LRC tactics - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LRC tactics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LRC tactics

I've just put together my first LRC and I'm really excited about fielding this huge moving bunker There are a few questions about I have though before I field it:

1) You can only move 6' to fire everything. I have the understanding that if you move over 6' you can't fire anything on it since it's a "tank", is this right? And the hurricane bolters are now a "defensive weapon" so it can't always fire like in the old rules?

2) If you can only move 6' and fire then is it really that good of a transport? I need to get those termies into combat and tearing the enemy in half as soon as possible (and DS assault termies means they'll be shot at for at least 1 turn as opposed to smashing the centre of the enemy lines.) If you then move 12' then you loose the shooting, and that's a lot of fire power to not use.

3) Someone told me to field it as a slow moving fire platform. Would that be a bad idea? It would totally give up on the transport ability and just have it lumber around shooting anything in sight. Since you don't have to transport anything then you don't have to worry about getting troops into combat and you can just concentrate on one thing, (shooting the enemy,) rather than 2 (shooting the enemy AND tranporting troops).

Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Black Templars 3000 points
    Tau Empire 1750 points
    Tyranids 1500 points

Hordes of Chaos *Coming soon*

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad BAD idea! Do not use it as a slow moving fire platform. I've had to psyke myself out several times to get over the wanton desire to just lay waste with Crusader hell...that isn't the point of the thing TRUST me on this.

There are a few weapons out there that can pop an LRC. I know. However, what you wanna do with one of those is grab your nuggets and just haul tail. Load it up with assaulty death and rush it up to where you wanna deploy at. Don't slow down to shoot, don't piddle about, get it there and deploy.

Once you've done that your gold. Most of your opponents will be more worried about what came OUT of your LRC than the LRC itself. Leaving you almost free to deal death with the beast. Use it as mobile heavy infantry support once you deploy its payload.

If your LRC lasts until it deploys, it'll survive the battle 9 times out of 10 in my experience. Yes I know...things can pop it, and blah de blah, but you'd be suprised how much fire that badboy can take and not die. Leaving your other units free to do what they please. I love my LRC, best transport ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Grimm
    Bad BAD idea! Do not use it as a slow moving fire platform. I've had to psyke myself out several times to get over the wanton desire to just lay waste with Crusader hell...that isn't the point of the thing TRUST me on this.

There are a few weapons out there that can pop an LRC. I know. However, what you wanna do with one of those is grab your nuggets and just haul tail. Load it up with assaulty death and rush it up to where you wanna deploy at. Don't slow down to shoot, don't piddle about, get it there and deploy.

Once you've done that your gold. Most of your opponents will be more worried about what came OUT of your LRC than the LRC itself. Leaving you almost free to deal death with the beast. Use it as mobile heavy infantry support once you deploy its payload.

If your LRC lasts until it deploys, it'll survive the battle 9 times out of 10 in my experience. Yes I know...things can pop it, and blah de blah, but you'd be suprised how much fire that badboy can take and not die. Leaving your other units free to do what they please. I love my LRC, best transport ever.
    Grimm is so correct!! i have had my crusader for a month or so now and it kicks ass! i face a lot of army that have great guns like tau, and i has only died once so far. it just keeps going! :w00t: last battle my friend sent about 3 or 4 shots with his lascannon on his dread into it: only destoryed some weapons. after that he ran into close combat with it. it still didnt die. finally by the last turn he immobilized it! i like to load 8 assault terms in and crush anything in my way. crusaders are beast-they can rape alot of stuff and live.
    the only downsides are they cost alot of points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so transport it is! But what about the shooting questions I had?
    Black Templars 3000 points
    Tau Empire 1750 points
    Tyranids 1500 points

Hordes of Chaos *Coming soon*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't bother going only 6''. Rush that sucker max distance until you get it where it needs to be. Yes you can't shoot if you go more than 6'', but once you offload that payload, you're cleaning house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

Load it up with 7 assault termiesd and a chaplain, rush it towards the enemy's lines the first and second turn, unload the termies and assault. Next turn move 6 inches and fire every thing you have into an enemy unit! If you have the points, the storm bolter upgrade might not be a bad idea. I love this behemoth in my black templar army, it rarely fails me.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Sighs, anyone want to invest 700+ points in a termie/chaplain/LRC bomb deserves all they get IMHO, sure the LRC may take a lot before it goes down, but it may not and in either case the 700 points you have spent on this thing can be used by your opponent to get a lot of AT

However, if you must go down this route, and I have tried it for my Death wing, then I would advise the following:

your LRC has 2 purposes:

1 - main primary purpose is as a delivery system - get up there as fast as your little tracjs can carry you
    2 - Secondary purpose - can include the second turn of movement - fire support, once you have dropped off our little TDA wearing loons, start firing away like the blazes, try and keep moving, no point in making it easy for your opponent, but shoot everything
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the idea only DOSENT work when your being a fool and drive it in one of 2 directions, at an enemy with an AT weapon that can kill it because odds are it will kill it... or you move it near things that have AT in it.

i used this combo in a local tourny and i used it on the flanks and swathed infantry units on the side and how would you say... squad hoped down the table. sure the land raider was destroyed in the 3rd turn but the termies did ther job.

you dont have to use terminators... a 14 man crusader squad with a chaplain is good. it is just as effective because you have twice as many wounds and alot more attacks, but you dont have the lighting claws, however, it is less exspensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Reflex
    the idea only DOSENT work when your being a fool and drive it in one of 2 directions, at an enemy with an AT weapon that can kill it because odds are it will kill it... or you move it near things that have AT in it.

i used this combo in a local tourny and i used it on the flanks and swathed infantry units on the side and how would you say... squad hoped down the table. sure the land raider was destroyed in the 3rd turn but the termies did ther job.

you dont have to use terminators... a 14 man crusader squad with a chaplain is good. it is just as effective because you have twice as many wounds and alot more attacks, but you dont have the lighting claws, however, it is less exspensive.
    ? The majority of decent players will have AT options in all their armies, equally you dont ahve to get near 3 preditor annihs for 6 las cannons and 2 TLLCs which cost half its points to hit you.

It sounds like you were lucky both to only get one battle in a tourney and to have it survive to turn 3

Yes you are correct there the Chappy termie bomb is the classic but you can throw in sword bretheran, veteran assault squad, honour guard, blood claws, or your prefered assault unit of choice
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine
    ? The majority of decent players will have AT options in all their armies, equally you dont ahve to get near 3 preditor annihs for 6 las cannons and 2 TLLCs which cost half its points to hit you.

It sounds like you were lucky both to only get one battle in a tourney and to have it survive to turn 3

Yes you are correct there the Chappy termie bomb is the classic but you can throw in sword bretheran, veteran assault squad, honour guard, blood claws, or your prefered assault unit of choice
    i guess what i am saying is that the majority of players that use the combo of 7 termies + a chaplain just think its going to take care of itself and have no clue in how to actualy use it. its quite funny to watch :sleep:

i can honestly say i dont reccomend using it unless you can actually use it right.

i have seen it been used in 1000 points at my local hobby store and its just a waste.
    Last edited by Reflex; July 11th, 2006 at 12:06.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast