Cities of death - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cities of death

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Cities of death

well, after reading all of the great tactics articles onlinefor cities of death, i noticed that there is none so far for daemonhunters. I have yet to get my hands on a copy of the codex, but i think it would still be good if we could compile our knowledge of cities of death, especially for the Medusa V campaign.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Practical Experience: 1500 pts vs Death Guard

I played my first CoD game -- 1500 pts -- last week against my friend's Death Guard, my first ever battle against Chaos, if you can believe it. (He's only ever played his 'nids since I've known him, and nobody else has Chaos.) Check out the battle report (Daemonhunters v Death Guard, 1500 pts, Cities of Death) for background behind my comments here. (Short summary: I lost, but not by much.)

Firstly, we both really really liked the way CoD changes the basic game. We won't want to play CoD games all the time, but we agreed that it's a great way to spice things up. It really encourages you to get up close to enemy and fight dirty. Victory points are almost never employed, it's objectives only. Furthermore, squads count as scoring units so long as you still have 25% strength, so your tactics become quite different. You're far more willing to risk your troops to win an objective.

As I noted in the battle report, I think the best thing to do in CoD is to keep as many troops on the table as possible. I may not deep strike even my GKTs. There's always cover to be had, so it's not necessarily as risky as usual to walk strike them. Although I suffered greatly from ordnance, that was largely because he had a lucky hit and indirect fire. Otherwise, I had positioned my troops such that nothing he had could draw line of sight, and that is true for CoD in general. You should be able to control line of sight to your advantage most of the time. Play cautiously, until you are ready to assault, then be quick and bring as much force to bear as you can.

Shooting is still effective, despite all the cover. In fact, my assualts would never have worked if I hadn't concentrated so much fire on the squads sitting in the buildings I attempted to take. I even nearly wiped out a squad below scoring unit status just from the shooting from my GKTs! Storm bolters dish out a lot of shots, and I was generally able to outshoot my opponent even though I was outnumbered the entire game. GKs rawk!

Strategems are key. Two of the ones I took I will probably take again. I liked preliminary bombardment. Even though it only cost him a couple of models and the movement of one of his Rhinos, it made a big difference, as that was one of the squads I nearly clobbered from shooting. Also, the combat engineers strategem is invaluable. It gave my PAGKs a round of cover saves, which saved them from defiler pie plate death on one turn! I will definitely take it every game.

And what more can I say about GKs? Again, they dished out more damage than they took, more than earning their points back. They are awesome troops for CoD, especially with combat engineers. I walked them all over the place, survived a collapsed building and tons of concentrated fire, and still managed to come out on top of them. Definitely include as many GKs as you can in your CoD games! They are the jack-of-all-trades units in the game of 40K.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Senior Member JuliusGaiusCaesar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree with Number6 on Combat engineers, it seems like the best stratagem to me. However, i don't realy see too much value in preliminary bombardment. I will have to try it though. For smaller games where combat engineers may not be very useful, I really like the power generator stratagem. Rerolling failed to wounds wth SBs is simply great, instead of wounding half the time, you wound 3/4 of the time, which is better even than a 3+ to wound. In CoD, volume of firepower is more important than Strength and ap, so stormbolters are one of the best basic weapons you can have. All of the Buildings stratagems seem pretty decent, but would be more useful in smaller games rather than larger.
    Et imperator Invocato Diabolus Daemonica Exorcist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost always (if its Gamma and above) take the Medical facility and place it where the shooty inquisitor goes...

That way you can a squad with 4+ cover save and then another 4+ save (well not always)... means that it will be really hard for anyone to take you down to the actual heavy weapon models.

I played a standard game tonight vs Eldar and found out that the threat of a Psycannon, 2 HB and a Plasma cannon with rerolls makes ANYONE hit that squad and some times ignore Grey Knights until they get close (his reasoning was that the Inq unit was the only thing that could kill his 2 WraithLords from a distance and Knights have shrouding which protects them occasionnaly)...

So slowly but inevitably they did all die... had I taken Medical in a cityfight most would still have kept firing even in turn 5 and 6.

So for me Medical is a must.
    pr
    Then I would probably go for demolition or Wreckers (since I ussually field 2 dreads) if its a mission with building they need to keep... and set the explosion for round 4 or 5... that way you know that someone is gonna be there and most likely it will be him (if its in one of his closeby buidlings)...

Of course the remaining stratagem would be combat engineers or against armies with many units (like impirial guard) preliminary bombardment because you are bound to get some sixes (and I certainly wouldnt mind stunning some tanks)...

On the other hand... Sewer Rats has an appeal for me... it basically allows you to deepstrike whoever you want without scattering wherever you want on the board (cause u choose where to place the sewers and a good roll you get a hefty amount).

+ Reply to Thread