Witch Hunters Inquisitor Lord - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member The vampire Lestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Witch Hunters Inquisitor Lord

I've been playing a pure Sister of Battle army for a while but I have all the models availible to play almost any combination of Witch Hunters army, and with all those models gathering dust in my box I started wondering why I don't use the other side of the Witch Hunter Codex.

The simple answer was, I can't seem to make the Inquisitor Lord work, or more precisely the retinue of the Inquisitor Lord. The biggest problem for me is the 3-12 limit on retinue, being forced to take that retinue just makes him more vulnerable by removing his ability to hide from shooting with the Independant character rule, and so the small retinue that I am forced to take is also forced to become a large retinue to avoid being slaughtered, thereby removing cost efficiency and giving me a large and somewhat pathetic unit (for its cost).

The major threats against this unit are many (heavy bolters topping the list) and its victims are scarce, but I want to take an Inquisitor army so that means no Cannoness/Palantine and a Priest doesn't count towards your HQ slots, so how to make the Inquisitor Lord retinue work?

By the way, I can make the Inquisitor pretty good, but the advice I need is soley on retinue and I perfer not to have to buy a Landraider for them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Well there's a few ways you can do this. You can take the choice of making him shooty or combat based. I would advise shooty since they models don't fair too well in combat and are over priced for that kind of ability.

Combat Based:

The cheeky thing about this squad is that the majority save here is the 4+ invulnurable, so if a squad shot at them they would always get a save.

Inquisitor Lord: Power weapon, Pistol, Rosarius
    Crusader
    Crusader
    Crusader
    Acolyte: Carapace armour, Power weapon (las pistol already incuded in profile)

Shooting Based:

With a shooting based squad you can go one of two ways. A common one would be just to have the inquisitor lord with heavy gun servitors (These would be heavy bolters and Plasma cannon) and function as a long range support. Advantage would be adding vital long range firepower which the army has little of. (You could even add a Chimera in it just for a little Extra firepower). The disadvantage is that the squad is subject to be fixed in a certain position for most the game and could get picked off by faster units.

Inquisitor Lord: Storm Bolter
    Warrior: Heavybolter
    Warrior: Heavybolter
    Warrior: Plasmacannon
    Sage
    Sage

Less common would be to find the inquisitor himself in a transport with a squad armed with special weaponary, they work just to get up to the opponents tougher creatures and give them a nice volley of plasma rounds, very potent easpeicially at rapid fire. Such Creatures may include terminators, monsterous creatures, power armour, battle suits etc.:

Inquisitor Lord: Master-crated Combi-Plasmagun
    Warrior: Plasmagun
    Warrior: Plasmagun
    Warrior: plasmagun
    Acolyte: Combi-Plasmgun
    Rhino Transport: Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers

I like this one the most since it offers the speed to ensure the squad gets rapid fire and the chassis of the transport protects the frail unit.

In General:

Overall when compared to ability an effect Inquisitor Lord and Retinue will cost too much for what they do. But they are fun to have and it's good to see the underrated squad kill the opponents supposed Elite troopers.
    Last edited by Heiromyo; July 15th, 2006 at 15:30.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

inquisiters are a heavily dbated subject here personally they work for me and i love em i have a cc orientated hq killer and it has done it's job plus some in the space of 3 games it has killed a archaon and incubi ret, 5 reaper jetbikes and a humunculi on jetbike, kharne the betrayer (force weps rock!) and his ret of 15 chosen and 1 havoc (the ret was wiped out in the battle before and the =][= only had 1 wound left) 2 smurf chappys with respective command squads and a single dev (theres a pattern here with heavy wep squads i should look into more)

before anyone asks it is a proper squad sitting around 260 points all up including chimera transport and inquisiters are an all or nothing unit you either spend around this amount of points or they simply won't perform period

ohh by the by the heiro your cc squad is a lil weak ya need to add 2 chirgeons, 1 familiar and the inquis would be better with a force wep, your shooty one the inquis should not have a storm b he should have standard equip at least the equivelant of your original cc based =][= also 2 chirgeons the =][= should take scourging and 3 acolytes with storm bs would be good, your plasma squad is cool but again 2 chirgeons (especially with plasma) 2 sages and change rhino to chimera

my oppinion if your gonna take a transport then take a chimera cus 1, it is only a few extra points and the shear amount of firpower is very useful 2, it's cheaper than a raider and can transport pretty much the same number 3, it looks so damn cool
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

Add this to the list...

Anti Psyker

Inquisitor Lord: MC Bolter-stake crossbow, psi-tracker

Alcolyte: Bolter-Stake Crossbow

Sage
    Sage

2 BS5 Anti psyker shots with a re roll just in case, then 6 more at BS3 with 2 more re-rolls.

I've used this against bugs before..... its quite fun
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Plague_00
    inquisiters are a heavily dbated subject here personally they work for me and i love em i have a cc orientated hq killer and it has done it's job plus some in the space of 3 games it has killed a archaon and incubi ret, 5 reaper jetbikes and a humunculi on jetbike, kharne the betrayer (force weps rock!) and his ret of 15 chosen and 1 havoc (the ret was wiped out in the battle before and the =][= only had 1 wound left) 2 smurf chappys with respective command squads and a single dev (theres a pattern here with heavy wep squads i should look into more)

ohh by the by the heiro your cc squad is a lil weak ya need to add 2 chirgeons, 1 familiar and the inquis would be better with a force wep, your shooty one the inquis should not have a storm b he should have standard equip at least the equivelant of your original cc based =][= also 2 chirgeons the =][= should take scourging and 3 acolytes with storm bs would be good, your plasma squad is cool but again 2 chirgeons (especially with plasma) 2 sages and change rhino to chimera
    Wow....thats quite a kill count for a inquisital unit. Oh my ideas were a basis of a concept....I wasn't meant to tell him for certain what to go for. I find that if you give the most basic of ideas to a concept it opens up a players mind better as he/she adds their own ideas on top.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay what I ussually do makes him a full unit... but I believe it is worth it if you can place him in any elevated position with some cover.

