Librarium Online Forums banner

Fighting Necrons

871 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  number6 
#1 ·
My first game will be a 1500 pt. game vs Necrons. What are some tactics to use against them? The game will be played in CoD. The mission will be Firesweep. The only other thing to add is that we are alloud to have one(1) special character. Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
Once your in melee the odds quickly swing in your favor. Certain guys, like a C'tan which he's probably going to bring, got T8 and like 4-5 wounds, so I'd bring a grand master to stick it in his face. I'd suggest, because of the likelihood of a 300 point C'tan, that you bring a GM and a small retinue, but this is uncommon in a low point game. Thier weapons are impressive so I would avoid a ranged shoot out, but you'll stand your own. If your lucky he'll be stupid and not bring many warriors, so try to phase him out.

Reactions: AtlantianWarrior
#3 · (Edited)
A good Necron General is very hard to beat, but some (hopefully) helpfull tips.

1> Targeting priority: Destroyers first. They are fast, have range and pack a lot of firepower. Guass weapons will kill your tanks, and mow throught ISTs. Use a Callidus to tie them up, and Psycannons to shoot them down.
Immortals second. Usually teleport around with Lord and Veil of Darkness and Res Orb.
Warriors third. - Focus on killing one squad at a time. Go for phase out. Necrons can't get back up if they don't have anything to replicate themselves to.

2> Leave the Landraiders at home. As well as AC Dreads and armor in General. One round of Gauss shooting from 3 Destroyers or an Immortal squad will usually wreck a vehicle. Long range shooting is good for a turn or two, but that's it. I much prefer IG squads for my Heavy weapons vs 'Crons.

3> If you are out of Lascannons don't worry about the Monolith or C'Tan. Just work on Killing Necrons and going for Phase out. It is your best chance for Victory.

I have played these resiliant buggers a lot, and there is definate strategy to winning.

Cheers, DH

Reactions: AtlantianWarrior
#4 ·
This is my force I am bringing.

HQ
BC + 3 Termies one with a psycannon 224pts.

Troops
PAGK Justicar+6 with incinerator 210 pts.
PAGK Justicat+7 with incinerator, and psycannon 260 pts.

Elite
GKT BC+4 wit hincinerator 260 pts.

=][= with terminator armour and psycannon 70pts
along with 1 HB servitos and 1 Plasma Cannon servitor 70 pts.

Heavy Support
GK Dreadnought with TLLC/ML, extra armour 145 pts.

Total 1499 pts.

I thought about making my HQ a GM with a retinue. The only problem wit hthat would be I would lose 3 PAGK. That would mean I would drop the GK with incinerators in the two large squads and a PAGK in on of the large squads too. That would bring me to 1488.

I was toalking to a Necron play at the hobby store in town and he was telling me about killing his warriors to phase him out. I was told I have to kill more than 50% of his warriors to do that.

#5 ·
AtlantianWarrior said:

Troops

I was talking to a Necron play at the hobby store in town and he was telling me about killing his warriors to phase him out. I was told I have to kill more than 50% of his warriors to do that.
First off, while psycannon are great, I suggest lumping them all together in one squad, if possible. This allows you to put all their bullets against the right targets without wasting other weapons fire. Use your psycannon on enemy Scarabs (each wound causes Instant Death on a whole template), Wraiths and C'tan (Psycannon ignore their save). Put the Psycannon in a smaller Grey Knight squad (really) and max out the assault squads...these will get shot at more, since their power weapons are threatening, and you opponent will have to make both a Prioity test and roll Shrouding before targeting your Psycannons.

If you keep the Dreadnought, remember that you can move it and still fire both weapons. Deploy it behind a building or something in case your opponent gets the first turn.

Try a Mystic on your Inquisitor. The 'Crons have a couple of Deep Strike options, and the Mystic is a really cheap way to get the jump on them.

If you have an Assassin, try the Eversor. His insane number of power weapon attacks and long charge distance make him great for both covering large areas of the battlefiled and ignoring both Armor saves and "We'll Be Back!" rolls. In a pinch, his Neuro-Gauntlet can also put a few wounds on a C'tan easily enough, but he'll probably die in the process.

Lastly, keep a running count of your opponent's models with the Nercon special rule (Monoliths, C'tan, Pariahs, Scarabs, Spiders don't count!)...when you have destroyed 75% (not 50%) of these models, he phases out and you win...the tough part will be getting enough models into close combat to do it. Once again, try an Assassin to reduce the number of models firing at you as you advance.

