Righteous Zeal: Blessing or curse? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Righteous Zeal: Blessing or curse?

Is the Righteous Zeal rule for the Black Templars a blessing or a curse?

On a different note, another question I have is can the RZ move take you into combat? I was playing recently and I had a squad move their RZ move into the enemy. My opponent said that counts as us in combat and I don't get the +1A for charging or Lintanies of Hate since I had a Chaplin in the squad. Is this correct?

Black Templars 3000 points
    Tau Empire 1750 points
    Tyranids 1500 points

Hordes of Chaos *Coming soon*

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by C'Tan Pooky
    Is the Righteous Zeal rule for the Black Templars a blessing or a curse?

On a different note, another question I have is can the RZ move take you into combat? I was playing recently and I had a squad move their RZ move into the enemy. My opponent said that counts as us in combat and I don't get the +1A for charging or Lintanies of Hate since I had a Chaplin in the squad. Is this correct?
    I don't have the energy to go into a lot of detail, so I'll just say that Zeal can be both good and bad for the Templars.

You do NOT count as charging if you make contact with the enemy with a Zeal move, so recieve none of the benefits and/or drawbacks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I look at it as a curse for the Templar player, though I've only fought against templar once.
    The RZ pulled the squad my Bikes were shooting at out of their protective cover and into the open where during the assault phaze I annihilated the whole squad without any losses.

In that instance I see it as a curse but if getting into CC as fast as possible is a good idea, like against a IG army then, yeah, I can see that as an advantage.

Though basicaly, anything that takes your moves out of your control is something I'm not a fan of personaly.
    People who don't know how to use artillery are using artillery, and that scares me. -TacJack
    Bring out the Bikes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

It just depends if your opponent knows how to exploit it to his or her advantage, if at all.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Both, of course! I think without control of the moves it can be a huge disadvantage, but with control of the moves (read: with joined Reclusiarch) it's a wonderful benefit as you can always select where to move and re-roll the dice to see how far you move. Then it's just an extra move in your opponent's shooting phase.

kinkeh secks pl0x?! Brother Tiberius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x2)

well i think its an amazingly great rule, as, like so many other shops, not alot of people generally pick up on trying to "exploit" the rule to there own advantage.

ive once had a Imperial Guard player not shoot for a turn because he was "avoiding" me moving forwards.

and since my army is all mounted in rhinos apart from 3 squads i was kinda puzzled.

look at it this way:

Rhinos move forward 12" you started 12" so now your 24" into the board. Pop smoke.
    They Shoot destroy a couple rhinos. your men jump out.

Now they have a choice. they shoot and risk the chance that your drooling religous crazy combat marines run forward and additional 6" putting them 30" onto the board. or they leave the marines sitting there. to move an additional 6" anyway without casualties and rapid fir some kind of assault weapon.

we all no what will happen. the marines will be shot at. so at the beginning of your turn you will be 30" then you move 6" and assault 6" (putting you well into there deployment zone)

this means you are in combat with a shooting army. You win.

but then again.. thats just my 2 cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

If you're right in your opponent's face (6" away or less) it's a lovely ability as it forces your opponent to choose between getting the charge off and getting to shoot. If you're between 12" and 18"it's fairly nice as well, as you can get pulled into charge range if your opponent shoots at you. It's always nice to avoid rapid fire range.

One of the downsides that I rarely see mentioned is that it's just one more rules complication to deal with. Recently I played a game with a friend of mine where he was standing in cover and shot a crusader squad. The RZ roll put my squad into close combat. This definately was not a charge, but he insisted that since he was in cover he struck first (first round of combat) while I felt that we would strike in initiative order because there was no charge (if I recall, the rule says 'when charged' not 'first round of combat'.)

Then you have the question of do you have to move the full d6 inches for RZ? Most people agree yes, but the wording of the rule certainly suggests that you don't have to.

Take a look at the Chaplain's modifications of Righteous Zeal. Now, you can choose which unit you zeal towards with him... however, there's a bit of disagreement as to if you can only zeal towards visible enemy units or not.

Throw in mixed armor, and you've got a whole bag of obnoxious rule problems.
    You play your game, I'll play mine.

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

I think its a hiderence.

It would suck that your sneaky counter charge team gets blasted by ordnance after being drawn out of cover by Zeal.

+ Reply to Thread