I love terminators! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love terminators!

just wondering how many terminators people use in a 2000pt list, because lately the only thing left on the board at the end of the game are terminators and my justticars, and now I contemplating taking way more terminators. so how many do people take and have them be effective?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kevlarmonkey
    just wondering how many terminators people use in a 2000pt list, because lately the only thing left on the board at the end of the game are terminators and my justticars, and now I contemplating taking way more terminators. so how many do people take and have them be effective?
    i personally am doing a pure GK army, and all i use in termis is a GM with reitnue of 4 of them. they are to costly and then one squad is really enough to handle most armies. i use about 54 Grey knights in my army though since it pur ethough soo....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Ay, i usually use a tooled up GM with a retinue of 4-6. i ususally have at least 1 or 2 termies with thunderhammers and storm shields for big stuff and veichles, AND, i have a LRC which keeps them all nice and cosy until they wreak death and destruction on my enemies!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all,

I to have a BC/GM with a Psycannon & 4-6 Retinue, 1 w/ Th & SS and a 2nd Psycannon.
    An LRC also comes 'em snuggly.

However, I also have an Elite Squad of 6, and when I do include them in a 2000 pointer,
    they do very well indeed.

I don't know about this reducing effectiveness others talk about, and I play 90% of games against World Eaters (Khorne), and they find it bloody hard to kill yhat many Termis.:yes:

So, I for one will not reduce the amount of Termis i field.

They are dear points wise though

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used my mates once under the old rules... D.S turn 6 shot up 6 necrons which wiped out the squad and then assaulted the 12 man squad... And owned them. The necrons then phased out :p... Once I vs a 4 man with a hq guy... 4 plasma cannons and a lasscannon shot on turn 1 well they werent there... Also I had lucky rolling
    Your Signature:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sometimes bring up to 12 GKTs. Unlike what many think, you don't lose too many wounds on that. By bringing 6 GKTs instead of 10 PAGK, you lose 4 wounds. Not enough to unbalance the army.
    What you can suffer from is if you bring many GKT, shooty =]I[=, Assassin, and GM. If you bring multiple squads of GKTs, then you make sure to keep a solid bas of IST and PAGKs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deathwing's army is all termies, if you want to go that way o.O
    Though unnumbered lurking perils await us, our blades will ever be ready.
    FOR WE ARE THE EMPEROR'S VENGEANCE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the input guys. keep them coming. yeah deathwing has its draw, but the GKT are why I started the army. I had been playing 1500 pts with two squads of five termies and then I played a couple of games at 2000pts where I bumped them up to six per squad (total including the BC) and it really seemed to make a difference and now I'm thinking about adding a third six man squad (all with psycannon) I'm going to buy the extras anyways, I was just wondering if anyone else had used that many (or more), and how it went.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

I have never taken more than six terminators in 2000 points (one GM, and BC plus his squad), and have gotten mixed results. I have dominated whole squads, dropped independant charactors like there were hot, and also been killed by Furious Charging assault termies without dealing out a wound. Plus the worst case...a 12 inch scatter roll that took me off the table (10 inches or less in any direction and I would have been fine; was trying to stop a unit from running off the table and my guys missed the table.) I always think about bringing more termies, but I don't want to buy them, and I think FAGKs are just as good; they are more versitile, and I play a lot of Orks where the 8 extra shots are great while the save is the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

I've tried both extremes (using 20+ terminators, using a Hero alone or none at all) and just about everything in between. For my play style, at least, I find that fewer GKT is the way to go. In 2000pts, I usually go with a BroCap & 3-4 GKT or just a solo BroCap to enable Dreadnoughts.

I've found that a 10 man PAGK/FAGK unit is always a better bet than a 5 man GKT unit, which costs about the same. Twice the wounds, twice the models for combat resolution/outnumbering, twice the stormbolter attacks, 10 more melee attacks (granted, they aren't power weapons, but they're still S6), and True Grit. I tend to take 2-3 full squads of FAGK before moving on to any GKT units.

When I used larger GKT squads (8-10), I found that they were overkill. They'd get into assault and usually kill everything in B2B contact with them and have inflicted even more wounds that remained unused. Smaller GKT units, say 5-6, will win combat just as often but won't have so many wasted wounds inflicted.

When I used more GKT squads (3+), I found that my army was too top-heavy. Not enough wounds for the game sizes, really. The GKT units would get swamped and outnumbered, sometimes even recieveing extra wounds from the Fearless/outnumbered rules. And taking/holding objectives? Try it when you have fewer squads on the table than there are objectives!

This is, of course, all for my own style of play. I know some people have had great success with large GKT units and/or multiple GKT units. But I've never seen it myself.

+ Reply to Thread