that i fell that IG and IST just arn't 'bough' enough to be part of a daemonhunters army, i.e as a puritan player i just think that GK asking for help from normal men is beneath them, sa such i use SM to be my cheaper troop choice (as they are 10 points cheaper than a PAGK) and having SM as a base army allows the fielding of landspeeders etc.