Just don't use the Callidus on a C'tan. Please.

#6 ·
Mate, I would bring the GM+ termies, and then just as many possible grey knights. Do the math before the battle, you can wipe out both warrior squads fairly quickly if you donate everything to killing them --- will that make them phase out? This is an effective strategy, but if it's one model less then required, don't bother, go in diggums order. Drop the dread and inq and most of the special weapons (or all) for more men. FAGK's will work nicely here, esp. if you use IST's and a rhino and teleport them directly in front of the necrons (a few squads of them if possible) then watch the carnage insue. But they're really hard, freakin' cheese! CHEESE AND TRICKERY!

#7 ·
Wow your first battle against a cron player. if he is a good tactician then that will be a good challenge for u. But if he isn't that good then this will be a walk in the park.

Keep this in mind "phase out" repeat that for 2 min strait befor the battle. Then calculate the different combinations of killing his units that will give u that result. Then select the easiest and work towards that.

Go into the battle with the mindset that u will loose your dread.
If he has a monolith u must get into combat if u are near it, or ignore it if far away.
If he has big squads of warriors get your close combat squads in quick so u dont take too much fire. And about the phase out its 75% of his Necron units. That means units that benefit from we will be back rolls and the other necron rules.

#8 ·
Thank you all for the help. I will go with Diggums Hammer's priority list. I will do what Inquisitor Solexus suggested about the psycannons. I will keep in mind what Deek said about the dread. I will have to think about what Forgotten Flashlight said about the GM. What do you all think about a GM in this list?

The down side. I droped $600 on buying my army and books(that was ina 2 mont time frame). That being said my wife will not let me buy anything else for a long time. The list I posted is all the GK I have. I went into making this list with as many of the GK I have. I will have to play smart to do any good. Thank you all once again. I will REP you all.

#9 ·
Diggums Hammer's advice is very sound. Destroyers and Immortals are your top priorities. And 'crons are one of the lists where taking armour is almost more of a liability than a help. Like someone else said earlier, go ahead and take one, but plan on losing it. I like the TLLC/ML one for this purpose, as if you can get just a few shots off with it, you stand a good chance of eliminating a destroyer squad or several immortals. I never bother shooting at a monolith, unless there are no destroyers or immortals to target. Aim for phase-out, that's your best bet for winning.

As others noted, you want to get into CC as quickly as possible. I've had a single squad of 7 GKs take out more than 30 warriors and immortals -- in three different squads -- on a series of charges, combats, and consolidations. Do be wary of the 'crons rapid fire range, though! Under no circumstances allow yourself to be caught in that deadly 12" range. It's better to remain behind some cover for an extra turn or two if you have to in order to avoid getting shot up by gauss weapons.
AtlantianWarrior said:
HQ

Elite
While normally not necessary in a 1500 pt list, I think a GM would work well for you. Gauss weapons are just about the best firearms in the game, but on the flipside the 'crons have hardly any insta-kill weapons. Take the GM and give him a psycannon if you can. He'll be useful against the 'cron lord and, if the 'cron player is foolish enough, a C'Tan.

Normally, two squads of terminators are way overkill. Better to spend the points on more squads of GKs. DH always needs more numbers than more terminators. But if these are the models you have to work with, well, I guess that's what you have. If you take the GM, I'd drop the elite GKTs, add a termie or two to the HQ retinue, and use any leftover points to improve your inquisitor retinue (see below).
AtlantianWarrior said:
Troops
I'd build one small squad of 5 PAGKs with 2x psycannons as one troops choice and use it as a small firebase. Then build a troops PAGK unit with Justicar and 9 PAGKs. Finally, take the remaining GKs, including the incinerator GK, and make that a FAGK unit. Deep strike 'em where it'll hurt most.
AtlantianWarrior said:
Terminator armour is a waste of points on a shooty inquisitor. You should be making the rest of your army more attractive than these guys, and if the inquisitor and his retinue gets into CC they're dead anyway, pure and simple. Don't bother putting anything but the psycannon and auspex on the inquisitor. The plasma cannon is great, but you really REALLY need 2 sages to prevent it from overheating. Mystics are cheap and good for taking out the necron deep strikers. Another heavy bolter servitor would be handy, too.
AtlantianWarrior said:
Heavy Support
Good! Keep him out of gauss weapon range for as long as you can. Use him to take out destroyers and immortals. Monoliths and C'Tan are secondary targets only.

