Sword Bretheren - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sword Bretheren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sword Bretheren

Does nobody use the Sword Bretheren from Black Templars? I have a BT army with a squad of them that I have yet to use...they seem to just never make priority over other models. Does anyone else ever have this problem or are Sword Bretheren squads really something I SHOULD be using more often?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's more of a personal choice for me, but I know what you mean. I never seem to use them myself, as my Chaplain's Assault Terminators usually trump them. Though they CAN do some pretty keen things. Just never make it to the table for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Loestal
    Does nobody use the Sword Bretheren from Black Templars? I have a BT army with a squad of them that I have yet to use...they seem to just never make priority over other models. Does anyone else ever have this problem or are Sword Bretheren squads really something I SHOULD be using more often?
    in my opinion, i am not a big fan of sword bretheren. right off the bat they are 3 more points than a regular crusader (for no extra stats i think?) but they can be nice. you have more options for them than regular marines like lightning claws. and they can take special skills. i have fantasized about making a 8-10 squad with infiltrate and gives them some tank hunting weapons or combat weapons. that would be great if you get first turn. if not, they are pretty much screwed and wont do anything. i dont know what other skills you can give to them (dont have my codex handy) but i think they have counter-attack and tank hunters too? they have never really worked that great for me but they have their advantages. its really your opinion and experience: if they have kicked a$$ then keep them, if not drop 'em.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

They're just like Space Marine Veterans, and should probably follow the same general guidelines for being used effectively. True, they have the Black Templar special rules, but I'm sure that most of the things suggested in the Veteran Tactica still apply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's my problem, I never feel confident enough in them to put them in when I can put something else in their spot. For starters...a squad of what...5 doesn't really blow my skirt up. Sure, lightning claws and all that, but unless you at least get a squad of 10 I can't see a point to it. Sure, some of the special skills are good...but again I have a problem with the squad sizes and I really don't know if I wanna drop more money on tooled up tactical marines. I'm just trying to find a reason to take them when I can field other things that have proven their worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They can take furious charge, infiltrate, tank hunter and I belive counterattack. Not sure. Yeah they're basically a squad of vets. Infiltrating squads with heavy weapons are not to be laughed at, I just seem to always pick something else over them. I like to think of the Sword Bretheren and the BT Dreads as the anti tank of the BTs as almost everyone else is CC happy. Meh. 20 man Crusader squads are the meat and potatoes of a BT army, Sword Bretheren end up being a neat fluffy addition when I can afford it. (Which up to now has been exactly never.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Grimm
    They can take furious charge, infiltrate, tank hunter and I belive counterattack. Not sure. Yeah they're basically a squad of vets. Infiltrating squads with heavy weapons are not to be laughed at, I just seem to always pick something else over them. I like to think of the Sword Bretheren and the BT Dreads as the anti tank of the BTs as almost everyone else is CC happy. Meh. 20 man Crusader squads are the meat and potatoes of a BT army, Sword Bretheren end up being a neat fluffy addition when I can afford it. (Which up to now has been exactly never.)

Well If I were to try the infiltrating Sword Bretheren...would you think getting another box of them would be wise...making the squad larger and up the survivalbility?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For starters...a squad of what...5 doesn't really blow my skirt up. Sure, lightning claws and all that, but unless you at least get a squad of 10 I can't see a point to it.
    I agree completely. Besides, if you want claws....assault terminators are 1000 times better, and you can rock a squad of 10 (8 being preferred for LRC transportation but STILL better) Sure they cost more, but IMO they'd get a hell of a lot more done then the Sword Bretheren. On top of that, BT Terminators are CONSIDERED Sword Bretheren in the fluff anyhow, so...yeah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well If I were to try the infiltrating Sword Bretheren...would you think getting another box of them would be wise...making the squad larger and up the survivalbility?
    if your going to get them, get more than 5. at least 7 but i like squads of 9 or 10. i dont like small squads - they can get chewed up and spit out really fast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asking the wrong joe there. I don't see the real point of them. As you said. I only see them as a "pretty fluffy unit", nothing more. The army I field just doesn't make allowances for them. They are a waste of points in my list, that I'm not willing to replace, but may add in higher point games for that extra fluff (when one unit really doesn't impact the overall makeup ie: 2000+)

2 20 man Crusader Squads
    1 7 man Assault Terminator Squad w/LRC
    1 Terminator MOS
    1 EC
    (The occasional tank annihilating Ven Dred Multimelta (drop podded)

This list just doesn't have a place for Sword Bretheren. I just look at them and see "Wow, nice story...meh."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast