IG Freindly 1000 pts, unbeatable? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IG Freindly 1000 pts, unbeatable?

Doctrines:

Light infantry
    close order drill
    iron will

HQ:

command platoon
    Junior Officer with bolter and crew

Troops:
    platoon1
    command squad

Infantry squad with plasma+9lasguns
    Infantry squad with plasma+9lasguns

platoon2
    command squad

Infantry squad with melta+9lasguns
    Infantry squad with melta+9lasguns

Fast Attack:

Sentinel with lascannon
    Sentinel with lascannon

Heavy support:

LemonRuss with Hull lascannon and HB sponsons

total:1006 points
    summary: 55 guys 5 armour = 60 models total

With three russes tearing up everything and 2 sentinels for tank hunting, and 55 guardsmen to try and take obstacles, i think this list exploits the guards strength's. Give me some input on this list, i need some constructive critisism

Pokerface of Guard

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

I'm saying no. It's an ok list but it's nowhere near unbeatable (don't even bother with the word. If there was an unbeatable army then GW would be out of a job).

With very little in the way of anti tank I'm saying you'd get raped by a Fish of Fury list. Your reliance on tanks also leaves me worried if you face off agains necrons. Remember a shaken result is al they need to stop you shooting so they can chew up your soldiers.
    Last edited by Triumph Of Man; July 16th, 2006 at 15:15.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Monkey Pirate Greenbeard The Ex-pirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

technicly this post should be under the army list section, you'll get more replies there. Yah its farf rom unbeatable. While the Russes chave the ablility to kill tanks its by far not what they are suited for. Necrons, mech Tau, A Saim Hian Vyper army, probally armored companies, Ravonwing armies, all these will either beat you on a regularly or give you a hell of a hard time. While having three Russes it may be overing doing just a tad. If you scrap a Russ you can add more heavy weapons and maybe a sentinal, which will help round your army out a bit.
    Rheagar fought nobly
    Rheagar fought valiantly
    Rheagar fought honorably
    And Rheagar died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should have stopped reading as soon as someone wrote "is this list unbeatable?"

As already pointed out, the play balance inherent in WH40K means no army is unbeatable...and your army list (IMHO) only counts for perhaps 40% of your overall strategic thought. How you deploy, manuever, and direct fire from your forces is also a large factor in victory/defeat.

Finally, since you are rolling dice to determine the outcome (adding the element of chance), no one is unbeatable...period. Since the game is set-up in a simplistic way with no way to win back the initiative from an opponent, many games become lopsided on the 1st turn of a game when someone wins the right to move and shoot first. I have wiped and been wiped off the board in the 1st turn. Of course, realizing that is a possibility, you can deploy your forces in such a way as to minimize those effects...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask yourself...do you really need 3 russes in a 1K list? Take out one or two, and add a bassilisk and give your squads HWs.
    Chuck Norris wouldn't stand a chance against Tana Umaga.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 40k, we can be unbeatable by playing list hammer, as seenby the infamous tyranid listhammer uber list. This is not even close to unbeatable though. Your reliance on tanks is poor, and as soon as they go down (other armies should have a very good amount of anti-armour) your left with very fragile sentinels and men, and the sentinels won't last long either, so there goes your anti-armour. The only thing on a Russ for anti-armour is the lascannon, as the battlecannon can be useful, but I find it works much better on infantry. Oh, and don't be so happy for 60 models in 1k points, I have 85....

Your command squads are pointless and they seem just thrown in for the sake of the requirement. No special weapons besides a bolter, which means they help a bit with the leadership ability of the officer but that isn't good enough. You need to focus them on either Ld support, or weapon support.

No heavy weapons in your infantry squads is also a no-no, they can be nice n cozy when people are shooting at them and you take out regular infantry men instead. Why are you even using meltaguns in a squad, the range is so poor for anti-tank.

+ Reply to Thread