#10 ·
AtlantianWarrior said:

HQ

Troops

Elite

Heavy Support

Total 1499 pts.
First move is to drop everything thats main priority is to shoot. You will not outshoot the Necrons. Your dred will probably only kill 2 things in the game, and the only vehicle they have is the monolith, which it doesn't have the fire power to effectively deal with. Your Inquisitor will be outmaneuvered by the enemies destroyers and probably destroyed on the first turn, and your psycannons on GK squads lower their hand to hand abililty which is where you can defeat the necron.

For replacing those points I would bring
1) a normal inquisitor with a psycannon and no retinue (cannot be shot and allows you to take an assassin).
2) Full GK squads with no special weapons...having bodies that make it to hand to hand is key, and having them be effective when they get there is nice too.
3)The Callidus Assassin is a real treat from the Necron player. It normally needs a lot of support to be an effective unit in hand to hand, but against the necron it can take some things down because their heavy weapon squads have no obligitory wounds to take before they start losing weapons, are small, and cost a lot of points. If it kills three it makes more than its points back. And the unexpected killer is that it can move the monolith or C'tan back six inches at the start of the game so it takes one more turn to get it into the action, and everyturn you aren't getting hit by an AP3 template, or in hand to hand with a C'tan is a pretty good deal.

On a side note I normally wouldn't bring two termie squads, but against the necron I think it is ok because the Callidus can kill their only AP2 weapons very easily and get some points back. I would however deepstrike them, so make sure to put homers on your PAGK squads, and Psycannons are nice as they will remove the wraiths invulnerable save, and instant kill the scarabs which are what they are going to try to tie you up with, as nothing else in their list does well against terminators.

#11 ·
One last thing, if he includes a C'Tan and a monolith, his troop count's going to be very low, or very high with few specialized units. If you can find out if he's fielding the monolith you can adjust your army accordingly.

#12 ·
The up dated list.

HQ
GM + 3 Termies one with a psycannon 308 pts.

Troops
PAGK Justicar+5 with 2 psycannons 225 pts.
PAGK Justicat+6 200 pts.
PAGK Justicat+6 200 pts.

Elite
GKT BC+4 with incinerator 260 pts.

=][= with Artificer armour and psycannon 70pts

Heavy Support

Total 1473 pts.

Now I have 27 points. It was suggested that I take an Auspex and a Teleport Homer. If I take Matercrafted for The GM's NFW that would make it an even 1500 points.

#13 ·
AtlantianWarrior said:
HQ
GM + 3 Termies one with a psycannon 308 pts.

Elite
GKT BC+4 with incinerator 260 pts.
Considering your model limitations, these are good. If you're tight for points, though, I'd sacrifice the Elite termies, starting with the one carrying an incinerator.
AtlantianWarrior said:
Troops
PAGK Justicar+5 with 2 psycannons 225 pts.
PAGK Justicat+6 200 pts.
PAGK Justicat+6 200 pts.
I must've misread your initial posting. I thought you had more vanilla GKs! Your first order of business is to get blisters of vanilla GKs. Several of them! Use them to replace your Elite GKTs.

However, assuming that isn't going to happen (but make it so ASAP!), you still need to beef up your mobile GK squads (the ones w/o the psycannons) to at least 8 models each. Move one GK from one squad into the other to make it 8 vanilla PAGK. Then throw two GKs with incinerators -- normally you shouldn't take more than one, if even that many -- and make the remaining squad 8 models strong, too. And make it a Fast Attack choice, too, not troops! Always ALWAYS make any GK squads beyond the minimum 2 troops choices Fast Attack, even if you don't intend to deep strike them. You still get to place them last, which is a tactical advantage. However, any GK squads with incinerators should ALWAYS deep strike. It's the best chance you have of earning the points back spent on those expensive and otherwise generally useless special weapons.
AtlantianWarror said:
=][= with Artificer armour and psycannon 70pts
Again, no artificer armour on the inquisitor! Waste of points. Seriously! You really must get two sages for this squad: one to give your inquisitor a better BS, and the other to save your plasma cannon from blowing up. Also get a mystic and another heavy bolter servitor.
AtlantianWarrior said:
Heavy Support
Still good. Just keep your target priorities clear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.