First of why not take a DH inquisitor if you have a spare HQ slot? That way he can have a psycannon.

Inquisitor Lord + Psycannon
    3 x Acolytes (bolter)
    2 x Gun Servitors (Heavy Bolte)
    1 x Gun Servitor (Plasma Cannon)
    2 x Sages
    2 x Mystic
    2 x Familiar

This way you basically have 7 models to soak up wounds (mystics, familiars, acolytes) and if in cover they can even get the save) while always keeping your range of 36 inches and doing loads of anti-infantry damage and the possibility to kill up to AV13 tanks.

Off course this unit costs 241 points but I find it works... noone ever has managed to kill them especially with the new cityfight rules. I mean I ussually place them in a high building and give that building the medical facility rule (4+ save for cover and then 4+ for Feel no pain!! ).That way you can ensure that you have almost minimal casualties! Even if they got assaulted they can do some damage fighting back and can also outnumber the enemy!

Last game against the Tau this unit killed his deepstriking commander and his retinue as well as 3 broadsides and a devilfish... basically I just left them to guard the entire left flank and they did an awesome job out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The vampire Lestat
    The simple answer was, I can't seem to make the Inquisitor Lord work, or more precisely the retinue of the Inquisitor Lord. The biggest problem for me is the 3-12 limit on retinue, being forced to take that retinue just makes him more vulnerable by removing his ability to hide from shooting with the Independant character rule, and so the small retinue that I am forced to take is also forced to become a large retinue to avoid being slaughtered, thereby removing cost efficiency and giving me a large and somewhat pathetic unit (for its cost)
    No offense to those that have responded, but there is an "optimal" configuration for a shooty retinue. The goal is to use Chirurgeons (and cover) to keep the squad intact as long as possible).

It looks like this:

Inquisitor Lord (Carapace Armor*, Bolter, Psychic Hood, sometimes a Liber Heresius)**
    - 1-3 Acolyte (Carapace Armor, Bolter)
    - 2 Chirurgeons
    - 3 Heavy Bolter Servitors
    - nothing else. no, don't be tempted to take sages, etc. in a WH retinue. nothing else.

* Yes, you pay 5pts to make his 3+ armor save a 4+ save. You read that right, you pay points to make his save worse. Why? Because you have to put wounds on him to make Chirurgeons and Acolytes work. If he's not in majority armor type, then you can't put wounds on him. Trust me; you'll be happy in the long run.

** I really don't put much gear on my Inquisitor Lords. His real purpose is to allow me to take Assassins and Servitors. If I expect psykers, I'll take a Psychic Hood. If I expect a weird board setup, I'll take a Liber Heresius. I've been known to take a psychic power once or twice, but only out of boredom.

So what do you get out of this? You get a tough as nails mini-devastator squad that deploys as an HQ (i.e., late in deployment) and, if you put them in cover, they will last FOREVER.

If shot at regularly the squad will take 1-3 wounds per turn (depending on your opponent's priorities -- I have found that enemies rarely shoot at this unit more than twice). That means in an average game, you'll face 12 wounds over 6 turns. Now let's look at wound allocation:
    1. First wound each turn is negated by Chirurgeon (each turn). So that means you have 6 wounds to allocate over 6 turns.
    2. Next wound goes on an Acolyte. The Acolyte doesn't have to be in LOS as long as the Inquisitor Lord is.
    3. Next wound goes on an Acolyte (until you are out of Acolytes).
    4. The next two wounds go on the Inquisitor Lord (so far the squad has taken 6+ wounds without losing a single HB Shot).
    5. It isn't until the end that you start to take HB wounds. In games where I have a Book of St Lucius nearby, I've been known to kill my Inquisitor before I lose a single HB (but that's rare -- I usually want to retain his victory points).

If you don't believe me -- give it a try. I've been using this configuration for a long time. It works great as an Elite version too (giving me 2 Canoness, Elite Inquisitor, an Eversor and 3 DCAs in my 2000pt list...).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Plague_00
    ...in the space of 3 games it has killed ...kharne the betrayer (force weps rock!) and his ret of 15 chosen...
    I'm struggling with this one. Please do tell the story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he he it was an ally game my =][= and ret charged in at the same time as my friends seer counsel he struck first but decided to go after the psyckers first (ha ha heactually said what possible threat could an =][= pose to kharne the betrayer in cc) he killed a couple of them and next in the ini order was me and boom 3 hits 2 wounds and a lotta psy power left only the smoking corpse of the betrayer realising his mistake made his chosen target the ret (was afraid of more hidden nastiness) managed to kill em all and take 2 wounds off the =][= himself however the seers miracoulously deal with the rmaining leaving my =][= to limp off and engage his havocs it actually was a turning point in the battle the havocs weren't able to fire for 2 turns leaving our tanks relatively unopposed for a while
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These just poped into my head...

Acolytelasma gun
    Acolyteower armour
    Acolyteower armour

Idk what the power armour costs, cuz my book is at a friends...but if it's only 10 pts...storm bolter/bolter would be good fo the power armour ppl...

-The God of all Machines
    W/D/L
    -Imperial:50/2/10
    -Non-Imperial:10/1/4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast