Your Librarain? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your Librarain?

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Your Librarain?

When your making a librarain, how do you pay for your powers? (with an Epistolary)

Lets assume you want to powers, neither are Storm of the Emperors rather, just for ease, lets assume it fear of the darkness and Veil of time.

A) You pay the cheaper price to upgrade the storm of the emperors wrath power, and select the most expensive power at that points, in this case veil of time. Next you buy fear of the darkness at the epistolary price.

You pay both epistolary prices, for each power.

C) Like A, except that you pay the more expensive power second. Ie you pay the cheap version of fear of the darkness, and the more expensive version of Veil of Time.

D) you dont buy powers :wacko:

Ignore D.

So which is the proper way to buy librarain power.

Please read the second above the librarain powers page, to refresh you memories on how librarains buy powers.

Thanks for comments in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

To be honest: I experienced the same insecurity about that and stepped out of the problems way by fielding Codiciers (actually only including them in lists. Never had a Libby battle yet). One list (that hasn't seen battle either) though includes an Epistolary who was composed using method A: i.e. paying the lower cost for the "better" power and the higher cost for the "not so good" power. This might of course be wishful thinking, but reviewing the rules for Codiciers this seems to be the only fair way for me.
    However: the wording of the rules proposes, that a Codicier can exchange his power, whilst an Epistolary can only buy an additional one, always having SotEW as their "first" power. This makes them pretty weak, though, especially since you buy the second power at ridiculously high costs! I don't think it is really meant the way the words make it seem...

So: I clearly opt for method A. Not (only) because it is the most advantageous, but because it appears the most logical and fair to me. But it's an opinion. Not more.

Edit: method C would be fine, too. Although it gets more expensive, at least it still makes sense. While method B makes Epistolaries really seem a stupid choice over their weaker and WAAAY cheaper brethren.
    Last edited by Red Archer; July 12th, 2006 at 00:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just go with whatever gives me the most amount of points to work with in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

It seems i see most lists paying both expensive powers on the librarains with 3 wounds.

Perhaps it doesnt have to be so hanously expensive, thanks for the replies, more replies would be nice.

However: the wording of the rules proposes, that a Codicier can exchange his power, whilst an Epistolary can only buy an additional one, always having SotEW as their "first" power.
    Well, it says any librarain may - i take this to mean both types.

Peace
    Last edited by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar; July 12th, 2006 at 00:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar
    When your making a librarain, how do you pay for your powers? (with an Epistolary)

Lets assume you want to powers, neither are Storm of the Emperors rather, just for ease, lets assume it fear of the darkness and Veil of time.

A) You pay the cheaper price to upgrade the storm of the emperors wrath power, and select the most expensive power at that points, in this case veil of time. Next you buy fear of the darkness at the epistolary price.

You pay both epistolary prices, for each power.

C) Like A, except that you pay the more expensive power second. Ie you pay the cheap version of fear of the darkness, and the more expensive version of Veil of Time.

D) you dont buy powers :wacko:

Ignore D.

So which is the proper way to buy librarain power.

Please read the second above the librarain powers page, to refresh you memories on how librarains buy powers.

Thanks for comments in advance

For what it's worth, I've always used method "C".

Seems like we've had this discussion on here before somewhere as I was wondering the same thing about a year ago when I first started kicking around the idea of using a librarian in my army.

Check around the rules forum maybe? I don't know, but I could swear I read on LO somewhere that "C" was supported in some way or another (Rulez boyz, etc.) by GW.

I could be wrong though- it's been awhile.
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i get the first power on the lower cost, to replace whatever it is that the librarian starts with. then i get another power at full cost for my librarian. makes sense to me, doesn't mean it's right though:shifty: .

just a side note: has anyone weilded a librarian with a jump pack to any effect with vortex of doom?
    Ok fellows we have a difficult task, so we have to be more deadly than everyday.
    Make mistakes and confuse the enemy - The Doctor
    Tactics are nice but it is violence that wins the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to your side note vulcan yes i stuck him in an assault squad the force wep really helps alot too as most armies send out their hq's to deal with this squad

the codex states that the first price is for a codicer and the dearer is for the epostilary, you donot get points back when you choose to give up the standard power a codicer must replace it for 1 power at full codicer price and an epolistory must replace it with 1 power at full epolistary price to which he may buy a second at epolistary price
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

I pay for the more expensive power 1st, then the 2nd.

What's the sense in taking FotA & VoD for 33pts when you can do the same for 19?

But I usually take an Epistolary for the extra Ld point & wound, not another power unless I'm bored and have a lot of pts left over.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x8)

What's the sense in taking FotA & VoD for 33pts when you can do the same for 19?
    Game balance, accurate understand of the rules?

It seems that a combination of A and C are how librarains should be crafted.

Pick which ever power you want to replace storm of the emperors wrath (including not replaceing it), at the lower point cost, then pick a second power, as you see fit, at the higher cost.

Thanks everyone.

+ Reply to Thread